cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent Updates to Facebook Spaces

bdickason
Explorer
I wanted to share a short update with some of the changes and improvements we've made since Spaces launched. Here are some highlights of both the user-facing and under-the-hood improvements we've made that will lay the foundation for bigger updates soon to come 🙂
  • Avatar Mirror Improvements: It's much easier to select different facial features in the mirror when creating and customizing your avatar.
  • Search for Friends: We've added a virtual keyboard and the ability to search for your friends to Invite or Call them. No more paging through friends to find someone manually!
  • Messenger: You can now resize your Messenger call and respond quickly to messages with 'Like' so you don't have to take off your headset.
  • Experimental Feature - Desktop: Under 'Settings' you'll find a new 'Experimental Features' option. When you turn it on, a new 'Desktop' icon will appear on your tool shelf. Grabbing it will bring your Windows desktop into your space along with a wrist menu option to show it to your friends in your space. We've been using this to develop Spaces in Spaces (meta!) and play games together. We're testing to see if it's a useful way for people to do even more things together in Spaces. Note: If you click 'Show,' anyone in your space can see your desktop, but it will not show up outside of the app in Messenger or selfies.
  • Tons of bugfixes, performance, and latency improvements.

We're excited to see what you do with the new updates!! Share your thoughts, ideas, and feedback here so we know how you're using Spaces or what we're missing and can be improved.
16 REPLIES 16

Ragin666
Explorer
It will be nice, if the back screen problem will be removed. Facebook spaces does not load the space after the facebook login.
At reddit there are also some threads but no solution till now...

bdickason
Explorer
Thanks @Ragin666 can you link me to a few reddit threads? I must have missed them 😞 Happy to look into this. Does the space never load? It just says black? And does restarting the app fix it, or does it always happen?

pcenginefx
Protege
Loving the update to broadcast live to FB - tried that out a lot and did many Spaces > Messenger calls to people. What I'd like to see next is to have more control over taking selfies and sharing. When I take a selfie, I don't necessarily want to share just to my FB feed for everybody to see... I'd like to maybe make it private, or just send that selfie to another person (in VR or via Friends list). Currently I have to go back to FB on my phone/desktop and edit the photo to tag the person or save it to send via messenger.

mbze430
Rising Star
I tried Facebook Spaces last night after months of not using it.  A friend of mine and I wasn't able to invite ANYONE from FB messenger to do a video chat.  Is that feature broken now?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | GSkill 32GB DDR4 | MSI RTX 4090 | Gigabyte Aorus X570 ITX | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB PCIe/NVMe

JohSm67
Rising Star
Got some minor issues;
Desktop space is not shown (in mirror or in the Live window) only black.
Live broadcasting, can't see it as a saved broadcast after session, did also have some issues starting it.
(I asume Live broadcast is supposed to be available to "2D" phone/tablet users and VR users os Spaces?)

Would like to see;

Custom space setup (selectable from menu) for example diffrent pre designed spaces to select from depending on what you want to do and what audience you want to reach (Studio Broadcasting/Classroom/Gamingroom) 

Forexample it would be nice to vhave a studio/broadcasting room (Space) set up with various backdrops/monitors, cameras etc. Then invite a friend and have a live news broadcasting together in that space.. (Like running your own TV channel)

More Tools, like backdrop monitors, tickers, spotlights to build/setup a live broadcasting session.
A Audio(Video) Mixer in the Spaces environment to control your Live broadcasting sessions!
Did have issues getting audio from video (360 & 2D) to LIve broadcasting and to friend sessions, would be nice to control and selecting/mixing audio from Video Clips, Friends & Mic. (And why not also different cameras)

Friends Online, would be nice to indicate who's online with a green circle around avatar/photo! Needed to select friend first to see if he/she was online,,, 

Record & Edit Shows / Sessions, review those before making them public (an offline mode instead of Live)
Browse Public Live sessions and recorded ones.

Finally, make some cross platform integrations with other HMD's and an ARKIT viewer 😉

Great app with possibilities....

/Johan
JohSm

JohSm67
Rising Star
Randomly get some indikation about bad performance, is there any log or other information that you can check to see what’s causing it! Like if it’s on the Client or Server side?

A request! Web cam viewer as a tool would be fun!
want to insert camera stream into the VR world!

3 things to be fixed;

Incoming messenger call seems only to go to my mobile phone and not to the Rift headset!

Start picture and color background, make it bigger, if you look on (to) the sides during startup of it you fell I’ll.... 

Application hangs most of the Times’ when you end it, might be after a session with friend...

/J
JohSm

cero490
Heroic Explorer
So far so good - I really like the direction this is headed and all the progress being made thus far. Keep up the good work!

Tendragon
Honored Guest
Any updates on the blank page?  Spaces was awesome but since an update around the beginning of September it has been unusable.   :'( :'( :'(  I know it's in beta but it doesn't seem there is any progress on this issue.  

eric71ee
Honored Guest
i've got a very bad audio quality (VOIP) in FB Spaces. Friends have the same issue, we tried different combinations to see if only one of us was causing it, but that was not the case, all of us have the same issue.

Anyone else have this issue? any fixes?

thx