cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Budget Gtx 1050 ti Laptops ever work with the Oculus Rift?

Turboman750
Sightseer
I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 7567 with a gtx 1050ti.  The hardware meets the requirements for the Oculus Rift and even has an HDMI 2.0 port.  The display will not turn on whatsoever regardless of the driver or how my Nvidia control panels settings are set.

I've done a bit of research into this and from my understanding this is caused by the Nvidia Optimus technology that allows the laptop to switch between the cpu integrated graphics and the Nvidia dedicated graphics.  Would it be fair to assume that the Oculus rift will NEVER work on my laptop? or is there work being done to correct this issue?

I've come across several other forum posts/reddit threads reporting the same issue without any solution.  If anybody knows of a solution/workaround to this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Ryan
9 REPLIES 9

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Hi Ryan, in a similar thread have a read through, not pretty 😉 = https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/54383/so-far-the-worst-500-ive-ever-spent/p1
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Turboman750
Sightseer

Techy111 said:

Hi Ryan, in a similar thread have a read through, not pretty 😉 = https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/54383/so-far-the-worst-500-ive-ever-spent/p1

Well,

That's depressing.  It looks like the root cause of the issue is the Optimus technology built into the laptop.

Hopefully in the near future, this can be fixed through drivers/firmware.

If anybody hears news of a fix in the future, please let me know 🙂

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Not sure about laptops but found this little bit on google. Does your 1050TI have it's own HDMI output mate ? =
Step 2: Locate the video configuration tree or config options screen in your BIOS that refers to your Optimus Video configuration. You will need to choose the option to disabled Optimus by either unchecking a box, choosing DISABLE as an option, or choosing the graphics card instead of the integrated card (norOptimus.)

A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

kojack
MVP
MVP
There's two ways that optimus can be turned off:
- software disable (such as bios). It's still physically running through the intel gpu though and oculus won't work.
- hardware disable by flipping a physical switch on the computer. This really bypasses optimus and "might" work with oculus.
I've only heard of one model of laptop (can't even remember which it was) which has the hardware disable option.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

kwakaman39
Explorer
Trying to test my new rift on a 1050ti laptop (MSI GE72 RE Apache pro). As still in the process of rebuilding my gaming pc.
Getting stuck on setting up rift too. No display. Rift is detecting Intel 630 as input.
Cant work out how to make hdmi run via 1050 instead of Intel 630.  It also has mini DP port. Will this work? Can it be switched to boot to 1050 in mini-DP when plugged in and leave the hdmi as is?

Actually given up trying now as know I'm building a new system and the Mrs don't want me using her laptop anyway.lol.

Anonymous
Not applicable
GTX 1050 or 1050ti does not have "VR Ready" atleast what Nvidia says.

Laptop GPU makes this problem even worse.

peetezaah
Explorer

Getting stuck on setting up rift too. No display. Rift is detecting Intel 630 as input.
Cant work out how to make hdmi run via 1050 instead of Intel 630.  It also has mini DP port. Will this work? Can it be switched to boot to 1050 in mini-DP when plugged in and leave the hdmi as is?

I'm not a 100% sure on this but, you can't "make it run" from the Nvidia GPU. It's the other way around (it's the HDMI port that needs to be a component of the GPU, and not the motherboard).  
If you go to Nvidia's control panel, there is a page where you can check which ports are from the GPU (if your HDMI or DP does not show there, then you have absolutely no way of running the rift from your Nvidia GPU).

HP Omen 17-w103np: i7 6700HQ, GTX 1070  16GB DDR4, 3 x 3.1 Gen 1 USB, 1TB SSD + 1TB HDD 

kwakaman39
Explorer
I can get the driver to make rift run on nvidea gpu but the physical connection cant be changed without changing Bios settings. Something I am not prepared to do on the Mrs laptop. (Too risky).

Jonfun7
Explorer
So it wont work for me?

t13v9mu6xs3d.jpg