cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Left thumb and right index finger not working!!

Drafto
Explorer
I know there's a growing number of people having capacitive touch sensors issues, and usually the same finger/controller. So this issue needs to be more recognised by support as I'm not getting anything useful so far... 

To put in short (ish) - my thumb and finger are not working as they should. I have two sensors (360 setup) and ordered another sensor to see if that will fix it. If I play Dead & Buried, everything works just fine. If I do the touch tutorial, I can see if picks up my left thumb when I hover over other buttons, but unable to complete the tutorial as it wont lift the thumb. 

So why would it work on a game but not work on anything else? Is this then a software issue with Oculus Home? Hardware issue would mean it wouldn't work on anything, which I'd prefer to be the case as I can easily set up a RMA. 

I have tried all fixes that people have listed on here/reddit (thanks guys), the only thing I haven't tried is a full reinstall of Windows. 

Guess I'll just fist bump VR buttons for now... 

24 REPLIES 24

Tattoo_Dude
Expert Protege
This is indeed an ongoing issue that is not being recognized or acknowledged by Oculus. My nephew just had the same problem and was able to resolve it (temporarily, as it turned out) but uninstalling Sonic Suite. Then after a few days, the left thumb locked up mid game and he could not let go of objects. Then yesterday he got (finally) got his free games (Robo Recall, ect) and the thumb suddenly started working again! Once in game though, he got terrible screen stutter. More research found that AI Suite can cause that! 

And I actually had a "left thumb lock" panic moment myself just last night! Now, I have never encounter and issues with my controllers up to this point, but I had a few minutes after finishing Lone Echo and decided to mess around with my avatar. Upon entering the editing screen, my hands weren't even there. Then after messing around for a bit and changing the colors, my hands appeared with the left thumb stuck and only working is certain positions. I did a reboot of my computer and when I opened Home, everything was back to normal fortunately.

These software conflicts and bugs need to be seriously catalogued and looked into by Oculus. At least to let us know they exist! Customer support seems to be clueless as they made no suggestions of possible software issues just "rerun the set up" and "send us a log".

Drafto
Explorer
Thanks for the reply, I don't have Sonic Suite but do have Realtek or whatever Gigabyte supply - so will give try messing with that software for a fix. So thanks for the tip!

We really need everyone that is having issues like this to bombard Oculus and their support team. Sending a link about rerunning setup is not going to cut it, that's clearly the first thing we are going to do.

I feel that support would sort out an immediate RMA if they weren't struggling with running out of stock. Although many people are getting new ones and issues coming back - so not a hardware issue then?? A new update might fix things? I believe 1.17 is just around the corner. 

Stargorger
Honored Guest
Having the same issue. Restarting the oculus app or rerunning sensor and touch setup seems to help at times but not consistently enough, and even then the right thumb sensor is still super 'sticky' (I have to almost life my entire hand off the controller to get it to sense the 'thumb up' position. Not cool Oculus.

e_dilbert
Protege
i have confirmed the problem with my right thumb sensor issue, it is the connection between the sensor pad and the spring contact. what i did was solder a piece of wire from the spring contact to the sensor pad, and it works flawlessly. this is because oculus opted to use glue instead of screws or a jumper wire to secure this connection. before i did the jumper wire thing, my thumb was always 'sensed' and always down.

e_dilbert
Protege
hope this will help someone with the thumbs up (or down issue)

e_dilbert
Protege
yes, it's a hardware issue

e_dilbert
Protege
careful soldering though

KingNeekVR
Protege
Good find e_dilbert! Would you be able to provide a quick tutorial on how to fix this? Oculus would not do replacement for me as I'm on out the country warranty coverage so the only solution I have is to get it fixed on my own.

e_dilbert
Protege
ao3zx60tnhkh.png