cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summer Of Rift Delivery Not happening.

bruce_02
Protege
Ordered the Rift bundle 4 days ago and a friend ordered hes 2 hours before i ordered mine, He's was processed the same day and shipped the next mine has not even been processed. Have submitted a ticket but as a paying consumer why cant we all get a answer on this delay. I see a lot of people are in the same boat even having orders cancelled???
We just want an explanation, Don't get me wrong i understand the volume they may be dealing with but if any well organised company was going to advertise a massive special should they have not preempted this influx????
No one can seem to get answers other then your order will be processed in due time.
Oculus you set to set the record straight and give your customers some answers on this delay, (not enough stock), (need to manufacture more??) ( or is it just a manpower issue)
Which one is it?????

We all want our product but it is painful with no communication.
45 REPLIES 45

Seansation
Expert Protege

idimmu said:

I'm keeping an eye on my order with oculus and watching stock levels with other UK suppliers, will cancel and buy elsewhere if someone else gets stock in before oculus ships. This total lack of ETA is shocking levels of BS. Of course they know the ETA. They will be in constant touch with suppliers, so they know when they will have stock, and they know when they are able to shop, meaning rough estimates of shipping dates is totally feasable, so I don't understand how they can sit and say "you'll get it when you do, stop asking"

Pretty simple actually, because no matter what companies can't do right by it's customers. Specially not when they are as impatient as they are these days.

If they give you an Estimated Time of Arrival and for some reason, something happens to which they can't make that ETA, people are going to bitch and moan even more, then they do now. That is why companies keep quiet about stuff like that, because customers can;t behave and be patient.

Fact is however, VR goggles are not mass produced like televisions, washing machines and so forth and thgerefor aren't always in stock. If they run out of stock, they need to produce more units. These units will have to be shipped to various global Dealers, which in turn will ship it to either customers, warehouses or stores. Shipping takes time. Heck, many cargo planes don't fly at night or in the weekends so that extends the wait.

It sucks, but you'll just have to be patient. People who ordered before you and are on the waiting list, will generally get it before you as well. So yeah.

People are not as patient because they have come to expect a better level of service these days.  Feel free to make whatever excuses you wish on behalf of Oculus, fact remains the customer service has been dismal and the lack of communication completely unsatisfactory.  

Honestly, props to you and your patience - sadly, this is the first company who has EVER been unable to provide an ETA to me and I don't find it remotely acceptable.
Acer XB271HU | i7 6700K | ASUS Strix 1080 Ti 11GB | ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Mobo | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX  | EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold 1000W | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1TB | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500GB | Windows 10 64 bit | NZXT Noctis 450 

MacHaggis
Protege
We are all bummed about having to wait this long on our fancy new toy, but what exactly are you expecting oculus support to do here? 

They acknowledged that there are shortage issues and that they are being worked on. They mentioned that they hope to have fixed the shortage issues by the second week of august, but that every order until then will be delayed.

They are out of stock, so we have to wait. It sucks, yes, but crying about it won't help.

EliteSPA
Superstar
Oculus is making again the same mistake with the stock, if you are going to make a big drop in price with this special bundle you should know that a lot of orders are going to happen you should be prepared before doing that offer...jesus.....they only thing you are getting now this is a lot of mad customers again and the forum full of shipping problems, the story repeats and they havent learn the lesson.....I love Oculus and has been always very helpfull but sorry this is wrong. But guys believe me the wait is worth it, when I ordered march 2016 I had it home on May.
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

shiari
Heroic Explorer
So, how much is a lot? How many does retailer X in country Y need? Or is it perhaps that most orders will unexpectedly come (and how could you have known?) from country Z instead?

From what I know (might be wrong about this) it's also up to retailers to order adequate stock, but again, it is hard to predict exactly how popular a given product will be.

It's not an easy logistical puzzle to solve by any stretch, and Oculus are not a logistics company and might be trying to solve this themselves rather than outsourcing it. But even a dedicated logistics company would probably struggle with giving even approximate estimates.

Syrellaris
Rising Star

idimmu said:

I'm keeping an eye on my order with oculus and watching stock levels with other UK suppliers, will cancel and buy elsewhere if someone else gets stock in before oculus ships. This total lack of ETA is shocking levels of BS. Of course they know the ETA. They will be in constant touch with suppliers, so they know when they will have stock, and they know when they are able to shop, meaning rough estimates of shipping dates is totally feasable, so I don't understand how they can sit and say "you'll get it when you do, stop asking"

Pretty simple actually, because no matter what companies can't do right by it's customers. Specially not when they are as impatient as they are these days.

