cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this why so little has been happening with the Oculus user experience?

Sax-a-boom
Rising Star
Here's an article where Road To VR talk to Nate Mitchell about the lack of Rooms and Parties on Oculus. Apparently they've been working on an all encompassing.....METAVERSE! 

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-nate-mitchell-on-the-fate-of-rooms-and-parties-on-rift/

And yeah metaverse is a nebulous term that can describe pretty much anything in VR, so who knows what the hell he's talking about. He said we can 'trust him' though, so that's nice! I'll just sit here scratching my clinkers, rocking back and forth in my chair for who knows how many more months, just smiling...and trusting 🙂
33 REPLIES 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
AMD new cards are not looking very good when it comes to pushing new performance numbers either this year. Granted they are selling 1080 and Ti versions for less that will help push getting more customers into the hardware they need to run VR, but for a better higher end VR headset - it's not looking promising this year. Next few years will give a better outcome for sure, but agree I don't really wanna wait that long either to get a headset really.

The question is - What ways can we keep pushing for higher resolution screens while removing the overhead to really run them in the first place. Eye tracking seems to be the golden egg here - but we also need to take a look at other solutions as well to combine the over all performance we need to keep scaling forward to allow higher end headset.

After that , what can we do about movement and the limited space for most VR users. Once we figure out a better solution for both - I am sure VR PC and or anything really will keep pushing VR to the masses rather quickly really. The meta vers idea will work perfectly then with PC VR leading the way forward in the higher end/beta testing new methods and ideas while more stable lower end VR will follow up behind them, but still allow everyone access to the same stuff over all.

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer

kevinw729 said:

Sharpfish said:.
I don't think I can hold out til 2019 for a rift 2, I'll be looking at LG's new one, and whatever comes next year, but it can't just be the HMD/tech, it has to have some decent backing (so basically Steam VR or Facebook are the only choices right now) and needs to be ergonomically sound.

Sorry @sharpfish - but the LG PC (highend) headset will not be for consumer deployment. They may change their mind after 19' but may not be worth getting your hopes up.

first I've heard of it, but no skin off my nose as wasn't really interested anyway (I hate vive/valve trackpads). Not sure why they would have hyped it up for consumers >> [https://uploadvr.com/gdc-2017-hands-lgs-steamvr-headset/ ]  "Consumer pricing is yet to be decided"...

then decided not to make it a consumer product though? I know plenty of people who were holding out for it (over rift/vive) seems like money left on the table. Their loss.
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro

Calmfixup
Heroic Explorer
It's kind of nuts to me that you guys are saying you can't wait 2 years for a better headset...2 years will fly by. How often do you upgrade your phones? I'm definitely a tech enthusiast, but I'll wait 2 years to upgrade my phone and am not disappointed. The jump between CV1 and 2 will likely be great, however it won't seem worth it at all if you've spent tons of money in the interim upgrading to every new headset released. Just compare it to other new tech iterations - I believe they said that it would fall somewhere between console and mobile phone refreshes, and that sounds just perfect to me.

elboffor
Consultant
You should buy a rift atmos,
Ule be amazed by the improvements over the htc dev kit uve been using 😉

Clear optics and 4k does sound sweet as fuck tho
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

CrashFu
Consultant

Mradr said:

AMD new cards are not looking very good when it comes to pushing new performance numbers either this year. Granted they are selling 1080 and Ti versions for less that will help push getting more customers into the hardware they need to run VR, but for a better higher end VR headset - it's not looking promising this year. Next few years will give a better outcome for sure, but agree I don't really wanna wait that long either to get a headset really.

You sure about that?  Almost 100% of the people who constantly whine about poor performance in VR games or dissatisfaction with graphics have been Nvidia users, while I'm over here on a $200 AMD card, having zero complaints...

