New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Alien Isolation VR Mod Is On Its Way!!!

Comments

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,023 Valuable Player
    @nalex66 - I'm not sure what problems you are having swivelling in a chair instead of using the thumb stick to turn. I have been using both methods and they appear the same to me?
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 514
    Neo
    Unbelievable ! this is amazing .. Im still in shock on the shear fact it works flawless. Love reading the terminal with one eye lol :) 
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,447 Volunteer Moderator
    lovethis said:
    @nalex66 - I'm not sure what problems you are having swivelling in a chair instead of using the thumb stick to turn. I have been using both methods and they appear the same to me?
    It's fine for basic navigation, but every time there is a canned animation (hiding in a locker, climbing a ladder, etc.) the forward direction suddenly resets to the original forward position. If you happen to be facing the other way because you were physically turning, the action happens to one side or behind you, and you're suddenly facing away from your hands, or the locker vents, or the ladder.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • PablitoPablito Posts: 361
    Trinity
    Thanks Nibre.  This is a huge gift!  It's great to be able to just sit down and use a gamepad for my legs and arms instead of being forced to manually grab everything while crouching and turning my physical body.  Oculus could have given us both and left the decision up to us. 

I was correct in my criticism of Oculus.  This mod is proof!

"Now virtual reality and become limited reality!"
    edited July 2017
    @Pablito - Are you taking about teleportation limiting VR, or something else? If it's teleportation you are talking about then I'm sure games devs will eventually get the message that teleportation only sucks. Both options need to be added to games where possible, or I don't think their games will sell as good as they could.

I like many other people have found my VR legs, so they shouldn't just cater for people feeling sick in VR on their first attempt. I do think both options are need where possible, it's as simple as that. I realise teleportation can work for certain games, but on some games it definitely needs both options.
    Trinity
    lovethis said:
    @Pablito - Are you taking about teleportation limiting VR, or something else? If it's teleportation you are talking about then I'm sure games devs will eventually get the message that teleportation only sucks. both options need to be added to games where possible or I don't think they will sell aswell as they could..

Yea, I was.  The debate has been going on for so long on this forum by me and others.  Give us the option to move within the virtual world in a way the individual feels is best.  Oculus just does not seem to care.  Many have posted on this forum, saying they wouldn't spend a dime on games and apps. that don't offer the full array of movement options.  Even the prospect of losing revenue does not get through to Oculus.  These guys don't care, even when money is lost!  
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,447 Volunteer Moderator
    Pablito said:
    Thanks Nibre.  This is a huge gift!  It's great to be able to just sit down and use a gamepad for my legs and arms instead of being forced to manually grab everything while crouching and turning my physical body.  Oculus could have given us both and left the decision up to us. 

I was correct in my criticism of Oculus.  This mod is proof!

"Now virtual reality and become limited reality!"
    Your criticism of Oculus is your opinion. In my opinion, this mod would be even better if Nibre managed to integrate Touch support so we could use our arms to do things like aim guns and bring up the alien tracker.

That may be wishful thinking, though--the game isn't built for that, and it would be a huge amount of work to redesign all the hand interactions in the game (starting generators, using the maintenance jack, climbing ladders, etc.). This is the limitation with any mod to convert a 2D game to VR.

The Doom 3 VR mod did an admirable job of bring Touch into the game, but to do it required replacing all the in-game gun models and animations, and totally reworking the UI. The HL2VR mod team is doing the same thing, at great effort.

I would say that those mods are proof that VR is at its best when you can use your tracked hands rather than abstracting all your actions through a gamepad.

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,153 Valuable Player
    Pablito said:
    These guys don't care, even when money is lost!  
    i think you have this cart before horse.... whether they are right in this is subjective... but imo if anything developers care too much.!

I think they are so worried at making games which are too hard on VR legs that it makes people ill and puts them off VR for life that some play it very safe.

