New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Island 359 ?

dburnedburne Posts: 3,086 Valuable Player
Anyone have this one yet? Saw it on sale this morning and it looked interesting so grabbed it. Seem to be having trouble getting it installed - first it took a long time for the download to even start, now it is doing the install process and seems to be hung up about 3/4 the way through... been sitting here like this for about 10 min...
Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,086 Valuable Player
    edited July 2017
    Well 45 min later and still just stuck on installing. Even tried exiting out of Home and opening Home again, still the same. Stuck about 3/4 way through. Can not uninstall and can not start the game, ugh. 

Beware!
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Whew, ok finally got it installed. Had to delete it from download folder and restart Oculus Service, then it downloaded and installed properly. May be a while before I get a chance to try it though.
    Don

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,950 Valuable Player
    I looked at it on YouTube, but all the guy seemed to do was jump into a lookout tower and kill the Dino's. Teleportation only mode aswell, so it's not for me.
  • uKERuKER Posts: 162
    Art3mis
    I got it on Steam but refunded it as it seemed a very average wave shooter.
    Like Brookhaven Experiment with dinosaurs.
    The graphics are nice and all (except for the lack of shadows), but it didn't do it for me.
    Hmm well sounds like when I get around to playing this I might have some regrets. Oh well least I got it on a bit of a sale lol.
    Don

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,890 Valuable Player
    edited July 2017
    I never played Brookhaven Experiment, but I have heard good things about it. So comparing Island 359 to Brookhaven seems like a compliment, no?

I don't plan to purchase Brookhaven (because it has that Vive stench, na' mean?); so I just may consider Island 359 soon.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • VirtualRealityOasisVirtualRealityOasis Posts: 91
    Hiro Protagonist
    lovethis said:
    I looked at it on YouTube, but all the guy seemed to do was jump into a lookout tower and kill the Dino's. Teleportation only mode aswell, so it's not for me.
    This game has 5 different movement options including full locomotion ;) I have a video covering the game on the channel soon!
    www.youtube.com/virtualrealityoasis
    Great, I'll take a look when the video goes up. The YouTube video I saw above said that it was Teleportation only, so it's a bit misleading.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    edited July 2017
    I've had Island 359 for awhile and it's fun but it's not a complete game yet imo. The developers are pretty active though and the game has been coming along pretty steadily There's a lot of stuff planned for it too.

There's a basic arcade/wave shooter mode where you get constantly rushed by Dinos and you simply just kill them all. Not a big fan of this mode but you gotta do it to purchase abilities. The Mercenary mode though is great and you are the hunter that tries not to become the hunted lol. The maps are pretty large so you get to roam around and explore. I quite enjoy the Mercenary mode and have gotten my money's worth out of it from that. Graphics are pretty good and the jungle map especially gives great immersion.

Overall a decent game with a (probably) better future. My main complaint is I wish there were more big dinos to hunt. Currently there's Trex, Allosaurus, Triceratops and they just added a Stegosaurus which is cool but I want to see some Spinos, carnos, Brontos, Sarcos etc.  Also with the way the jungle looks in game, would like to have more purpose/possibly another mode like survival but where you are hunted/stalked and you gotta survive and find/manage ammo scattered throughout instead of having to go get crates constantly. Basically like Jurrasic park the movie... end up on the wrong island and gotta find a way out. 
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,136 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    I never played Brookhaven Experiment, but I have heard good things about it. So comparing Island 359 to Brookhaven seems like a compliment, no?

I don't plan to purchase Brookhaven (because it has that Vive stench, na' mean?); so I just may consider Island 359 soon.
    erm.... island 359 is on steam in the same way that brookhaven is on oculus store.  if you hate one for that reason it only seems fair to treat them equally.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • CalmfixupCalmfixup Posts: 288
    Nexus 6
    pyroth309 said:
    I've had Island 359 for awhile and it's fun but it's not a complete game yet imo. The developers are pretty active though and the game has been coming along pretty steadily There's a lot of stuff planned for it too.

