New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Mesh references and 3D Printing accurate objects - I gave it a go! pics included

SuperRoachSuperRoach Posts: 10
NerveGear
Here was an interesting experiment - Model an accurate mockup of something, and then try to add details and recreate it in Medium! If you don't want to read the rambling, just skip down to the photos below and see what a wireframe mesh reference looks like.

Shortly after making some sculpts in Medium I saw a potential for it to be an amazing creative 3D Printing helper, with the solid creations and raw speed it enables. Dimensions or more importantly the relative scale and position of one part to another is critical for this, and 1.2 has come a long way.

This object was originally made in OpensSCAD, which is good for it's numbery, accurate positioning of stuff. It can let you change the size of a hole or lid just by changing a variable and your whole file changes right away.

So this test is using a Flight controller mount - 30.5mm holes on a square base. Lets do it!

The mesh was originally an STL, then opened in 3D Builder (windows 10) do repair it. Meshmixer FWIW did not work and would not import as a mesh reference by the way.

With the file imported, at the moment they are plain shaded so look like a cartoon - not the best for a depth reference so instead I used it as a mesh view, and used that as a guide to fill in and cut holes.
You can see on the closest two holes here are a flip/duplicate of each other, and the constrain to surface clay tool working over all layers now - is amazing. That curve overlapping multiple layers would have taken a few minutes in the past - this was one instant brush stroke. Amazing. Anyway that helps for giving it a more organic look, and for the goal of 3d printing helps smooth the corner transition on the edges.

I was able to soften the inner hole, with the goal that when putting threaded inserts , it means that the plastic won't ooze out.

Things I learned:

• Working at the mm scale, I needed to up the resolution many times to have a usable non blocky clay brush. With that in mind, I should have created the object at a higher scale right at the end - ie make it be a 3000mm (3m) big object instead of 30mm, and scale it only when i go to 3D Print it.
  • Cutting holes was a bit tricky because I forgot you can't make a layer be see through. If that's not possible, Having a glowing or see through mesh reference would help (so the wires would show up over what you are sculpting).
  • Cutting accurate 90 degree holes was tricky - the Constrain line tool would be perfect, but it relies on your hand to lock in that angle. The new transform tools are amazing, and if you could do that to the line (so I could set a 90 degree line manually), it would be perfect for drilling accurate holes and cuts.
  • The transform tools in general are amazing - world and object level transform/rotations are a godsend!
  • The Snap tool isn't as good as I thought it would be. In this example, I thought I could turn snap on, use .1m and move a connector 3 steps across (30mm). Not so. The increments don't seem to be relative, but absolute - you can see this when you start moving, because you can't move it back in place while sliding it across on an axis. If this was an option somehow (world scale units, relative object units?), it would make it fantastic.
Hope that input helps!

One last photo. The scale of the object is a bit more obvious here - you can see the square part is correctly 3 Squares (30mm) long.

Comments

• ColinBColinB Posts: 236
    Nexus 6
    Nice post !
    Good info.

Rant follows:...........
    Never used Medium as the outcomes always look very poor and of an era around the 1990's or before.
    Lots of hard work and work-arounds just to produce pixelated lores set- in- stone sculptures.
     I do admire the folk that are using it though and do hope some of them are encouraged to progress further into "more serious" 3D modelling?

I guess though it's the actual experience of VR  modelling that has made the "Medium" software so popular.
    Your post sheds more interesting and possibly more valuable options for those without the bucks to spend on other (expensive) solutions for 3d printing, outputting !! etc etc. Well done.
  • MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 359 Oculus Staff
    ColinB said:
    Nice post !
    Good info.

Never used Medium as the outcomes always look very poor and of an era around the 1990's or before.
    Lots of hard work and work-arounds just to produce pixelated lores set- in- stone sculptures.
     I do admire the folk that are using it though and do hope some of them are encouraged to progress further into "more serious" 3D modelling?