It is debatable whether this is the right call or not, only time will tell, but imo its not "because they do not care about us OR about losing money!"
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • baggygbaggyg Posts: 177
    Art3mis
    Pablito said:
    lovethis said:
    @Pablito - Are you taking about teleportation limiting VR, or something else? If it's teleportation you are talking about then I'm sure games devs will eventually get the message that teleportation only sucks. both options need to be added to games where possible or I don't think they will sell aswell as they could..

Yea, I was.  The debate has been going on for so long on this forum by me and others.  Give us the option to move within the virtual world in a way the individual feels is best.  Oculus just does not seem to care.  Many have posted on this forum, saying they wouldn't spend a dime on games and apps. that don't offer the full array of movement options.  Even the prospect of losing revenue does not get through to Oculus.  These guys don't care, even when money is lost!  
    Although I somewhat agree that all locomotion options are a good idea, I am not sure why you are targeting this at Oculus? Although they fund games (to our benefit), it is the developers themselves that make this choice. 

Something like Wilson's Heart had a very clear idea of how they wanted to do it (node based). Arguably that game would simply not have worked with another method. Sure it could have been designed from the ground up with free movement, but then would have been a vastly different game. 

For many games it will actually be teleportation that won't be achievable, as that requires quite an overhaul to path finding. I think your view that you don't want to use your arms will be a step backward for a large amount of people. Could you play Lone Echo on a gamepad? Probably not. 
    edited July 2017
    Hopefully more games can be modded like this one. It's a shame we have to rely on guys like this to mod them and create the movement some of use require. This guy will get a PayPal payment from me though to help him, because this is the type of game and movement I'm looking for in VR. 
    @bigmike20vt - There is nothing to stop them implementing both methods. I do agree that some games wouldn't work with full locomotion, but the ones that would work need to have both options.  I also wouldn't like to see a move away from games that could use full locomotion just so they can justify teleportation only. I want to see more VR games Iike Alien Isolation and Doom with full locomotion or both options added.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,153 Valuable Player
    so do i.... doom 3 shows just how well it can work..... My only point was that i do not believe it is because the devs to not give a toss about us, and that i do not believe they do not care about making money.

either way, other than oculus produced titles it is not on oculus anyway
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,503 Valuable Player
    lovethis said:
    @bigmike20vt - There is nothing to stop them implementing both methods. I do agree that some games wouldn't work with full locomotion, but the ones that would work need to have both options.  I also wouldn't like to see a move away from games that could use full locomotion just so they can justify teleportation only. I want to see more VR games Iike Alien Isolation and Doom with full locomotion or both options added.
    Whether a developer implements both methods or not is a different design choice decided by them on a game by game basis. Wilson's Heart doesn't have free locomotion because it would be impossible to play with free locomotion. Nakamura's Fall isn't going to have a teleport option because a key part of the gameplay revolves around free locomotion. I am going to have snap turning and that tunnel vision thing as comfort options though, but just as Wilson's Heart wouldn't work with free locomotion my game won't work with a teleportation mechanic.

Although it should be noted that a lot of game design these days is pretty poor. You can't get anywhere near a game design job in the industry unless you have a design degree, no matter what sort of portfolio you have. The one game that irks me where this is concerned is The Mage's Tale. They added a free locomotion mechanic post-launch because loads of people complained that it didn't have it but for some strange reason known only to themselves they didn't add a smooth turning option with it. Now I haven't been to design school but it seems like a no-brainer to add smooth turning when you're adding free locomotion.

I swear that they teach people bad game design on these courses on purpose. Back in the 80s and 90s all you needed to work in game design was common sense and experience playing games so that you know what works and what doesn't.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Thane_Thane_ Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    edited July 2017
    I really REALLY want to chime in about "design school" and my sarcastic estimation about the quality of those teacher's opinions and the nature of opinion in general and my observation that me with my uneducated blue collar gamer background, simply my preferences, that apparently share a commonality with others, would have avoided most or the reported design choices that have tanked so many games i see going under or not doing as well. What a shame that a degree is required.

