cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Medium Suggestions

slipgatecentral
Explorer
TL&DR: Medium is a very nice toy, but it's hard to be productive in it. 

After playing for few hours with it, I have some ideas that might improve this software for professional artists, without ruining accessibility for beginners.

-Almost very tool needs an alt modifier, that will allow user quickly switch to alternate mode. Example - for clay tool, to cut holes you need to open menu, select "Erase", and close menu. Needs to be faster, preferably holding modifier button on left controller (like the one we got for alternate tool). Every sculpting 3d software has this - primary function can be switched instantly to it's opposite.

- We must be able to select same tools for primary and alternate, but they must not share settings. This will be extremely useful in many cases. Like, you can paint using 2 different brushes with different color.

- Desperately need move/pull tool. Smudge doesn't do much. If there's no room on the palette I suggest removing useless swirl.

- Need an option to customize brushes and my palette. Would be great to have my own selection of saved tools with different settings. Time saver.

- Need bigger color swatch accessible from menu. Right now only 3 colors in it.

- Eyedropper tool takes too long to select. It also needs a button modifier for quick operation, like Alt key in Photoshop.

I am a professional 3d artist and I'm looking forward to work in VR. Those are just first steps but I see tons of potential in VR sculpting. 
323 REPLIES 323

hendrikvp
Honored Guest
Thanks for the hint with the alignment, that is a big help!

hendrikvp
Honored Guest
Being a programmer, a plugin-SDK would be great. Though i know that the code of the tool itself has to mature, before a stable API can be made public, but maybe one day.... :smile:

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
I'm thinking if the Move tool could use a stamp profile instead of just a sphere it'd be kind of like godmode! 

Shuflie
Explorer
Don't think this has been suggested yet, when using the paint tool have the non paint hand trigger act as a pressure sensitive colour change. By this I mean define two colours, one for trigger released and the other for fully pressed, then mix from one to the other as the trigger is squeezed.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Would be nice if the subtract tool for stamps could be made so it can be scaled to higher sizes.  The cube, in particular, is useful for cutting objects, and sometimes can't be made large enough to remove an area in one hit, without leaving edge fragments.

Bonus points if a face of the cutting cube could be snapped to the mirror plane, with the line tool.  This would allow a model or layer to be cut in half, directly on the mirror face.  The user could then use the flip feature to create perfect symmetry. 

Sterling77
Rising Star
Agreed - Mirror and Weld would be very helpful. As well moving a part as a mirrored movement.

Just a Quick note remember to check your sculpt position before starting a mirrored version of a sculpt - I had some trouble yesterday where I nudged the overall position of the sculpt, started modeling on a mirror plane and when i finished I couldn't zero out anything as my sculpt was nudged off world center.

I tried everything to get it back to the zero center, but the damage was done 
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52965/sterlings-sketchbook

Octops
Explorer
I received my Oculus just a week or so ago and wasn't aware of medium..now it's one of my fav VR apps.
I don't have as much experience in Medium as others in here but I've worked with Zbrush professionally so I know digital sculpting. Here are some of my first thoughts about sculpting in medium.

-Clay surface constraint needs a depth setting.
-Clay surface constraint seems to snap orientation to a default when brushing.Need to be able to orient the stamp.
-Inflate needs an intensity setting...the trigger is quite sensitive.
-Inflate needs to have falloff options, or even alphas/stamps to allow more control.
-The invert function shortcut is awkward relative in how frequently it's used.
-Show wireframe option / resolution level.
-A spray option for the clay brush for scattering things, randomizing size, orientation etc.
-The line constraint might feel more natural if you first click on the start point, then get a line following your movement, then release at the end point to create the line.
-Primitives with some basic settings, so you could for instance adjust length, taper, thickness, bend, etc on the capsule or whatever. That would allow you to not import a million stamps.
Snap/Lock axis for more precise placement
-Masks and extract
-To complement the cut tool, give the clay brush a "cut" option in addition to Add and Sub so you can boolean out complex shapes, while still keeping both parts. A cut plane would also be nice.
-Move based on topology

Medium has great potential..I'm hoping you're willing to let it mature so it's simple to use, but that advanced options are there for users that needs it.
It would make a fantastic AR app too..and when VR gloves mature. Exciting times.

Anonymous
Not applicable
We need a way of precisely placing single stamps. I suggest a "Layer from stamp" button in the layers menu. It creates a new layer with a single stamp in it. The stamp it placed exactly at the layer origin and then you can move the layer using the manipulator. This alone would greatly expand the potential for professional use of the software.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Additional suggestion: Snapping stamps to the mirror plane. When the center of a stamp is within X (some configurable scalar in the options) the origin of the stamp snaps onto the plane and the X, Y, or Z axis (whichever has a smaller angle to the mirror plane normal) is locked into alignment with the normal of the mirror plane.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Paint spray seems to be projecting a sphere rather than a patch of facing-normals? Spraying one side of a thin sculpt doesn't really work without shrinking the spray size down to thinner than the area you're working on which is time consuming and annoying. Be nice if this could be changed. There would still be the option of brush-mode for covering the whole volume at once.