cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just a couple of Noob questions...

ambrosio928
Protege
Regarding the Oculus Rift set being released August 7th (link below)

1. Will this VR system be good for all ones VR needs? Meaning its not just for games Oculus publishes but if others design VR games this headgear and setup is good to go for any VR software?

2. Besides the PC can the new Oc Rift be used on the Xbox One S as well? And If so is there any adapters that will be needed to purchase separately or will it be included with the gear already?

Hope this can be answered officially and thanks in advance for the info!

Oculus Rift + Touch Virtual Reality System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073X8N1YW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_bRdBzbKKM24BK

P.S. I think the new Marvel Power United VR trailer definitely sealed the deal for me. Oh Yeah! I gotta have it!
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

kzintzi
Trustee
1 - yes, for a given value of yes. SteamVR supports the Oculus rift, but it relies on developers to support the touch controllers properly. ultimately this is a time question/issue. I can't answer for any of the other distribution platforms out there. my personal experience is that stuff in Home works better than stuff in  SteamVR, but I'll happily admit that I haven't played/looked at anything in SteamVR for 9 months now. others on the forum will be able to give you better answers.

2 - no. by the looks of it Microsoft are doing their own headsets, so I expect they will support the XBOneS.

if you do make the jump, welcome aboard.. it's LOTS of fun :smile:

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

View solution in original post

Cpt_Custard
Adventurer
1. Yes, Ive had mine 5 days now and there is a big mixture of stuff, free and paid. I have been a big user of steam for the last 15 years, I didn't think I would be saying this but I like the Oculus home better than steam home. It is simpler and more intuitive to use but there are some things that are only available on steam i.e The Lab. So while it is necessary to have both I spend more time in Oculus home. I have also read (but not tried) you can also subscribe to viveport the HTC vive storefront/home but you have to be careful what you buy because some games are made only for the vive controllers.

2. No

With the huge price difference atm in the summer sale the rift was the best option for me.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

kzintzi
Trustee
1 - yes, for a given value of yes. SteamVR supports the Oculus rift, but it relies on developers to support the touch controllers properly. ultimately this is a time question/issue. I can't answer for any of the other distribution platforms out there. my personal experience is that stuff in Home works better than stuff in  SteamVR, but I'll happily admit that I haven't played/looked at anything in SteamVR for 9 months now. others on the forum will be able to give you better answers.

2 - no. by the looks of it Microsoft are doing their own headsets, so I expect they will support the XBOneS.

Cpt_Custard
Adventurer
1. Yes, Ive had mine 5 days now and there is a big mixture of stuff, free and paid. I have been a big user of steam for the last 15 years, I didn't think I would be saying this but I like the Oculus home better than steam home. It is simpler and more intuitive to use but there are some things that are only available on steam i.e The Lab. So while it is necessary to have both I spend more time in Oculus home. I have also read (but not tried) you can also subscribe to viveport the HTC vive storefront/home but you have to be careful what you buy because some games are made only for the vive controllers.

2. No

With the huge price difference atm in the summer sale the rift was the best option for me.

ambrosio928
Protege

kzintzi

Thanks for your answers... I am definitely making the jump... I have a PC that is VR ready and well meets the recommended requirements... Especially since by your answer, Oculus VR appears that it will be available across developers titles... So count me in for sure! 

Yeah.. I noticed lately Microsoft has been undertaking in some of the proprietary policies like Apple and going with branded & self designed accessories and hardware... Especially with all the hype around VR for 2018... Either way should be a fun year for the industry... WE shall see!

Thanks again... Have a good one!

ambrosio928
Protege

2. No

Thanks Man... Appreciate the info! 
And I agree with OC Rift and pricing... That is also a major factor that made me choose to get this besides the Marvel game coming out in 2018...

ambrosio928
Protege

kzintzi said:

Thanks for the info sir! But Im definitely making the jump... Already have actually... just waiting on the hardware! 😉

kzintzi
Trustee
awesome :smile:

you have so many options to choose from now..