If they give you an Estimated Time of Arrival and for some reason, something happens to which they can't make that ETA, people are going to bitch and moan even more, then they do now. That is why companies keep quiet about stuff like that, because customers can;t behave and be patient.

Fact is however, VR goggles are not mass produced like televisions, washing machines and so forth and thgerefor aren't always in stock. If they run out of stock, they need to produce more units. These units will have to be shipped to various global Dealers, which in turn will ship it to either customers, warehouses or stores. Shipping takes time. Heck, many cargo planes don't fly at night or in the weekends so that extends the wait.

It sucks, but you'll just have to be patient. People who ordered before you and are on the waiting list, will generally get it before you as well. So yeah.

People are not as patient because they have come to expect a better level of service these days.  Feel free to make whatever excuses you wish on behalf of Oculus, fact remains the customer service has been dismal and the lack of communication completely unsatisfactory.  

Honestly, props to you and your patience - sadly, this is the first company who has EVER been unable to provide an ETA to me and I don't find it remotely acceptable.

You don't find it remotely acceptable because you are used to companies who can manufacture devices and other items by machines in factories, that produce several thousands of units a day. They can do this, because they know their market is already big enough to allow this mass production.

VR does not have that type of backing yet and there isn't any real way to mass produce this yet, by using machines. Most of its Assembly, is still done by human hands.

In other words, you find it unacceptable  because you are spoiled, and I get that, we all are in this era. We all expect to get things delivered within several days and such, to the point it sucks when it doesn't.

EliteSPA said:

Oculus is making again the same mistake with
the stock, if you are going to make a big drop in price with this
special bundle you should know that a lot of orders are going to happen
you should be prepared before doing that offer...jesus.....they only
thing you are getting now this is a lot of mad customers again and the
forum full of shipping problems, the story repeats and they havent learn
the lesson.....I love Oculus and has been always very helpfull but
sorry this is wrong. But guys believe me the wait is worth it, when I
ordered march 2016 I had it home on May.

It is not a mainstream product, the price drop might be nice, but there
is simply no way to predict how much of it they will sell. The backing
is simply not big enough for VR to do that.  I believe the highest
selling VR game has only sold a little over a million units.

Where
as companies like Microsoft, sony and Nintendo when producing new
consoles, know that on release they will sell Several million units and
up to 10 million + in a year. When Oculus has say 150000 units available
for the sale, and 200k people order due to the price drop, that is a
more then an acceptable number(these are examples) but that means 50000
people will have to wait for new units that need to be produced, shipped
etc.

VR companies simply arent going to stock 2 million units, in the hope it might sell one day.

idimmu
Expert Protege

idimmu said:

IF they gave me an ETA, say 2 months waiting list from order, I'd be fine with that.

Say something went wrong and they couldn't do it in that time frame, if I got an email saying "due to x reason, the ETA has been pushed back x amount of time" I'd be fine with that too.

The waiting isn't the issue in the slightest, its the entire "we know, you don't, we aren't going to tell you" attitude that I massivly dislike.

inovator
Consultant
Delivery is slow because the summer sale created huge demand. I'm waiting for a rift to replace one the has been scratched up lenses. I'm glad we have this problem since we need a bigger  base.

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
if I can I'll always buy via amazon. Ordered day one of sale and got it the next week (old sku with extras). free shipping next day (prime). This was obviously before they went out of stock. Just sayin'. nae mean?
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro

Dewiii
Protege

idimmu said:

idimmu said:

IF they gave me an ETA, say 2 months waiting list from order, I'd be fine with that.

Say something went wrong and they couldn't do it in that time frame, if I got an email saying "due to x reason, the ETA has been pushed back x amount of time" I'd be fine with that too.

The waiting isn't the issue in the slightest, its the entire "we know, you don't, we aren't going to tell you" attitude that I massivly dislike.

The Support sent me this:

Thank you for contacting Oculus Support.

We've seen overwhelming demand with the Summer of Rift sale, and we’re working hard to deliver your Rift and Touch bundle as soon as possible.

We’re expediting inventory to fulfill outstanding Oculus.com webstore bundle orders globally, and we expect to see improvements in shipments over the next two weeks. We’ll be sure to notify you when your Rift + Touch bundle is on its way.

We plan to be back in-stock for new orders globally by mid-August. Online and local retailers may offer different or faster estimates, and we’re easily able to cancel your order if you’d like to purchase through a retail partner instead.

So it will probably take 1 - 2 weeks

Chyrenz
Protege
Just got off a chat session with Amazon and they advised me that they are out of stock at the moment as well