cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus system to untwist the cable

Fri13
Protege
Would it be possible to add Oculus software to keep a track how many rotations user does since launching a VR title and once a user has rotated pre-set (customization possibility) rotations, the HMD would inform about twisted cable and guide a user to direction where to rotate and how many times so cable gets untwisted?

It could be very subtle like glowing dots on edge/bottom of the HMD on the side where user should rotate himself around the cable.

The system would reset itself when launching a new title (after removing HMD from head) and would be possible to be reseted similar manner as the viewing point can be reseted.

This would help to avoid the twisted cables, lengthen their lifetime and avoid damaging them, or requiring to raise HMD to check how the cable is and how many times to rotate get it untwisted. 

13 REPLIES 13

lensmandave
Superstar
....or just occasionally unplug the Rift and let the cables hang loose while they un-twist.
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

Fri13
Protege

....or just occasionally unplug the Rift and let the cables hang loose while they un-twist.

So you are going to unplug the HDMI and USB cables every couple minutes in the games that requires you to do 360 constantly every second or two? (Shooting range kind games etc).

You do know that every connector has a standard defined amount how many many plug/unplug actions they need to offer?

Example the SATA cables standard defines 25 mounting times. 
A HDMI cable is drafted to withstand even 10 000 connections, but it is only for the pins inside the plug and it is only for perfect mechanic (robotic) connection tested. Add some stress to the plug via cable natural hanging or few incorrect plugging and you are wearing either male or female connector out.

So if you want to do that, it is better get a short 10cm extender that you are going to waste on the computer end, but still might need to buy a new HMD cable at some point then.

A software calculator that will protect you from twisting the cable is easy to do and as good as Oculus Guardian system, as anyone could just say "use a carpet to tell you the game area" or "take your HMD now and then off and check what there is around you!".

Having the protection/guidance system is cheap, buying a new cable, new 3D card or something else (injury because falling etc as cable gets short) is not so cheap. 

cleanupdisc
Adventurer
It may be a nusance to you but VR has bigger things to worry about than building software to accurately help you untwist the cable. Ive had my rift for 3 weeks now and havent had any issue with getting wires tangled.

Thmoas
Rising Star
Theres helper software on steam for that but I don't use it.

What I do now is between play sessions I put the cable on the floor in a straight line and by the "curls" you can see the twists. I just twist the headset around untill the cable is straight again. I don't like plugging/unplugging stuff either. This works great for me now, it was just some trial and error to figure what direction to twist the headset but now I can see it the way the curls are bent.

xWandererx
Heroic Explorer
WTF? lol

Fri13
Protege

It may be a nusance to you but VR has bigger things to worry about than building software to accurately help you untwist the cable. Ive had my rift for 3 weeks now and havent had any issue with getting wires tangled.

Do you claim that it would be very difficult and challenging for Oculus to program a safety feature to their Home?

Many gets those twisted and often. Every person who I have let to test the Rift has got them tangled around so badly that there are multiple loops in the cable and I need to ask them to stop and take HMD off or do the "cable dance".

Fri13
Protege

Thmoas said:

Theres helper software on steam for that but I don't use it.

What I do now is between play sessions I put the cable on the floor in a straight line and by the "curls" you can see the twists. I just twist the headset around untill the cable is straight again. I don't like plugging/unplugging stuff either. This works great for me now, it was just some trial and error to figure what direction to twist the headset but now I can see it the way the curls are bent.

This ain't about steam, this is about Oculus own Home software. 

And the twisting happens very easily and often when you are in a immersive game in 360. It ain't a problem at all when seated or when playing 180 degree games where you don't go around (and even then games like Robo Recall has the guidance for you to turn around facing the default direction!). 

Going through the "cable dance" and checking the cables after / in / before use ain't so nice thing, and it will leave bad things for those who are testing it, as so many is about "Can't you get this wireless?". And carrying extra battery back strapped to you with limited playtime ain't the answer that many likes!

If so many feels that feature would be unwanted, then just don't enable that in the settings / disable it in the settings!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I've had my Rift for over a year and played many games that require constant 360 movement. A few times I may get the chord wrapped around my chair, but that's pretty rare. When that happens, I turned the other way real quick... problem solved.

What game are you folks playing where wire twisting is such a problem that you require outside intervention?

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is a definite problem, whether you have the cable on the floor or suspended it does get tangled, and will damage the cable eventually.
For any stating this is not a problem, try playing Onward for 4 hours and see how twisted your cable gets then.