New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Games geared toward women - Main player, female?

Although Lone Echo looks fantastic, I'm disappointed I don't see a game where the primary player character is a woman?  As a woman, I can tell you I like adventure games, 3D and being a primary player character.  

Hope to see you invent a game where a woman is the primary character.  I don't want to play a game where I'm Jack, the cool dude, because although he is cool, playing his character doesn't suit me.  

Couldn't you have space explorer Jane, high stakes spy Deep Angel, or space pirate Merry Shadow?

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,411 Volunteer Moderator

Couldn't you have space explorer Jane, high stakes spy Deep Angel, or space pirate Merry Shadow?
    Space Explorer and Space Pirate: yep. Elite Dangerous has female avatars.

• Sax-a-boomSax-a-boom Posts: 731
    3Jane
    When I look at my library, most of my titles are gender neutral, I don't think it matters if I'm a man or woman in Robo Recall, Damaged Core, Farlands, Luckys Tale, Esper, etc. 

Also I never had an issue playing as Laura Croft in Tomb Raider, April Ryan from The Longest Journey or Chell from Portal.

Mind you, I am a monkey!
  • LeeMajorz6kLeeMajorz6k Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I don't want to play a game where I'm Jack, the cool dude, because although he is cool, playing his character doesn't suit me.
    To be fair, Jack is an android is he's actually genderless, but his name and voice makes clear we're supposed to identify him as male.

It's not a big deal for me personally, but I did think it was a bit of a missed opportunity, when I played it. They could've quite easily given the player a more gender-neutral name (Alex? Jamie? Charlie?) and more robotic/neutral voice and thus left it in the mind of the player whether the protagonist is male or female.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,740 Valuable Player
    edited July 2017
    But couldn't we say this the other way around as well? Why are there not more Jacks in games? I wouldn't want to play as a female either:)

As far as this topic can go - the only real answer is to add another playable character as both a female or male. The other answer to this is - don't worry about it. More games will come that will switch gender player rolls as we continue going forward. If we look at game history - there have been a number of games that have had a female main roll - it just takes the right story to match it and then make the game.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,427 Volunteer Moderator
    Alien: Isolation has a strong female lead, and is now playable in VR with the mod that released yesterday. Might be worth checking out. 

In Lone Echo, the only human character is a female space station commander, so even though you don't play as her (but rather as her robot assistant), I would say that this game still presents a strong female character in a primary role. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 824
    3Jane
    edited July 2017
    You mean follow after Hollywood and the 2D gaming world. There is another option as well. From here on out just make them androgynous. Then no one can be satisfied or upset. Honestly though a choice between the two is ideal, but that leads to more program time and overlays in scenes right?
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,007 Valuable Player
    edited July 2017
    actually i do not mind

If there are female leads great but sometimes the guy leads can be fun...Look at Nathan Drake aka uncharted
    i was playing lone today also , i had a strong female  presence feeling with the commander so it is all good.

or i could go feminazi for cybernettr  i know he love all that good stuff ;)
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • madamluckmadamluck Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    I think in time we shall see more lead female roles in games. Right now I personally think that the gaming world especially vr Has a more male audience and for the most part a male character is what they want and male characters are probably easier to create than females. in time I'm sure we will see an increase of female players and more diverse games! Things take time with something new. I will say though that as a female I've never really noticed the lack of female roles. If I like the gameplay then I'm happy! 
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,411 Volunteer Moderator
    I think for VR it's both far more and far less important for immersion to have a better choice.
    Far more because you actually are the character.
    Far less because most VR games have you as just a pair of floating hands. There's no gender specified.

• squidbreakfastsquidbreakfast Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    Ugh. Gender issues.
    I like trains. Tech stuff. Being a hermit. Baking and getting baked.

i7 7700K  |  MSI Z270 M5  |  HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133  |  MSI GTX 1080 X 8G  |  Corsair Hydro H115i RGB  |  Corsair RM750x  |  Seagate 2TB  |  Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250 GB  |  Corsair Obsidian 450D  |

• AndyW1384AndyW1384 Posts: 307
    Trinity
    When it's released, Fallout-4 VR will allow male/female player choice. How well it'll run on Rift (natively or via Steam VR) remains to be seen.
  • Hasko7Hasko7 Posts: 17
    Brain Burst
    Interesting comments. I must come from a different generation. Too much emphasis on gender (or orientation or whatever the heck it is) these days. I never really think about whether I'm "male" or "female" in a game. Granted, I haven't played computer games that much, but I'm thinking even w/ board games like "Sorry" or "Life" or whatever...  I just want to play the game - whether I'm playing as a game piece, a tiny person or a virtual robot. Part of the fun of playing a game is just taking on the role of the character you're put into. Not wanting to cause any controversy w/ these comments. Just offering my two cents worth.  :)
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 824
    3Jane
    madamluck said:
    I think in time we shall see more lead female roles in games. 
    we already do, in fact at the rate it's going it's about to tip the scales so well be seeing new threads requesting more male.
  • ntwigbelsntwigbels Posts: 73
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited August 2017
    The player/character in Adr1ft is female.
  • ParadiseDecayParadiseDecay Posts: 510
    Neo
    Although Lone Echo looks fantastic, I'm disappointed I don't see a game where the primary player character is a woman?  As a woman, I can tell you I like adventure games, 3D and being a primary player character.  

Hope to see you invent a game where a woman is the primary character.  I don't want to play a game where I'm Jack, the cool dude, because although he is cool, playing his character doesn't suit me.  

If you play the new Alien Isolation VR mod, your main character is female. Also in the up and coming mech game ' Archangel' you get to choose a female character.
    ☆ YouTube 'Content Creator' and 'Steam Curator' ( https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadiseDecay ) ☆ Devs! I'm always on the look out for new and interesting VR experiences! ☆ Oculus Rift CV1 ☆ Windows 10, 64 bit ☆ Intel Core i7-3770 ☆ 16.0GB Ram ☆ GeForce GTX 1060
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,667 Valuable Player
    Yea I wish all games had a choice. I'm on the opposite end of op and I know it's not feasible financially for a lot of games. But for me, i usually won't buy it if I have to play female. As my wife can attest, i have a lot more in common with an ogre brute than I do with the average video game woman and it's impossible for me to be immersed if I don't relate to the character. 
  • VeloxizationVeloxization Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I'm a role player and while I am female, I am very much able to assume any role that has been given to me. I think it's something you can learn. :)
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,072 Valuable Player
    I love playing with females. Always have done. ;) I guess I prefer being completely opposite to who I am IRL. Games with the option to choose either sex is the best approach imo although sometimes that's not entirely possible due to the narrative.  It also costs developers a lot more to produce.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • DraftoDrafto Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Try Smashing The Battle... but I think the player demographic is dudes.