cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am near-sighted, wear glasses. Are the screens close enough to see?

mzelus
Honored Guest
I am strongly considering getting into VR with the oculus. I am near-sighted and wear glasses and i see there are instructions for wearing the headset without glasses. However, I believe that if the screens are close enough, i would be able to see them without aid. Has anyone else had experience with this and would be able to comment?
15 REPLIES 15

squidbreakfast
Protege
https://vr-lens-lab.com/

I also wear glasses and I am really careful every time I take the HMD off... I take my glasses off with it, yes it is annoying but less annoying than not being able to see. I am considering ordering prescription lenses for my HMD. I know someone that did and that is very happy with them.

There are options 🙂
I like trains. Tech stuff. Being a hermit. Baking and getting baked.

i7 7700K  |  MSI Z270 M5  |  HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133  |  MSI GTX 1080 X 8G  |  Corsair Hydro H115i RGB  |  Corsair RM750x  |  Seagate 2TB  |  Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250 GB  |  Corsair Obsidian 450D  |

madamluck
Heroic Explorer
I wear glasses and I'm near sighted also. I had problems with my glasses leaving smudges on the lenses of the rift and was paranoid about scratching them. While I can see great with my glasses on I opted to not wear them anymore in the rift. I had to mess around with the straps and find the best placement on my head. Also making sure I tilted the headset into the best position. It's not as clear without my glasses versus with but it's not a huge difference. I'm considering getting contacts - I've been wanting to that anyways or there's always prescription lens you can buy for the rift.

Anonymous
Not applicable

mzelus said:

I am strongly considering getting into VR with the oculus. I am near-sighted and wear glasses and i see there are instructions for wearing the headset without glasses. However, I believe that if the screens are close enough, i would be able to see them without aid. Has anyone else had experience with this and would be able to comment?

Because of the lenses in the Rift, the screens are at a focal depth of about 1.5 metres. If you can see clearly at that distance without your glasses (unlikely) then you're ok. If things are blurry at 1.5 metres without your glasses then you'll either have to wear your glasses in the Rift or buy some lenses matching your prescription to put in the Rift.

One option.
Another option.
A third.
And a fourth.

inovator
Consultant
I'm the perfect person to ask. I tried to talk myself into it being good enough without my glasses. Then I used glasses. With very skinny frames and the suggested rift size.  The lens got scratches from them. If u like every day life with glasses including movies and TV u need glasses or contacts. It's like real life being In vr. I love vr so I got contacts and recently ordered a new rift to get rid of the scratches.sorry that's the only answer. Lens lab may work for u but sucked for me

Nisei
Protege
I'm near sighted (-2.5) and everything's blurry without contact lenses/glasses. The Rift's lenses may be close to your eyes but you have to focus in the distance.
You can easily solve this by using this method I've posted earlier:

Go here and download the 3D file:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1602460
Have it printed for around 5 Dollars/Euros.
Order this pair of glasses:
http://www.zennioptical.com/550021-metal-alloy-full-rim-frame-with-spring-hinges.html
Take
the lenses from the glasses, pop them into the 3D printed adapter and
your CV1 has built in prescription glasses for around 15 Dollars/Euros +
shipping.

Crommi
Protege
Before getting too excited about those printable frames, know that unless the width matches your PD, it's not going to work.

Nisei
Protege

Crommi said:

Before getting too excited about those printable frames, know that unless the width matches your PD, it's not going to work.

That's why you specify your PD to Zenni when ordering the glasses. The adapter exactly matches the measurements of the frame you're ordering.

BoxDroppingManA
Expert Protege

mzelus said:

I damn near have coke-bottle glasses for near-sightedness, and everything definitely is blurry if I try to VR without glasses.  However, my brother, who is also near-sighted but to a lesser extent, says it's fine without his glasses. Your mileage may vary. Even though the screens themselves are a few inches from your eyes, the lenses have a focal distance of like, 5 feet I think (someone will probably correct me). If you can't see clearly at 5 feet, I think you're gonna need your glasses.

All of that said, my glasses fit fine inside the headset, but your glasses may vary as well.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
It doesn't matter how close the screens are to your face, you are fully immersed in another world. Which means that if you can't read the text on a sign 50 feet away in real life, then you won't be able to read it in VR either.

Of course, this depends on the software application itself and how the dev's implement both scaling and depth perception. Either way, you will most likely need glasses or contacts if you want an enjoyable experience.