cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stereo Shading Reprojection

bigmike20vt
Visionary
I am surprised this has not been posted here yet. I have not had time to read properly but up to 20% decrease on gpu load sounds nice to me

Whilst
I am not really a huge fan of oculus seemingly putting in a lot of time
into mobile VR, the plus point is, when working on weaker devices it
really makes them push the boundaries to reducing the levels of compute
needed for low end VR

which then has the knock on effect of those with high end VR being able to crank up the details 🙂

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂
33 REPLIES 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
I meant to post about this yesterday after I saw it on Reddit but I didn't get around to it. I might have mentioned it in a post here somewhere but I can't remember.

Only for Unity so far but they reckon it's easy enough to bring this to other engines.

This is what I meant when I said that Oculus are so far ahead of everyone in terms of R&D. Valve haven't even sorted out their version of ASW yet. What with this and ASW the performance of the Rift (and the quality of a PC capable of running one) is going to piss all over other headsets.

YoLolo69
Trustee
The Oculus dev team still amaze me for their imagination and creativity, it's pretty rare to go that deep and far to provide a better experience instead of relying only on new hardware.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

bigmike20vt
Visionary

YoLolo69 said:

The Oculus dev team still amaze me for their imagination and creativity, it's pretty rare to go that deep and far to provide a better experience instead of relying only on new hardware.

Well i guess its in their interests really. The biggest thing naysayers say about vr is the price of entry is too high. The lower end the pc that can be classed vr capable the more people can board the vr train without having to buy a new pc. Plus in the future i imagine it will help mobile vr
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

YoLolo69 said:

That's what @vannagirl said! 😮 😛 B)

andysonofbob
Heroic Explorer
Copied from my thread I opened in haste as I panicked about this news.

😞

I read this article and see similar technology to nvidia's depth buffer
3D (aka fake 3D), which is absolutely shocking.  Similar to Crysis 2 and
3's awful inhouse 3D.  Basically, lots of 2D assets pushed to depth,
like 2D characters in pop up books. Not good.

I come from 3D Vision.  One of the things that killed 3D, I think, was
depth buffer.  It does not blow you away to S3D; frankly, it turns you
off it.

Hopefully that image they chose to use of those ball
things was just very poorly chosen and isn't remotely representative. 
If it is representative [*shock horror*
] you will be able to see it object as lots of 2D objects pushed to
depth.  Obviously for the scene with the sphere to be rendered
accurately you would see halos to various degrees all over the spheres.

Has anyone seen this in action?

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Not seen it in action but i have faith that oculus wouldn't blow their load and kill vr on a feature which doesnt work for the sake of a 20% improvement. Atw worked. Asw worked. I have faith this will too

andysonofbob
Heroic Explorer
Hope so!

It does say depth buffer and that picture...  Who's Oculus' quality control?  I 100% know Palmer knew what he was talking about when it came to 3D quality.  He was still around with ATW and ASW.  He is not around now.

Sorry but depth buffer is a right load of poo.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Palmer lucky helped start this whole thing off and for that i will for ever be grateful but if push came to shove now the ball is rolling and it was a choice between PL and john carmack as a software guy improving the features i think i would take carmack

andysonofbob
Heroic Explorer
Yeah, forgot about Carmack, he is cool (made Doom 3 S3D).

I think depth buffer is a bit different to ATW and ASW though, don't they predict where the pixels go for missing frames? If so, that's different to depth buffer.  With ATW and ASW you get the missing frame's predicted information injected into the scene but depth buffer removes information.

You need all the information from both eyes' representations for decent S3D.  Not sure how you would achieve that 20% performance gains without some information loss.  The perfomance boost with depth buffer was good but information loss had a rude impact on image definition.

I am concerned because this sounds just like depth buffer 3D to me.  The article says depth buffer and the picture shows a *single*, as in one single halo for a sphere.  The only difference between this and nvidia's depth buffer is that they correct the halo effect on the final pass.

Soz but warning bells are chiming.