cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We were kings of the hill...

elboffor
Consultant
Oculus have sold a shit ton o units and the forum is alive with new blood and shit loads o posts. 

Long gone are the days where i coukd read every post and look forward to the debating, arguing, 10 page threadnaughts and memes of days passed.

It makes me a saaaad panda

Does any of the other regulars feel the same or is it just me?

Its even got to the point where this isnt my most visited site anymore

https://youtu.be/fxfTL8etjAY

This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.
65 REPLIES 65

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The forum is constantly evolving. Long before even I arrived there was a different set of Kings marching around this place. Most of the Old Timers are gone, although I believe we all appreciate those who remained. Well maybe except like one or two  😘

We are in the middle of the Oculus summer sale so it will be awhile before things start to settle down. This is exactly how the forum was during the first price cut. It just feels longer because the darn sale is lasting longer. But everything will be back to giggles and sheits by Christmas.

Although even if things don't go back to how they were, I'm perfectly okay with that. There is so much better conversation to be had as virtual reality becomes more mainstream and these Oculus titles continue to amaze.

Most of the arguments you refer to revolved around certain individuals attempting to predict the demise of Oculus. The overwhelming stream of newcomers coupled with repeated quality title releases serve as a natural ward against the self-defeating rhetoric of the past. Maybe now we can all finally get on with what we are really here for: Quality virtual reality contributions.

elboffor
Consultant
Fuck you zenbane with your constantly positive posts :pensive:
Im trying to be all wow is me n shit here.
Now tow the dam line and agree its all bollox and lets have a row?

Pleeeese?
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Syrellaris
Rising Star
well, i get tired seeing the constant flood of "when will it ship" posts... as if people can't read the other 50 bazillion topics regarding it =/

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Yeah, the forum is kind of awash in shipping posts, and angst over delays and complaints about lack of communication... takes me back to the original release period!

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Techy111
MVP
MVP
dku4yczi0f1x.jpg
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

OpticKing
Expert Trustee
Intel partners with oculus - gives oculus users free echo arena for 3 months - vivers get outta footing the bill for it.

Though I guess anything helps after paying 2x as much+ for the vive to get a rift like experience.

Side note: Atmos, out of curiosity, how comfy is it to throw the disk with the new knuckles? Also are the hand thruster buttons easy or awkward to push with the general position your hand gravitates towards after a throw/catch? Also do the knuckles, once tightened, really pinch the side of the palm after 30 mins - an hour of use, I've seen this in some reviews.

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
pftt.. I was here back in 2013 when this forum was really full of debate, and lots of strange characters and goings on. Back then everyone was (mostly) pro oculus (this was pre-facebook; in fact I recall making a 'hitler' downfall video when oculus sold to facebook and posting it on here).

Also back then it was mostly devs and VERy early adopters (Dk1 and DK2 users) and we'd mostly debate concepts and solutions for VR, argue about what would or wouldn't work... don't think many of us had even thought about stuff like teleportation being a major factor in modern VR etc (for better or worse). 

Anyhow, those days came and went, most of those guys went... I was far from one of the earliest though, they were really hardcore guys who came across from the MTBS3D forums (where Palmer used to hang out as a kid with a dream) > http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=14777 <

So, in short, forums and user bases adapt, evolve, even devolve and rather than lament the changes I guess for all of VR we should be thankful that one of its major players (and arguably one its most important) are currently enjoying a popularity resurgence thus boosting good word of mouth for VR regardless of system.

Come gen 2 when oculus mess up the launch, run out of stock, miss the ballpark, pack in an atari joystick, or ditch PC VR altogether to go full standalone completely, I'm sure you can all get back to whatever it is you now miss.
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro

CrashFu
Consultant
I mean the forum itself is already frequented by such a smaaaaall portion of Rift owners to begin with, I've always kinda felt like we're all fairly irrelevant anyways. :kiss:

Unless Oculus staff and game devs actually pay attention to what we say here, in which case fuck yeah we ARE the kings of VR. :sunglasses:

(Either way we're clearly a step above all those plebians who still haven't given VR a chance.  Obviously.)
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer

Atmos73 said:

Well I'm back off holiday so we can can another Rift v Vive dingdong/debate if you like?

I hear Vivers get Echo Arena for free! Thanks.

Along with a metric ton of SDE and sinus pressure and/or another $100+ taken from your bank account!

Now.. about those 'debates' 😉 "I don't know what side I'll be on come gen 2 but I know we'll be using virtual sticks and stones come gen 3."
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro