cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is everyone dealing with the screen door effect?

RiftUser83
Protege
i have had my Rift for a few days now and I really like it alot, but the SDE is really killing the experience for me. Its very hard for me to feel like im in any environment because all i see is the bad looking screen. I really dont want to take it back for a refund so im wondering what others are doing to either fix the sde or how they are dealing with it? Thanks

P.S. im running a 6600k @ 4.5ghz and a 1080ti so system specs isnt an issue.
56 REPLIES 56

Anonymous
Not applicable
mmm You can still see the SDE even in the 4k model there - 
With 4k by 4k we can add a bit of blurriness though and clean up almost 70-80% of the current SDE though. Problem at 4k will be text and distant objects will still be hard to read or see as well, but at 8k we can add just a bit more and should be able to make out current text pretty well with distant objects still being a bit hard to see - but should be able to make out shapes. 12k by 12k will be like - mmm real world by then - with SDE only being able to see at the distant planes and we can pull back some of the blurriness.Then at 16k by 16k should be able to just -- well have everything pretty good looking.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

i have had my Rift for a few days now and I really like it alot, but the SDE is really killing the experience for me. Its very hard for me to feel like im in any environment because all i see is the bad looking screen. I really dont want to take it back for a refund so im wondering what others are doing to either fix the sde or how they are dealing with it? Thanks

P.S. im running a 6600k @ 4.5ghz and a 1080ti so system specs isnt an issue.

strange. i barely see it. I guess i have been immunised thanks to 2 years of DK2 usage (SDE was a big issue with the DK2)
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I hardly notice it either. If I look for it and focus on it, then yes I can see it. But when focused on the environment of what I am looking at during gaming, not so much.

RiftUser83
Protege
Whats weird is my screen looks very close to the DK2 screen than the cv1 screen. The spacing is almost identical. I thought my screen was certainly defective so I exchanged it for another and its the same thing. The best way to describe my screen is its like looking at your smart phone screen with a bunch of facial oil on it. The screen (both rift's have had this) just doesn't look clear. I think I could see passed the sde if it wasn't for this issue. Its also like its not running in high quality mode or something.

pyroth309
Visionary
I'm at a loss there, have had my face in 3 different rifts and never seen something like that unless it was actually oils on it and needed wiping. Are you sure you have the IPD set right?

bigmike20vt
Visionary
have you took any screen protectors off (stupid question i know, but just in case)
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I hardly notice it tbh, but that's probably down to my only other previous VR experience before being with my smartphone and Google Cardboard lol

Cpt_Custard
Adventurer
It bothered me at first but ive accepted it and dont really pay it much attention any more.

But what you describe sounds like you left the lense protectors on.

BoxDroppingManA
Expert Protege
I only really notice when I first put the headset on. 

RiftUser83
Protege
Protectors have been removed and lenses wiped clean. Same effect on both rifts. Im guessing it's something to do with my video card. Any settings that could cause this on an 1080ti?