But i dont' want to hijack this beautiful thread about Nibre's awesome Alien Isolation mod so please don't reply to this!
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    Ok :) wait..........doh !!!!
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Trinity
    edited July 2017
    You guys, please understand... all current locomotion options have redemptive value, not because I say so, but because all of you do.  My argument has always been that the variety of options made available in the "first person walking sim" department is never setup with the idea that consumers should have the full spectrum of locomotion options.  We've all been playing first person video games for years, but now Oculus does not think we know what we're doing.  We're not smart enough to play games in VR.

Consider this... there's a new game called, Wizards- absolutely beautiful!  But did anyone realize hat the character you play has all this wisdom and spell making knowledge but can't seem to figure out how to make a potion that allows use of legs for walking?  Immature, laughable, stupid!
  • GrinderX9GrinderX9 Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Played about 3 hours so far. This is hands down the best VR experience I have had in any game. I'm also beginning to get good VR legs, and Can play for about 30-40  minutes of Alien, before a slight discomfort begins to be noticed. The AAA graphics is something the VR crowd has not been spoiled to much with, And Alien is without question the most beautiful VR game. But the game is more scary then I even hoped it would be. I have completed the hole game before in 2D. But still the game is "almost" more scary then I can handle... almost :D

+1 or is that number two's?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• AndyW1384AndyW1384 Posts: 307
    Trinity
    edited August 2017
    elboffor said:
    People mostly shit themselves playing this game
    Mostly 
    * little girl stares off into the distance with no expression at all *

See? This is why little kids shouldn't use VR!

;)
    That little kid has kids and I got 4, can still shit my pants with the best of them :)

• jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 824
    3Jane
    edited August 2017
    GrinderX9 said:
    Played about 3 hours so far. This is hands down the best VR experience I have had in any game.

I'm curious to hear what others are saying as well. I've been saying since the start after playing this on DK2 that it was still my best VR experience, even now. I see more respect for seated VR incoming. What we are finally seeing come to fruition is really what I've wanted in VR. I may be out of luck with Fallout though :(
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    edited August 2017
    Techy111 said:
    That little kid has kids and I got 4, can still shit my pants with the best of them :)
    Im pretty sure he was being descriptive of the scene from aliens lol

#oldmanfail
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    #OhBollocks I knew that !!!  :(

• SapowiTzSapowiTz Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    I both love and hate this! :D I dont feel any kind of motion-sickness, but I cant play for more than 1 hour at a time... it just gets to me being hunted all the time, and all my senses up for NOT being eaten! :D Kinda feels like workout after 1 hour hahaha

But I agree. This is one of the most intense and awesome experiences on the Oculus I had. Donated 25$ so far, but if it gets a little better with HUD interaction and view I will send more! So much worth it!

And its so cool with the "Alien Unpredictable Mod"... way more intense! :D 
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,503 Valuable Player
    I got killed by an alien for the first time earlier and felt genuine panic bordering on fear lol :o:D

I think that the size of these things and the speed that they move at thanks to the game running at 90fps has A LOT to do with it. The boss fights in Wilson's Heart were also a lot more stressful than I thought they would be too.

Such a great game for VR, I'm convinced that someone is going to literally die playing this game and that's why Sega chose not to release a VR version of the game when both of these headsets launched.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,212
    3Jane
    I am really hoping the UI elements being out of view gets fixed. It just feels like a tacked on broken mod till then. Cant see squat.
  • phoenixdigitalphoenixdigital Posts: 167
    Art3mis
    I think what people don't realise is that Nibre has basically reactivated the existing beta DK2 functionality that was already in the game to update it to work with the latest Oculus runtime.

Changing UI elements and adding in motion control support while not impossible would be orders of magnitude more complicated.

Thankyou again Nibre for the work you have done. You have done something no one else has been able to do in 1.5 years. I've been playing the crap out of this. My initial goal was to make it up to the derelict scene but now there I might just push on.
    CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,212
    3Jane
    I understand that actually pheonix. I'm simply hoping the broken UI elements are fixable. Touch controls are a whole other matter and not realistic to expect.