cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Sound from Rift Headphones after Playing a few Minutes

Oimann
Explorer

Hi,

i have the Problem, that the Sound of my Rift Headphones doenst work after some time. When I start Oculus Home the Sound out of the Headphones is fine. Somtimes after 5 Minutes, sometimes after 1 hour, the Headphones stop working. If i restart Oculus Home, the Sound is back again. Using my own Headphones with my Soundcard, there is no Problem.

Is this a known issue? Any work around to fix it?  

88 REPLIES 88

falken76
Expert Consultant
I got my RMA which had the HDMI disconnect problem only to now have this audio issue.  I can confirm that I had a Rift that had absolutely no audio problems but the hardware was faulty so it keept saying HDMI disconnect.  Now this replacement does video with no disconnects but the audio cuts out just like everyone else in this thread.  The only thing that changed is the hardware from Oculus.  Is this another hardware problem?

Syrellaris
Rising Star
To fix the audio, or at least what probably might work...

Go to playback devices, select Headphones (Rift Audio), right click properties, Click the Advanced tab and set it to 2 way, 16 bit 44100 hz(CD quality). Save and exit.

try the rift again.

Wetworks24
Honored Guest
I had this problem when I first got my Rift.  What seemed to fix it for me was disabling enhancements for the rift under playback devices.

Ziwdon
Explorer
Just bringing this topic to attention, as I am also facing this issue with my new Rift.
Sound randomly stops working whilst playing...sometimes after 30 minutes, sometimes after 2 hours. I have no other issues besides this one.

I have applied the changes suggested in the previous posts and I will let you guys know if it solves it.

Xanilos
Honored Guest
Sadly, another Oculus customer with the same issues. 

I uninstalled the NVIDIA HD Sound driver that got installed when I updated the video card drivers.  Also disabled all enhancements within Windows and set the Rift Headphones as the default device. 

Still getting audio cutouts after 5 minutes of Dead and Buried.  Will keep trying.

Jacen_Sunrider
Explorer
Since I have similar problem, I thought that uploading the Rift logs would help someone find the issue - I don't seem to be able to do it myself. Here are also some things I noticed alongside the sound issues:

1. Whenever my sound cuts out, I go to audio devices, right click on Rift Audio for settings and fiddle with anything just so that an "Apply" button turns on and I click it. Then my sound returns. I usually do this with the on the ehhancements tab, since I can just turn it on and off again, and it lets my apply.
2. I noticed that mostly sounds stops on Herobound game. Usually it's more or less every 15 mintues. On Herobound it's every 2-3 minutes.
3. Today while playing Lucky's tale I noticed that sound turns off at the same time I lose head tracking. Not sure how it is for you, but my head tracking turns off for half a second every now and then (screen is glued, I can't look around). So far it was not that bad, so I didn't really do anything with that yet.
4. One of the strangest things so far - when I lose audio, my youtube videos don't start. At one point when I lost audio I went to google to look for some tips and tried to open some tutorial video. It loaded fine, I even saw first frame of the video, but it didn't start. I then experimented with this a little and whenever I lost audio again I went back to youtube and it's the same for any video I try to turn on. When I fix the audio by resetting and reapplying some options, the video immediately starts, so it seems to be connected.
5. Now it also happened while on Bigscreen app with Netflix. When the sound turned off, the movie played for few more seconds and also froze. 

So far I have tried updating any sound drivers (all seem to be up to date), using different usb 3.0 ports, even moving my sensor and rift to usb 2.0 to see if it's not something with my Motherboards usb 3.0. I restarted windows few times, I tried the windows audio fix (it only advised turning the enhancements off). I tried turning off any other audio devices aside from Rift (I saw somewhere a suggestion that this might be an issue with power management). Some guy on google said he had issues with geforce experience, so I tried turning that off. I have also tried some suggestions from this thread without any luck. I tried looking at the logs, but they are a little bit too much for me to understand them. 

Hopefully this will give someone with more experience some ideas what might this be. This issue is getting really irritating 😞

Percy1983
Superstar

Merilious said:

Just bought my rift with the big sale happening now. Having this issue as well. Tried the changing audio quality from DVD to CD and it worked for a few minutes but then cut out again. Also tried all the disabling of other audio devices. Pretty bum experience thus far. Was about to show my 5yr old the spider man VR, but have to wait till this gets fixed. Looks like it has been an issue for a while though. =(

i7-2600k
asrock z77 extreme4
GTX 1080
8GB DDR3
Win10 x64

I have the same board and had the same issue, using a USB 3 expansion card seemed to fix the issue.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

squidbreakfast
Protege
I used to have this as well where the sound would drop out and then it would be fine if I disable and enable the device again. After getting really annoyed with this I plugged the USB of the HMD into another USB3 port and haven't had any issue since. Strange because on the port side of mt mobo it has a dedicated USB port for VR and that was the one that kept dropping the audio.

But it is fixed! 
I like trains. Tech stuff. Being a hermit. Baking and getting baked.

i7 7700K  |  MSI Z270 M5  |  HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133  |  MSI GTX 1080 X 8G  |  Corsair Hydro H115i RGB  |  Corsair RM750x  |  Seagate 2TB  |  Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250 GB  |  Corsair Obsidian 450D  |

charlietruong
Honored Guest

I used to have this as well where the sound would drop out and then it would be fine if I disable and enable the device again. After getting really annoyed with this I plugged the USB of the HMD into another USB3 port and haven't had any issue since. Strange because on the port side of mt mobo it has a dedicated USB port for VR and that was the one that kept dropping the audio.

But it is fixed! 

Same here.  I have an MSI Z270 Gaming M3 motherboard with 1 dedicated USB 3 port in the back for VR, and it's been giving me problems with sound and video.  I moved my Rift to a different USB 3 port, and now it's working flawlessly. WTH!

Bugzleon
Honored Guest

Percy1983 said:

Merilious said:

Just bought my rift with the big sale happening now. Having this issue as well. Tried the changing audio quality from DVD to CD and it worked for a few minutes but then cut out again. Also tried all the disabling of other audio devices. Pretty bum experience thus far. Was about to show my 5yr old the spider man VR, but have to wait till this gets fixed. Looks like it has been an issue for a while though. =(

i7-2600k
asrock z77 extreme4
GTX 1080
8GB DDR3
Win10 x64

I have the same board and had the same issue, using a USB 3 expansion card seemed to fix the issue.

I also have an Asrock motherboard, I have an Asrock B75 Pro3-M, older one from 2012. I had the same problem with sound stopping after a few seconds in games and even on the home screen. I also installed a USB3 PCI-e card I had as a leftover from an even older pc and all problems are gone. Even back to default sound settings and all works fine now.