And I have to wonder... is that a coincidence? :wink:
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calmfixup said:

It's kind of nuts to me that you guys are saying you can't wait 2 years for a better headset...2 years will fly by. How often do you upgrade your phones? I'm definitely a tech enthusiast, but I'll wait 2 years to upgrade my phone and am not disappointed. The jump between CV1 and 2 will likely be great, however it won't seem worth it at all if you've spent tons of money in the interim upgrading to every new headset released. Just compare it to other new tech iterations - I believe they said that it would fall somewhere between console and mobile phone refreshes, and that sounds just perfect to me.

Well Oculus release back in 2016 - so it be closer to 3 years if they even release in 2019 that is. Even if they release in 2019 I have a feeling it'll be a late 2019 release. There was even talks of a 2020 release as well. I think people really want a option to upgrade their rift in between that though. Right now - CV1 is great and awesome, but lacks future proofing as the next headset will be leading the way of the future for screen technology. I think that can be a bit off putting when looking at the current VR headset. At least with Gear, for example, you can just buy a new phone and boom better screen as things continue to get better.

It would be super nice if they add in the option to upgrade the screen later in CV2 as a upgrade path. CV#.5 every 2 years and CV#.0 every 3-4 years. This give people options at least going forward allowing some people that don't really wanna wait - to at least get just a "bit more" when they can.

elboffor said:

Couldn't agree more.  I use both every day at work - every day i feel the joy of upgrading, from Vive to Rift.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer

Calmfixup said:

uhmm.. fine if you haven't been into VR since dk1 (and before) and had hoped tech would move a bit faster. I said elsewhere I understand why they are waiting (to refine the tech rather than just throw it out as soon as possible) but if, and I stress *IF* another company release a killer VR system that leaps ahead of rift far enough, within those 2 years, then I'll be seriously looking at getting it.

Not sure why that's hard to understand or 'nuts' when some of us have been using a similar quality level of Rift CV1 VR since 2013? 4 years .. 6 years by then?

If it doesn't happen then ok. Rift is fine for what it is and the best gen 1 I've tried (good enough to keep me happy where the others couldn't!). TBH it's not even so much about resolution now, which with SS and sometimes even without can look pretty good on the rift a lot of times, but things like better FOV and no God Rays (and wireless) + eye tracking would be very good things to have... sooner, rather than later, esp as a dev.

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer

elboffor said:

Though this may seem a bit exaggerated, I was and still am genuinely impressed by how much better the rift looks compared to my old Vive. God rays, fov and all that notwithstanding, the clarity and uniformity of clear/good looking pixels combined with a much nicer sweetspot (I don't even notice my eyes ever going beyond it unlike Vive) makes the rift's visuals seem so much nicer than the Vive ever did.

I remember when I first got vive and did the demo/tut in the 'white room' (where the furniture packs away), while I was blown away by proper tracked controllers (shooting balloons) I recall thinking 'ok so it's not much of an upgrade from my DK2 as far as SDE and 'pixel mess' is concerned. 

When I tried the rift (before I got one but after I sold vive) it felt like more of an upgrade visually over vive than vive did over Dk2. And that's not a lie. Those small improvements on SDE and central clarity + much better lenses really help. I went from "ok so VR is still at dev kit stage" to "finally, we have a base level of acceptable quality" and as that quality extended to the ergonomics, fit and finish and controls (on rift) I was very happy to jump on board come summer of rift offer time! 🙂 

I'm still surprised by those who claim to have used both saying they are pretty similar, the experience feels so much more refined on Rift it changes VR from a chore into a nice experience I look forward to. PSVR was half way there, definitely more 'fun' to put on than the Vive but the low res and janky tracking was a no go so sold it.

So yeah I'm "happy" with the Rift, for now, but doesn't mean I want to wait till 20-friggin-19 for the next leap in VR quality, I'm not getting any younger and would prefer to be around to use this stuff rather than just keep dreaming about it (Ok I'm only 40 but I'm no spring chicken anymore)

HiThere_
Superstar

Atmos73 said:

The Rift has god rays and I'd hate them just and much if not more than the rings.

Well thing is, those god rays you mention can mostly only be seen with things like white text on a black background (the kind used in the opening credits). Meaning once the game launches those god rays are no longer perceivable, so you don't get to hate them at all.