cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Earth VR Crashing

Anonymous
Not applicable
My Google Earth VR keeps crashing! I even uninstalled and reinstalled and I get same issue!
23 REPLIES 23

clokwrk
Honored Guest
Also crashing for me. Oculus App Version 1.13.0362051

cybereality
Grand Champion
Please make sure that you have Rift and all monitors connected to the primary dedicated GPU. Nothing can be connected to the motherboard integrated graphics port or secondary video cards. If you are using a laptop, you can try to setting video card settings (for example in the Nvidia control panel 3D settings) to always use the High-Powered GPU. However, laptops can be problematic and may not work in any case.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Short_One
Explorer

Please make sure that you have Rift and all monitors connected to the primary dedicated GPU. Nothing can be connected to the motherboard integrated graphics port or secondary video cards. If you are using a laptop, you can try to setting video card settings (for example in the Nvidia control panel 3D settings) to always use the High-Powered GPU. However, laptops can be problematic and may not work in any case.

I think the issue here is that the CV1 isn't fully a consumer level device yet. My google earth started working again once the 1.14 update had arrived. Normal consumers would not put up with these things. Posting about checking connections when it was previously stated to have worked fine is not that helpful.

Having had the DK1 and DK2 I had no issue with hacking a fix for those devices. Surely the CV1 should just work?

Anyhow, roll on the Cv2. Maybe that will work better.

clokwrk
Honored Guest

I think the issue here is that the CV1 isn't fully a consumer level device yet. My google earth started working again once the 1.14 update had arrived. Normal consumers would not put up with these things. Posting about checking connections when it was previously stated to have worked fine is not that helpful.

Having had the DK1 and DK2 I had no issue with hacking a fix for those devices. Surely the CV1 should just work?

Anyhow, roll on the Cv2. Maybe that will work better.

so I currently do have my monitor plugged into the onboard (need to get a vga to dvi converter). I've tried unplugging everything but the oculus, and it didnt' help. I'll wait for the 1.14 update to get to me, and see if that fixes it.

cybereality
Grand Champion
You can't use the motherbord video port as I mentioned. However, in most cases, you will need at least one monitor connected in addition to Rift. So please look at getting an adapter, ideally a digital one (like DVI or DisplayPort).
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Scapin1989
Honored Guest

Same problem, the point is that yesterday went, then I updated the oculus app and today no longer ...

rupsabbott1
Explorer
yep - same here: running from a Laptop; other games fine: Google Earth VR crashes straight away and exits to main screen... any fixes available akin to the FakeVive patch please?

infobits
Explorer
Same problem here also. Start it up, it displays starting up in the headset then after a few seconds it just exits back to the main Oculus home menu. I have a MSI GT73VR Titan Pro-425 laptop which has one HDMI port.  All the other VR apps start up and run fine on that port.  Google Earth VR has a problem with it. Why don't they just fix it? My Google Earth VR is version 1.3.17421.1134

infobits
Explorer
Any updates on these google earth vr problems with oculus rift on laptop PC's? I bought a mini-displayport to hdmi adapter cable and google earth vr did start up and play but then in the middle of surfing around in it, the video froze and the software locked up. I had to exit to oculus menu to quit. I tried running it again, it started up but did the same thing and crashed after surfing around in a view.  Then it just stopped starting up all together now and just exits when I try to start it up.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled it several times now to see if it will reset something and work again on the display port.  But is just does not work any more.  So the software must have stored some crash setting on my computer somewhere telling it to just exit forever. Google will you please look into this bug and fix it?

infobits
Explorer

infobits said:

Any updates on these google earth vr problems with oculus rift on laptop PC's? I bought a mini-displayport to hdmi adapter cable and google earth vr did start up and play but then in the middle of surfing around in it, the video froze and the software locked up. I had to exit to oculus menu to quit. I tried running it again, it started up but did the same thing and crashed after surfing around in a view.  Then it just stopped starting up all together now and just exits when I try to start it up.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled it several times now to see if it will reset something and work again on the display port.  But is just does not work any more.  So the software must have stored some crash setting on my computer somewhere telling it to just exit forever. Google will you please look into this bug and fix it?

I finally figured out why Google Earth VR wouldn't start up on Oculus Rift on my laptop PC HDMI port. I had the Rift Headset Audio playback device disabled in my audio playback devices settings in Windows 10 Pro. It has to have the Rift Headset Audio enabled.  For all those with laptops with valid HDMI ports using a qualified discrete GPU, make sure you have the audio enabled for the Oculus Rift headset.  Then Google Earth VR will start up and not exit. It's working on my MSI GT73VR Titan Pro 425 laptop now using the single HDMI port. You don't need that separate mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter which by the way also requires the audio feed to be enable or it too won't work properly. Problem solved here.