cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus, are you joking.....

Jonfun7
Explorer
So I done the test to see if it will work..
0roqsw4dax9z.jpg

So I have ordered and can't wait to play, I have downloaded Oculus software ready for the big day.
hloc3mknse83.jpg

So now this tells me it won't work?

I am so confused. I don't wanna cancel my order. I need a system that will work though.
36 REPLIES 36

vannagirl
Consultant
Save a little longer for a better setup

You will appreciate quality VR more
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Jonfun7
Explorer
Yeah probably just stick to my PSVR for a year

Jonfun7
Explorer
so confused.x9ag9au5596t.jpg

falken76
Expert Consultant
Some laptops mix the GPU with the integrated gfx (the onboard crappy video) and they both share the same single HDMI port.  The integrated gfx causes problems because the rift may see that instead of the 1050 and not even send the video to the headset.  This is a fault of the Laptop manufacture for selling their product as VR ready and not testing it properly with at least one of the major VR hardware providers. If your laptop has a displayport out, you might be able to use a displayport to hdmi adaptor to connect your rift to the laptop.

Mine is a desktop, there's no way to mix the two ports on this setup.  The 1050 itself should be enough to power the rift just fine.

Jonfun7
Explorer
Should I risk getting it or cancel?

vannagirl
Consultant
Can you easily test and return if it has issues?

If yes and everyones saying this can work then yes.

I would also link the actual page here for a final discussion.

Another member swore blind that his laptop was fine and oculus was broken only to learn it was underpowered and not even VR ready and unable to power a hmd

If not post links to other models, people here help you make the right choices  🙂
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Syrellaris
Rising Star
Honestly, if you look at various gaming brands that release laptops (Asus, Razer, MSI, Acer etc) You find a common trend. They all have a GTX 1060 or higher as minimum and are clearly branded as VR ready.

If the laptop isn't clearly labeled as VR ready on the makers website or in a store, it is most likely, nearly 100% not going to run VR or if it does run, it won't be a good experience. the GTX 1050 really is, as i said before, the bottom line. It is what you require to run VR at the very minimum specifications and will not give you a great experience in most games.

For example, the Razer Blade 2017 model, starting at 1899 USD (1800 Euro) sports a GTX 1060 GPU, with the Razer Blade Pro(4000 USD) sporting a whopping 1080. https://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade

the
MSI GT62 Dominator Pro series laptops, start at 1500 euro/USD with a 1060., the 2000 USD / Euro Variant  has a 1070. https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT62VR-6RE-Dominator-Pro.html#hero-overview

Techy111
MVP
MVP
If it was me ? Cancel.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just use an external GPU. Problem solved.

Telorn
Expert Protege
1) His laptop may not have thunderbolt and 2) External GPU cases + the GPU are not cheap. That can be half the cost of a new laptop. Money may be better spent on building a desktop for VR.

That said, I'm using an Alienware 15 R2 with the Alienware Amplifier eGPU on an AMD 290x and it works very well. I'm about to upgrade it to an AMD Vega RX 64 or Nvidia 1080. Waiting to see the Vega results.