cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few noob questions

Terrikus
Explorer

Hi everyone. I still had some questions before my Rift arrives.

I wanted to do a 3-sensor setup, so I ordered an new sensor. Now there's a few things that I'm not clear on regarding the setup:

1. I know generally speaking you want to set up the sensors on a high place, angling them down towards the play area, but I'm still iffy on ranges. I'd read conflicting reports on how accurate the tracking is when farther away.

Ex: I was planning on putting two of the sensors up on two book shelves in front of me. These two sensors would be about 6-7 feet apart from each other, and somewhere between 8-9 feet away from the play area. The third sensor was going to be placed either on another bookshelf a little off to the side behind me, or mounted on the ceiling. This third sensor would be upwards of 15-16 feet distant from the first two sensors. Is this too far?

I was also thinking of picking up these cables: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMFB5OK/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=cooleobrad-20&ca...

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045532LU/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=cooleobrad-20&ca...

Anyone have experience with these or have a better suggestion?

1. The USB situation.

-I have an Asus X99 Deluxe motherboard. This is flush with USB 3.0 ports. I have 10 USB 3.0 ports on the back panel alone. Do I still need to buy a separate USB card? I am uncertain if people purchase the card because of the lack of USB 3.0 ports on their computer, or if there's another reason I would need to do so.

Other Q's

1. How easy is it to actually scratch the oculus lens? Reading some stories I get the impression that it scratches like a hot knife through butter. Is this the case with the CV 1 model (I assume that's the one in the summer sale)? I ordered 44mm Healingshield covers just in case, but I don't like to stick things on unless its necessary. Has anyone had any experience with these?

2. Has anyone tried out the VR lens inserts? I do wear glasses, but I'm more or less resigned to putting in contacts again if I have to. If you have, how well do they work? Is there any image distortion? Are they easy to remove---I can't assume that anyone else that I might want to let try would happen to have the same prescription.

Thanks for your patience. I'm completely new to VR and it's a little bit more in depth than I was expecting.

12 REPLIES 12

nalex66
MVP
MVP
You'll have better coverage if you move that top sensor to one of the corners. You might lose a bit of coverage in the other corner, but if you put it in the middle you lose it in both corners. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Terrikus
Explorer

nalex66 said:

You'll have better coverage if you move that top sensor to one of the corners. You might lose a bit of coverage in the other corner, but if you put it in the middle you lose it in both corners. 

Even if it means the diagonal from that corner to the sensor on the bookshelf is a bit over 14 ft?  I think it measures to roughly 14.5 ft from that corner to where the other camera would be sitting and the FAQ said nothing over 14 ft between two sensors.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Yeah, that should be fine. I've got a similar distance on my diagonal, and it tracks very well. 

The setup program didn't say anything about my diagonal distance, but it did want me to push the rear sensor right to the side (I have it about one foot in due to furniture and sight lines). 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo