How is everyone dealing with the screen door effect? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

How is everyone dealing with the screen door effect?

RiftUser83RiftUser83 Posts: 26
Brain Burst
i have had my Rift for a few days now and I really like it alot, but the SDE is really killing the experience for me. Its very hard for me to feel like im in any environment because all i see is the bad looking screen. I really dont want to take it back for a refund so im wondering what others are doing to either fix the sde or how they are dealing with it? Thanks

P.S. im running a 6600k @ 4.5ghz and a 1080ti so system specs isnt an issue.

Comments

• edmgedmg Posts: 1,138
    Wintermute
    Most of the time, I don't see it. It's only really prevalent on areas of solid colours, so the more detailed the imagery, the less I see the screen door.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    The SDE will be around for a while - All headsets have this effect because of the screen. It wont be going away until we can hit something like 16k by 16k. If you enjoy your VR unit - then enjoy VR. There isn't much you can really do without removing the qulity of the image. It's a trade off the most part (PSVR has it, Vive has it, Intel headsets, etc etc).
  • MexxanMexxan Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    PSVR has managed it already. I sold my Vive after a few weeks because of the cheese grater effect - putting my Rift on now and going to SteamVR is so much better, but you simply can't touch the screen/optics in PSVR, inferior? Maybe on paper but not when your using it. I'd have chromatic issues over SDE any day.

granted the PS4 Pro was a disappointment with my PSVR but I'd say Sony has cracked SDE this gen. unfortunately sold it because the move controllers were just crap and the tracking is so shite, it's starts warping even when your motionless.

Rift + PSVR screen? I'd be laughing this gen instead of eating for a 4Ker.
  • RolzRolz Posts: 197
    Art3mis
    don't really notice it in my driving sims... in the real world you have a helmet on so you'd have same effect.
    CPU: i7 7700K @ 5GHz | GPU: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB| MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus IX Code | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz | HDD: Samsung 960 EVO 500 M.2, Micron 512GB SSD, RAID5 WD RED 1.8TB| PSU: Corsair HX850 | OS: Win 10 x86_64| MONITOR: Oculus Rift CV1 | Audio: Onboard Realtek | Gear: Fanatec CSW v2 | Rim Clubsport BMW GT2, Clubsport Formula | Fanatec Shifter SQ v1.5 | DSD 2015 Pedals | Sim-Lab GT1 | Vision Racer Bucket Seat

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,548 Valuable Player
    edited August 2017
    I came to the rift after enjoying the glory of native 4k gaming for over a year and I went through the same thing with SDE. For the first probably 2 weeks, It just killed the experience for me in a lot of games but after awhile I just trained my brain to focus on what's going on in the game it became more of an afterthought but still always there.

In games that it's very apparent i just try to keep my head moving around and then I don't see it as much but you can't really do that when reading text and you get reminded it's there. It's just something that we have to deal with this generation. Ive also noticed that at certain ranges of AntiiAliasing or pixel density it makes the pixels look worse/huge which a lot of people confuse for SDE. All I can say is play around with your settings and get it the best you can then focus on being immersed. With a TI you should be able to run 1.8 or more pixel density which should help but if you're used to 4k gaming it's just gonna be a brain training thing to look past the SDE.

I had a PSVR also, which I just sold a few days ago, as well and it did have better screen door but it was still there. The gaps were definitely smaller due to the arrangement and it made it less noticeable but I also never felt as immersed as I do with the Rift for w/e reason be it motion or higher graphic fidelity. My PC is an enthusiast rig so the graphics were a lot better and sharper looking on my Rift even with having to look at them through the worse screen door. Hopefully Next Gen will finally make SDE a thing of the past and we can get our high res graphics fix on.
  • shiarishiari Posts: 191
    Art3mis
    so im wondering what others are doing to either fix the sde or how they are dealing with it?
    Simple: I stopped focusing on it. It's going to always be there, it's not going to go away with anything you can do, and you can either focus on it being there or you can focus on enjoying the overall experience. While it's going to be here to stay at least for this gen (and next gen would not have the GPU power needed just yet to drive much higher resolution screens at adequate frame rates) this "screen door effect" will only bother you to the level you let it bother you, it's all about your own mindset.
  • frankelfertfrankelfert Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    For me it depends on the game. Some games or wors than others. If i play games like Launch for Mercury or Bullit Train i don't notice it. But games like Robo Recall or Lone Echo I can clearly see the SDE. Also movies are a deal breaker....

But we have to remember that we are early adopters... VR is just getting started. Maybe developers will overcome this SDE with some tweaking, otherwise we will have to wait for Rift CV2 or 3 ;)

It's not a deal breaker for me, I accept the SDE. It's better then going back to play games on 3 screen in high res. Now i'm into the game, instead of before the game ;)
    edited August 2017
    On the plus side - CV2 is looking promising into removing about 40-50% of the current amount of SDE you will be seeing  going off the current display advancements. SDE will show itself more when objects are far away like in Robo Recall and Lone Echo, but that can be over time by the brain pretty easy as others have said.

