New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Alien Isolation VR Mod Is On Its Way!!!

Comments

• NacaryusNacaryus Posts: 228
    Nexus 6
    So i wonder what will be the next modded horror game, Outlast maybe? Plz ? :)
  • SimplexPLSimplexPL Posts: 18
    Brain Burst
    Without access to source code it's almost impossible to make a good VR mod. Alien Isolation is an exception as it already had VR support built by the devs. Similar story with Dying Light. 
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,212
    3Jane
    edited August 2017
    Which is why I ask if these issues can be fixed. I hope....otherwise it's just too messed up for me. 
  • Murpheus77Murpheus77 Posts: 125
    Art3mis
    Nacaryus said:
    I played through Outlast with Vireio and the ubiquitous sensation of impending death was far more intense than A.I., in my opinion. Both are tough (perhaps the toughest) games to play in VR, but at least A.I. offers a means of self defence and therefore a sense of contingency. In Outlast you have two legs and a camcorder equipped with night vision, presumably so you don't miss all the good bits where you are bludgeoned to death in the pitch dark by a naked freak with an old table leg.    

Outlast in VR is about as disturbing as it gets for me in a game. I'd usually pass on any form of media that involves being helplessly pursued by naked, possessed, muscle-bound maniacs (just not my taste) but there is something about the game that resolves you to beat it - and then spend a long time weeping in the shower afterwards.   

Anyway...great mod and fantastic effort, Nibre.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,153 Valuable Player
    Nacaryus said:
    outlast would be good, as would any resident evil games, or Dead Space.

not horror but i would love VR Tomb Raider.

(as a general rule - excluding AI and doom 3 which just had to be made VR - I think 3rd person games NOT made for VR may translate better by mods than 1st person... ie like edge og nowhere)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,023 Valuable Player
    edited August 2017
    I don't understand how you can get a game with crap graphics that runs like shite. But can then get a game like Alien Isolation that has great graphics and hardly drops below 90 FPS.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,503 Valuable Player
    lovethis said:
    I don't understand how you can get a game with crap graphics that runs like shite. But can then get a game like Alien Isolation that has great graphics and hardly drops below 90 FPS.
    Talent.

A lot of it is also down to Substances. A software company called Allegorithmic has developed an awesome suite of programs called Substance Designer, Substance Painter and Bitmap2Material. This suite of programs allow developers to create PBR textures (Physically Based Rendering) which behave in-game when exposed to light and shadows as objects in real life. And as a nice added bonus these textures are small in size so are pretty cheap to render in terms of processing.

I managed to buy the Indie Pack while they had a sale on and got all 3 for $199 instead of $299.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • gibbskigibbski Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
     Thank you for this! 
  • KianoniKianoni Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    Works perfectly. No motion sickness for me. Totally unplayable, too scary.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,007 Valuable Player
    edited August 2017
     but i would love VR Tomb Raider.

wow this would be something

I am putting it out there now, any Dev making Tomb raider VR

I am willing to have your children <3:o
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • SimplexPLSimplexPL Posts: 18
    Brain Burst
    vannagirl said:

Is it impossible to convert SBS to VR?

• phoenixdigitalphoenixdigital Posts: 167
    Art3mis
    edited August 2017
    SimplexPL said:

Can you do it in Virtual desktop?

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4zjqeh/rise_of_tomb_raider_fov_fix_great_3d_quality_in/

CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port
  • AndyW1384AndyW1384 Posts: 307
    Trinity
    SimplexPL said:
    vannagirl said:

That wouldn't be VR, though, the best you could do would be get a big-screen 3D effect. Until a proper VR port comes along, the best that can be done is to use things like VorpX or Vireio to at least give semi-VR.
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    how do you get this to work? do you have to buy it through steam? 
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,712 Valuable Player
    If you dont own the game then yes steam or a hardcopy from a store if you can find a store that has pc games.
    WAAAGH!
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,447 Volunteer Moderator
    vannagirl said:

@snowdog here's your big break! Drop your current project and get to work on an unofficial Tomb Raider VR game!
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    Sadly he's too old  :(
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Who's too old..?!!? :o

I have indeed dropped my project and am working on Tomb Raider. Honest. So @vannagirl can come over to mine and get jiggy with Mr Biggy :p

The fact that this version of Tomb Raider is in first person and takes place on a spaceship infested by 'orrible aliens that want to eat your face is purely coincidental. Tomb Raider in space. Could catch on! B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Hahahahahaha

wait, what Snowdog is deving??

