cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to install Oculus Setup

Rhinne
Honored Guest
I have been trying to install the Oculus Setup for the past few hours and having no luck at all. Every time I try to install it tells me there was an error and a restart is required. After restarting the PC, I get the exact same issue. 

I had a look around online and found various fixes - altering the permissions in regedit etc - but the info in my install log doesn't match what I've seen on those posts. 

I'm running Windows 10 Insider Preview 16237.1001
I have a GTX 1060 6GB which has all the up-to-date drivers.

Here's the setup log info, starting from where the warnings kick in. Does anyone know what's causing this problem? Thanks!

[Debug] [13/07/2017 00:24:34] Installing oculus-runtime.
[Error] [13/07/2017 00:24:45] Librarian exited code 13
[Debug] [13/07/2017 00:24:45] Install 'Dawn.Setup.InstallPackagesStep' failed.
[Warning] [13/07/2017 00:24:45] Rolling back installation.
[Debug] [13/07/2017 00:24:45] Uninstall 'Dawn.Setup.InstallPackagesStep' succeeded.
[Debug] [13/07/2017 00:24:45] Uninstall 'Dawn.Setup.SetEnvironmentVariablesStep' succeeded.
[Debug] [13/07/2017 00:24:45] Uninstall 'Dawn.Setup.CreateRegistryKeysStep' succeeded.
[Debug] [13/07/2017 00:24:45] Uninstall 'Dawn.Setup.ExtractLibrarianStep' succeeded.
[Debug] [13/07/2017 00:24:45] Partial uninstall: True
[Debug] [13/07/2017 00:24:45] Total files inside Oculus directory: 9 files
[Debug] [13/07/2017 00:24:45] Filtered files inside Oculus directory: 9 files
[Debug] [13/07/2017 00:24:45] Processing Restart Manager batch 0/1
[Debug] [13/07/2017 00:24:46] Initial RmGetResut: 0, number: 0, reason 0
[Debug] [13/07/2017 00:24:46] Closing session
[Debug] [13/07/2017 00:24:46] Deleting directory '\\?\C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support'.
[Debug] [13/07/2017 00:24:46] Deleting directory '\\?\C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-librarian'.
[Debug] [13/07/2017 00:24:46] Uninstall 'Dawn.Setup.CreateOculusDirectoriesStep' succeeded.
[Debug] [13/07/2017 00:24:46] Uninstall 'Dawn.Setup.CreateLibraryServiceStep' succeeded.
[Debug] [13/07/2017 00:24:46] Uninstall 'Dawn.Setup.InstallRedistributablesStep' succeeded.
[Debug] [13/07/2017 00:24:55] Removing working directory.
[Warning] [13/07/2017 00:24:55] Exception deleting 'C:\Users\chris\AppData\Local\Temp\OculusSetup-c7d5e61e-de31-4ed3-b7bf-186a391fda53':
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'Intrinsics.dll' is denied.
   at System.IO.Directory.DeleteHelper(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean throwOnTopLevelDirectoryNotFound)
   at System.IO.Directory.Delete(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean checkHost)
   at Dawn.Mixins.ReallyDeleteDirectory(String path)
[Debug] [13/07/2017 00:24:55] Scheduling delete of 'C:\Users\chris\AppData\Local\Temp\OculusSetup-c7d5e61e-de31-4ed3-b7bf-186a391fda53' on next reboot.
[Debug] [13/07/2017 00:24:55] Exiting with code 1.
14 REPLIES 14

mightbeross
Honored Guest
Did you ever get this figured out? I'm having a very similar issue.

Thiefsie
Explorer
Me three.

droseofc
Protege
Me four

Thiefsie
Explorer
over a month later with a brand new PC, fresh Win 10 install and I'm still getting the exact same and official help tickets are getting nowhere as well. This is pretty pathetic.

droseofc
Protege

Thiefsie said:

over a month later with a brand new PC, fresh Win 10 install and I'm still getting the exact same and official help tickets are getting nowhere as well. This is pretty pathetic.

Have you looked at the event viewer after it fails? Just right click the start button and it should be listed "Event Viewer". Give it a second to load, and once it does, there will be a menu with categories such as Error, Warning, Critical, etc. There should (hopefully) only be one (or two/3) under error and/or critical in the last hour. Click the arrow to drop down the list under the category (error/critical). In that list you'lll find a apps with the 3 numbers next to them of when they failed, last hour, 24 hours, 7 days. Try to catch it right after it fails so you only need to look within the last hour. There should be one named OVRServiceLauncher or OVR something. This will detail on what caused the failure. Mine was what is shown below, and I fixed it by running secpol.msc and finding the log on as a service option (i believe its in a category that starts with "Users..." and adding Net Service to the list. I added Service and Local Service too but believe just Net wouldve done it as well. Easiest way to add is choosing advanced in the popup window for adding a user and then selecting find now which should bring up a list of users on the computer. Find net service and add apply and save and should solve installation issues.

The OVRLibraryService service was unable to log on as NT SERVICE\OVRLibraryService with the currently configured password due to the following error: Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer. Service: OVRLibraryService Domain and account: NT SERVICE\OVRLibraryService This service account does not have the required user right "Log on as a service." User Action Assign "Log on as a service" to the service account on this computer. You can use Local Security Settings (Secpol.msc) to do this. If this computer is a node in a cluster, check that this user right is assigned to the Cluster service account on all nodes in the cluster. If you have already assigned this user right to the service account, and the user right appears to be removed, check with your domain administrator to find out if a Group Policy object associated with this node might be removing the right

droseofc
Protege
To clarify on that error shown on mine, I am not in a domain, do not have a domain administrator and there are no group policies, besides the ones I implement, on this computer. Its just how they described it, but I am pretty sure it goes for all window versions, as i am on windows 10 home edition

Thiefsie
Explorer
Thank you for your detailed response.
I've got 4 Error events in the last hour (of which I've tried to setup Oculus once).
They are:
ID 304 - User Device Registration
ID 307 - User Device Registration
ID 7041 - Service Control Manager
ID 10016 - DistributedCOM

Nothing OVRLibrary related that I can see...

Thiefsie
Explorer
Actually if I use the administrative events viewer, the event with ID 7041 throws OVRlibrary error as follows:

The OVRLibraryService service was unable to log on as NT SERVICE\OVRLibraryService with the currently configured password due to the following error: 
Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.

Service: OVRLibraryService 
Domain and account: NT SERVICE\OVRLibraryService

This service account does not have the required user right "Log on as a service."

User Action

Assign "Log on as a service" to the service account on this computer. You can use Local Security Settings (Secpol.msc) to do this. If this computer is a node in a cluster, check that this user right is assigned to the Cluster service account on all nodes in the cluster.

If you have already assigned this user right to the service account, and the user right appears to be removed, check with your domain administrator to find out if a Group Policy object associated with this node might be removing the right.

Thiefsie
Explorer
Hmmm looks like you are onto something!! - I'll fiddle and see what I can change.

Interesting as I've had no similar problems what soever with these PCs (on my thirs that won't load Oculus) that are on my domain for any other purpose, including gaming and/or CAD/CAM work.

What on earth are Oculus doing?