New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

How much space do I need for Oculus Touch?

Wonder_BreadWonder_Bread Posts: 21
Brain Burst
What is the recommended space requirements for Oculus Touch?

Comments

• GtAwyFrmMyRamenGtAwyFrmMyRamen Posts: 135
    Art3mis
    All you need is a space large enough to stand.
    But if a game uses room scale generally it will have specific recommended space size for that game specifically.

So best case scenario you have a huge room with lots of space. But you only NEED a small spot to stand.
  • Wonder_BreadWonder_Bread Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    I don't have a huge room but I have just enough space to use my PSVR so hopefully thats enough room for the Touch as well. Also do you know if you can use Touch sitting down in certain games?
  • GtAwyFrmMyRamenGtAwyFrmMyRamen Posts: 135
    Art3mis
    You can yes, I've done it.
  • neddycgoonneddycgoon Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    You are going to need room to swing your arms around and if you have room for a step or two in each direction that will be a bonus.As for sitting down if the sensor can see them that's all you need.
  • RedavenRedaven Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    I agree - its the hand and arm waving that will be the issue.  My play space has a ceiling fan right above me!  Not sure how long that will last! :)

Most seem to have a smallish space - maybe a couple of metres wide at most, near their PC desk.  Wall collisions will be common I think!
  • edmgedmg Posts: 1,149
    Wintermute
    edited November 2016
    The room is a lie. Most Steam 'ROOMSCALE!' games can be played standing in one spot, though it may not be a great experience when you have to teleport every step. But you will often need space to swing your arms around you for guns, swords or whatever.

The simple reality is that game devs who are running as a business don't build games that need a lot of space because few gamers have it. Their market is small enough already, without restricting it further.
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,195
    3Jane
    edited November 2016
    edmg said:
    The room is a lie. Most Steam 'ROOMSCALE!' games can be played standing in one spot, though it may not be a great experience when you have to teleport every step. But you will often need space to swing your arms around you for guns, swords or whatever.

The simple reality is that game devs who are running as a business don't build games that need a lot of space because few gamers have it. Their market is small enough already, without restricting it further.
    Absolutely correct.  It's at the point where everyone has their own definition of it. But one things for sure you  don't need more than standing room plus room to wave your arms about. Anything more is  just a bonus and there isn't one game to date that requires you walk about your play space and Vive users continue to call this along with  motion controllers " room scale".
  • wayne.hinkelwayne.hinkel Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Other commenters are correct; you don't HAVE to have more than a single spot with clearance for arm movement for the Rift, which seems to have less games designed for room scale than the Vive.  However, it's great to have enough area to take a couple steps in any direction.  I have reserved an 8' by 10' area in the adjacent bedroom for my HTC Vive, but only a small 4' by 4' spot right in front of my office PC for the Oculus Rift, which needs to be closer to the PC due to the extra USB sensor cabling.

For the man who has a ceiling fan right above him:  Beware the otherwise wonderful Google Earth, which asks you to swipe a controller over your head to change the time of day!