Yup B)

Am working on a sci-fi survival-horror game that's going to be something like Dreadhalls meets Alien Isolation Tomb Raider game (honest!). It's slow going because a) I haven't developed a game since the late 80s and don't have a Scooby Doo what I'm doing b) I'm documenting all of this in a Dev Blog on the VR Spies Forum here as I'm going along and c) My issues with severe depression make it difficult to work on, I have good days and bad weeks so I can go several weeks at a time without working on it at all unfortunately. :(

Just bought myself the Indie Substance Pack from Allegorithmic when it was on sale the other day - Substance Designer, Substance Painter and Bitmap2Material all for $199! :D Allows you to create realistic looking textures VERY quickly and easily and have been used to do the textures for loads of AAA games including Lone Echo and Robo Recall B)

The Dev Blog above says the game is called Nakamura's Pride but I decided to change it to Nakamura's Fall because there's some retired MMA fighter called Nakamura who won some sort of MMA competition called Pride so didn't want to run into any licencing/copyright issues by calling the ship Nakamura's Pride so have instead gone for the NMC Nakamura and calling the game Nakamura's Fall because the player responds to a distress call and as he/she plays through the game discovers what caused the fall of the ship.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,153 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Yup B)

Am working on a sci-fi survival-horror game that's going to be something like Dreadhalls meets Alien Isolation Tomb Raider game (honest!). It's slow going because a) I haven't developed a game since the late 80s and don't have a Scooby Doo what I'm doing b) I'm documenting all of this in a Dev Blog on the VR Spies Forum here as I'm going along and c) My issues with severe depression make it difficult to work on, I have good days and bad weeks so I can go several weeks at a time without working on it at all unfortunately. :(

Good luck with that. Sounds an ambitious title for your 1st game in 30 years! Sorry to hear about your health problems. I have friends who suffer with depression it's a horrible thing !.

May I ask what your past games were back in the day? Mayhap I played one.

Once again good luck

PS I hate the quoting on this site
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    You wouldn't have played any of them because I was still a kid at school so wrote them for friends lol. I did get together with a couple of mates around that time and one of my mates sent a load of games off on our behalf to a company but I didn't think we heard anything back from them. He confessed about 15-20 years later that he ripped us off and got 50 quid from them...dodgy fucker lol :o:D

I did work in the industry for a few years until my depression stopped me from working and worked on Championship Manager, Tomb Raider Legends, Tomb Raider Anniversary, Just Cause and another few that have slipped my mind.

I soon got sick to the death of the sight of Tomb Raider and Lara Croft though, there was a life size Lara Croft statue opposite my desk so I saw her every day that I was working for Eidos. Bloody woman lol :/:o:/:D

I used to be a QA Technician so got paid to play video games which has been the only job in my life that I've enjoyed doing. Such a shame that my depression ruined this for me, I can't see myself getting back into the industry again as a tester because I'm way too old now unfortunately, hopefully this game (if I ever get it finished) will open the door to getting a game design job of some description though. It's quite frustrating that you can't get a design job unless you have a degree but if I end up having a game on the Oculus Store that should show people that you don't need a design degree to work in this industry and get things done.

I'm a long way away from being able to get back to work though, am waiting to get regular appointments with a shrink at my local psychiatric hospital so we'll see how things go I guess.

Here's a list of some of the stuff I worked on, those are just ones where I'm credited as a tester, there were other games such as Urban Chaos and Just Cause amongst others where I did a load of overtime late on in the projects, some I got a Special Thanks mention and some I didn't:

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,175411/

edited August 2017
    Told you hes old  :D and jiggy with mr biggy ? Now I'm pretty sure there is a thread here somewhere that you comment on your Mr small ?  o:) I feel for you @snowdog I'm in the medical business and help people like yourself daily. Big kudos to you. Stay sharp and crack on mate ;)

A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Yup, I ripped that off Ali G, he was great back in the day! :D

My mate and ex-boss Tony used to play that video in the pub I used to work in during the day years and years ago. Also played The Fat Slags (the funny animated version not the crap one with those two actresses from that crap sitcom that I've forgotten the name of!) Life Of Brian, Meaning Of Life, The Holy Grail and Jungle Burger. Every now and we had a member of the public complaining about the films we were showing, saying they were offensive so we just told them to fuck off and drink somewhere else lmfao :D:D:D

My name is Tony, am I your ex boss ? I can't remember lol

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,023 Valuable Player
    edited August 2017
    Edit
    edited August 2017
    snowdog said:

I'm a long way away from being able to get back to work though, am waiting to get regular appointments with a shrink at my local psychiatric hospital so we'll see how things go I guess.

I am sorry to hear this,
    i hope they can help you soon. You always sound so happy and carefree.

I have seen PTSD up close a few times all i can give is, the start key to always moving forward is structure

nice varied career also :)

back to topic, looking around the stores i had bookmarked, this titles is back up to $35. Word spreading it is popular again?

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,074 Valuable Player
    vannagirl said:

They did make a VR mode for the PSVR in Rise of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition. Not sure if they released it on Steam. Apparently it wasn't all that and had you look around the Croft manor for clues about Lara's past.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Am I the only one that can't get the image of @vannagirl looking like Lara Croft out of my mind..? :blush::DB)

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,074 Valuable Player
    edited August 2017
    @Snowdog  nice to hear you being personal and quite candid rather than just leering after Vannagirl :p . Kudos for giving us an insight into your personal struggles. Maybe in a way it's a kind of therapy opening up about it here.
    Nice gaming history btw. And that game you're making, why not turn it into an Adult VR game* ? Start a Patreon and bam! There are more horny men (willing to part with cash to support a project) looking for adult VR gaming experiences than those who want wave shooters with zombies or robots.

*Please. :p:p:p:p:p:p:p

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.