I guess though it's the actual experience of VR  modelling that has made the "Medium" software so popular.
    Your post sheds more interesting and possibly more valuable options for those without the bucks to spend on other (expensive) solutions for 3d printing, outputting !! etc etc. Well done.
    Quite surprised to hear a takeaway like this. Not entirely sure what works you're looking at but this forum is full of extremely detailed work done with Medium, without "work-arounds". 

I'm far from a professional artist and I produced this entirely in Medium, with just the clay, inflate, and paint tools.

Why not give it a try and see for yourself? It's free with your Touch controllers.

Things I learned:

• Working at the mm scale, I needed to up the resolution many times to have a usable non blocky clay brush. With that in mind, I should have created the object at a higher scale right at the end - ie make it be a 3000mm (3m) big object instead of 30mm, and scale it only when i go to 3D Print it.
    • Cutting holes was a bit tricky because I forgot you can't make a layer be see through. If that's not possible, Having a glowing or see through mesh reference would help (so the wires would show up over what you are sculpting).
    • Cutting accurate 90 degree holes was tricky - the Constrain line tool would be perfect, but it relies on your hand to lock in that angle. The new transform tools are amazing, and if you could do that to the line (so I could set a 90 degree line manually), it would be perfect for drilling accurate holes and cuts.
    • The transform tools in general are amazing - world and object level transform/rotations are a godsend!
    • The Snap tool isn't as good as I thought it would be. In this example, I thought I could turn snap on, use .1m and move a connector 3 steps across (30mm). Not so. The increments don't seem to be relative, but absolute - you can see this when you start moving, because you can't move it back in place while sliding it across on an axis. If this was an option somehow (world scale units, relative object units?), it would make it fantastic.

Thanks for the writeup, super interesting. So far I've only 3D printed more organic shaped stuff out of medium so this is super good feedback. 

We're certainly aware of the needs for snap to *things*, we're working on good ways to handle all the potential options for snap to grid, surface, etc. It's definately high on the list now that we have sort of the basics in there. 

Simplifying and clarifying the scale and origin UI as well. 

Would love to see end results if you end up printing something.
    Nexus 6
    ColinB said:
    Nice post !
    Good info.

Quite surprised to hear a takeaway like this. Not entirely sure what works you're looking at but this forum is full of extremely detailed work done with Medium, without "work-arounds". 

I'm far from a professional artist and I produced this entirely in Medium, with just the clay, inflate, and paint tools.

Why not give it a try and see for yourself? It's free with your Touch controllers.
    Thanks, Matt for that.
    Nice organic render there looks just great.
    Any chance of providing a wire frame of the mesh?
    Love to see it.
    You may change my mind ! :)
    Well, we're essentially a voxel based program so there is no mesh necessarily. We support exporting into OBJ/FBX with vertex colors or textures. You can also share to the web and can either add to your copy of Medium there and have a look or directly download an OBJ. 

Here's my gallery with the frog sculpt and you're welcome to download the OBJ there and have a look. 
    https://www.oculus.com/medium/sculpts/229911500836725/

It's worth noting that there's much more control over the mesh export in app, as the web one is just max res with no reduction so they're huge :) 
    Nexus 6
    Hi Matt,
    Thanks for carrying on with this I guess I should have asked for the file size of your render object?
    Have you ever exported your models to Max or whatever?
    Any probs with geometry? file size etc?
    A lot of my stuff needs to be animated. Is there any option for this in Medium yet?

The attached pix will show you the work I do here in Australia. A lot of surf stuff for posters and some gaming work with my own characters. These are untouched renders from Max.

All of my work I do in Max. However I'm always searching for a good VR modeller that will come up to the standard that  3dsMax provides.
    Autocad did have some solutions for VR but they broke with each Oculus update and as there are so few modellers that actually use VR, there is very little call for any "serious" software to develop this.
    Of course there are probs with VR..sometimes one needs specific view that VR does not at the moment provide. Non perspective views can be very important to correct modelling.

Can't wait for a good VR app that will provide the standard of models that Max does and adds Animation Timelines bones etc etc  :)
    I guess it will come at some time. Medium however at the moment is at least a great start even though it is (for me) impractical for serious stuff..at the moment.