cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Region specific Prices, will it be ever like steam?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, there.. let give you a quick example, Batman VR is 19.99 in the Oculus store and 8.99 in Steam when converted from my local currency(Turkey) . It is always this kind of big difference for almost all games, bridge crew was an exception. Will prices be always fixed, or any plan on different pricing for poor countries :cold_sweat:
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well since with the new patch i will be able to lauch steam games from the oculus store, no more problems for me :smiley:

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

portal2turret
Protege
I think it's annoying that Oculus has their own store. Sure, it gives them exclusives, so I get why they did it, but SteamVR works with Vive and Rift (even games that say just Vive often work with Rift). Anytime there's an online video game store other than Steam (for example, Origin), I just get annoyed. It's so nice to have all my games in one place. Steam is great for that, because they have the widest selection of content. With the Oculus Store, I have my games in two places. It's just a nuisance.
As far as prices, I don't know why things aren't more synchronized. I'm not a developer, but I would think price changes are done by the developer, not necessarily Oculus or Steam (but maybe they can do it also), so any inconsistencies might be the fault of the developer. If that's the case, you should probably take it up with them. Again, I don't actually know how it works, but that would make the most sense to me.

KenSniper
Adventurer
this is kinda the reason why i dont buy anything on the oculus store, unless its an exclusive, I almost always buy all my games on steam

Chazmeister
Rising Star
Conversely I'm finding quite a bit of stuff cheaper on the OH store than on Steam in GBP.

For instance:
Gunheart  Steam: £26.99   Oculus Home: £24.99
X-Rebirth VR Edition  Steam: £34.99   Oculus Home: £29.99
Racket: NX (undiscounted prices)  Steam: £15.99   Oculus Home: £14.99
Preta: Vendetta Rising  Steam: £26.99   Oculus Home: £24.99

Just a few examples there. Some prices retain parity across Steam and OH, but in GBP not many are cheaper on Steam now and as you can see there's even a few which are a bit cheaper, quite substantially so in the case of X-Rebirth VR.

I would hazard a guess and say that it maybe has something to do with Brexit pricing which Steam has implemented and OH has not.

Edit: Oh and in the case of Batman VR in GBP it is £14.99 on both Steam and OH.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Oculus Home has region specific prices.
Steam has region specific prices.
So it's already like steam.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

falken76
Expert Consultant
My guess would be that when you see large differences between games like Batman that's because a developer would use these gaming services the way any of us would use Ebay, Etsy or Amazon.  The seller sets their own prices, and just like ebay and Amazon, I would bet that Steam is the 800 lb gorilla and OH is the....  Well They're the Etsy.  Smaller, "homegrown" LESS traffic/revenue but enough to be considered a very good source of revenue.  But they're the new guy on the block, they're still growing and picking up momentum.  I think a difference in price like that means that the dev is trying to move more batman on Steam because the sales have slowed down, perhaps the title was selling better on OH and the dev didn't need to lower the price.

TL;DR - Devs are like sellers on a venue, they can set their prices and I think that's what we're seeing with HUGE differences like Batman.  I also don't know if Steam and OH have a similar fee structure for sales.  Steam has been around since the Half life days, it's possible they charge more to the seller for a sale, or perhaps it's the other way around and OH charges more.  Either way, that could be a reason they have the slightly different costs between them.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well since with the new patch i will be able to lauch steam games from the oculus store, no more problems for me :smiley: