cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Games geared toward women - Main player, female?

crystal_kaulbar
Honored Guest
Although Lone Echo looks fantastic, I'm disappointed I don't see a game where the primary player character is a woman?  As a woman, I can tell you I like adventure games, 3D and being a primary player character.  

Hope to see you invent a game where a woman is the primary character.  I don't want to play a game where I'm Jack, the cool dude, because although he is cool, playing his character doesn't suit me.  

Couldn't you have space explorer Jane, high stakes spy Deep Angel, or space pirate Merry Shadow?
19 REPLIES 19

kojack
MVP
MVP

Couldn't you have space explorer Jane, high stakes spy Deep Angel, or space pirate Merry Shadow?

Space Explorer and Space Pirate: yep. Elite Dangerous has female avatars.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Sax-a-boom
Rising Star
When I look at my library, most of my titles are gender neutral, I don't think it matters if I'm a man or woman in Robo Recall, Damaged Core, Farlands, Luckys Tale, Esper, etc. 

Also I never had an issue playing as Laura Croft in Tomb Raider, April Ryan from The Longest Journey or Chell from Portal.

Mind you, I am a monkey!

LeeMajorz6k
Honored Guest

I don't want to play a game where I'm Jack, the cool dude, because although he is cool, playing his character doesn't suit me.

To be fair, Jack is an android is he's actually genderless, but his name and voice makes clear we're supposed to identify him as male.

It's not a big deal for me personally, but I did think it was a bit of a missed opportunity, when I played it. They could've quite easily given the player a more gender-neutral name (Alex? Jamie? Charlie?) and more robotic/neutral voice and thus left it in the mind of the player whether the protagonist is male or female.

Anonymous
Not applicable
But couldn't we say this the other way around as well? Why are there not more Jacks in games? I wouldn't want to play as a female either:)

As far as this topic can go - the only real answer is to add another playable character as both a female or male. The other answer to this is - don't worry about it. More games will come that will switch gender player rolls as we continue going forward. If we look at game history - there have been a number of games that have had a female main roll - it just takes the right story to match it and then make the game.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Alien: Isolation has a strong female lead, and is now playable in VR with the mod that released yesterday. Might be worth checking out. 

In Lone Echo, the only human character is a female space station commander, so even though you don't play as her (but rather as her robot assistant), I would say that this game still presents a strong female character in a primary role. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

jayhawk
Superstar
You mean follow after Hollywood and the 2D gaming world. There is another option as well. From here on out just make them androgynous. Then no one can be satisfied or upset. Honestly though a choice between the two is ideal, but that leads to more program time and overlays in scenes right?

vannagirl
Consultant
actually i do not mind

If there are female leads great but sometimes the guy leads can be fun...Look at Nathan Drake aka uncharted
i was playing lone today also , i had a strong female  presence feeling with the commander so it is all good.

or i could go feminazi for cybernettr  i know he love all that good stuff 😉
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

madamluck
Heroic Explorer
I think in time we shall see more lead female roles in games. Right now I personally think that the gaming world especially vr Has a more male audience and for the most part a male character is what they want and male characters are probably easier to create than females. in time I'm sure we will see an increase of female players and more diverse games! Things take time with something new. I will say though that as a female I've never really noticed the lack of female roles. If I like the gameplay then I'm happy! 

kojack
MVP
MVP
I think for VR it's both far more and far less important for immersion to have a better choice.
Far more because you actually are the character.
Far less because most VR games have you as just a pair of floating hands. There's no gender specified.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2