There's a basic arcade/wave shooter mode where you get constantly rushed by Dinos and you simply just kill them all. Not a big fan of this mode but you gotta do it to purchase abilities. The Mercenary mode though is great and you are the hunter that tries not to become the hunted lol. The maps are pretty large so you get to roam around and explore. I quite enjoy the Mercenary mode and have gotten my money's worth out of it from that. Graphics are pretty good and the jungle map especially gives great immersion.

Overall a decent game with a (probably) better future. My main complaint is I wish there were more big dinos to hunt. Currently there's Trex, Allosaurus, Triceratops and they just added a Stegosaurus which is cool but I want to see some Spinos, carnos, Brontos, Sarcos etc.  Also with the way the jungle looks in game, would like to have more purpose/possibly another mode like survival but where you are hunted/stalked and you gotta survive and find/manage ammo scattered throughout instead of having to go get crates constantly. Basically like Jurrasic park the movie... end up on the wrong island and gotta find a way out. 
    You just made me want to buy it now!
  • ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 540
    Neo
    Had this on Steam a while back after 1st playing it on my mates Vive and have rather enjoyed it.

Mercenary mode is the only one you'll really want to bother with. Although the mode where you just have a bow and arrow is also quite good. Gives you a real appreciation for the bow, and if you're anything like me it'll end up being your most used weapon. Silent, deadly and with unlimited ammo; it's almost a bit over powered really.

All in all it's good fun. The backpack mechanic is really good and the weapons all feel really nice too. It won't keep you playing for hours and hours but it's good to put on once in a while when you want to stalk some dinos.
    erm.... island 359 is on steam in the same way that brookhaven is on oculus store.  if you hate one for that reason it only seems fair to treat them equally.

Whaa? That made zero sense. If I hate Steam then I should also hate non-Steam?

Stop trying to be clever, mister :D
  • SadGamerDadSadGamerDad Posts: 327
    Trinity
    edited July 2017
    Here's my video of it. I think the hunting thing is pretty cool.. I wonder how someone got into a tower? I wasn't able to use to using Sprint teleport mode. I didn't see a full locomotion mode for the Touch sticks..   There is also a loot drop mode for both arcade and mercenary mode. There are global leaderboards as well. 

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,136 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:

lol clever? me, nah! sadly not!. ;)

I genuinely dont get your logic and was not trying to be obtuse. 

If Brookhaven, a game sold on both the steam sore and oculus store has the stench of vive

surely island 359 a game also on steam store and oculus store should smell the same?

I dont get it!....
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited July 2017
    @SadGamerDad - That video just shows how lousy teleportation is as a movement mode. You have to run and stop as you are been chased LOL. If a Dino was chasing me the last thing I'd want to do is to keep stopping due to teleportation movement. 
  • SadGamerDadSadGamerDad Posts: 327
    Trinity
    lovethis said:
    @SadGamerDad - That video just shows how lousy teleportation is as a movement mode. You have to run and stop as you are been chased LOL. If a Dino was chasing me the last thing I'd want to do is to keep stopping due to teleportation movement. 

I know right? I needed to haul some ass and was a helpless little rabbit :)
    edited July 2017
    Zenbane said:

lol clever? me, nah! sadly not!. ;)

I genuinely dont get your logic and was not trying to be obtuse. 

If Brookhaven, a game sold on both the steam sore and oculus store has the stench of vive

surely island 359 a game also on steam store and oculus store should smell the same?

I dont get it!....
    Brookhaven was only on Steam for most of 2016 and launched primarily as a title strictly for the Vive. Of course, this is mostly due to the fact that Brookhaven was built to support full 360-movement and Hand-Controllers right at launch (May 2016). Oculus Rift owners couldn't play this game until the Touch controllers came up nearly half a year later.

That is not the fault of the Brookhaven game, but when I say it has the "stench of Vive" I am talking about the half-year of its release where only the Vive could play it. Brookhaven didn't come to the Oculus store until 2017.

By the time the Dino game was released... both the Rift and Vive could play it. That's the difference.