PSVR still has SDE though - I've used it and you can still see it and the image quality isn't as sharp - that is the trade off Sony did from having a sharp image to having a sightly blurry one. Like I said - the SDE wont be going away till 16k by 16k but the closer we get to that - the harder it'll be to see the SDE. The closer we get to the 16k resolution - the harder and harder you'll have to look for it. I wouldn't be surprise if we can still see it at 16k though - but at that point you are forcing yourself to see/find it.

There is another trade off as well - increasing FOV will also introduce some SDE again on the sides - but considering most of our focal point is in the middle of the eye about mmm 30 degrees of the 100 degree view - we should be able to spare some of the resolution as we move forward to increasing the FOV decently safely while increasing the resolution in the middle more and more. Eye tracking will help a ton here.

The big problem at that point will be brought back to the lenses themselves - but that is for another topic:)
  • NiseiNisei Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    Using a 4K screen already makes a huge difference!
    Not that the Pimax renders at 4K but it does solve the screendoor effect.

mmm You can still see the SDE even in the 4k model there - 
    With 4k by 4k we can add a bit of blurriness though and clean up almost 70-80% of the current SDE though. Problem at 4k will be text and distant objects will still be hard to read or see as well, but at 8k we can add just a bit more and should be able to make out current text pretty well with distant objects still being a bit hard to see - but should be able to make out shapes. 12k by 12k will be like - mmm real world by then - with SDE only being able to see at the distant planes and we can pull back some of the blurriness.Then at 16k by 16k should be able to just -- well have everything pretty good looking.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,821 Valuable Player
    i have had my Rift for a few days now and I really like it alot, but the SDE is really killing the experience for me. Its very hard for me to feel like im in any environment because all i see is the bad looking screen. I really dont want to take it back for a refund so im wondering what others are doing to either fix the sde or how they are dealing with it? Thanks

P.S. im running a 6600k @ 4.5ghz and a 1080ti so system specs isnt an issue.
    strange. i barely see it. I guess i have been immunised thanks to 2 years of DK2 usage (SDE was a big issue with the DK2)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,399 Valuable Player
    I hardly notice it either. If I look for it and focus on it, then yes I can see it. But when focused on the environment of what I am looking at during gaming, not so much.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • RiftUser83RiftUser83 Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    Whats weird is my screen looks very close to the DK2 screen than the cv1 screen. The spacing is almost identical. I thought my screen was certainly defective so I exchanged it for another and its the same thing. The best way to describe my screen is its like looking at your smart phone screen with a bunch of facial oil on it. The screen (both rift's have had this) just doesn't look clear. I think I could see passed the sde if it wasn't for this issue. Its also like its not running in high quality mode or something.

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,548 Valuable Player
    I'm at a loss there, have had my face in 3 different rifts and never seen something like that unless it was actually oils on it and needed wiping. Are you sure you have the IPD set right?
    have you took any screen protectors off (stupid question i know, but just in case)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,732 Valuable Player
    I hardly notice it tbh, but that's probably down to my only other previous VR experience before being with my smartphone and Google Cardboard lol
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Devlin-DarksideDevlin-Darkside Posts: 130
    Art3mis
    It bothered me at first but ive accepted it and dont really pay it much attention any more.

But what you describe sounds like you left the lense protectors on.
  • BoxDroppingManApeBoxDroppingManApe Posts: 60 Poster of the Week
    I only really notice when I first put the headset on. 
  • RiftUser83RiftUser83 Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    Protectors have been removed and lenses wiped clean. Same effect on both rifts. Im guessing it's something to do with my video card. Any settings that could cause this on an 1080ti?
  • SharpfishSharpfish Posts: 1,300
    Trinity
    TBH I let my ideals go for gen 1 and just enjoy what we have (for a very good price at £400). Having had Vive the Rift is already like night and day to me on SDE (and in most other ways too that count). So I'm happy for now. Of course it's there but I find I focus past it, as I've been doing mostly since DK2 days. CV1 makes it a lot easier as it's the sharpest/clearest of the lot so far (of the big 3). Yes I've also had PSVR, yes it has nice RGB screens, non fresnel lenses (no god rays) but it still wasn't good enough against the rift in many other areas (resolution was pretty bad and it's boring just having what sony serves up at this early stage - oh and yeah tracking was a joke).

Rift is the middle ground, great tracking like vive, great ergonomics like PSVR and the sharpest/clearest of them all + best software + best controllers and BEST price! also best build quality and finish.
    EX DK2, EX VIVE, EX PSVR, Currently RIFT CV1 | VR developer
    Poster of the week who never got a T-Shirt ;( dayum they looked tasty!
  • shiarishiari Posts: 191
    Art3mis
    I'm not sure anymore we're all talking about the same thing.

The "screen door effect" is caused by the the fresnel lenses that magnify the displays behind them, and thus the pixels. What people call the "screen door effect" is caused by the gaps between each of the elements that form each pixel (there are 2 green, 1 red and 1 blue dots for each "RGB pixel"). There's nothing you can do about this settings wise, it's a limitation of current display technology. It would require an entirely different display technology (if such a thing even exists; never heard of anything like it) or a much higher resolution to make the gaps between the dots barely or not visible at all.

At least if you can clearly see these dots you know you've got your headset in a good position and your inter pupil distance is set correctly. But to me it's not clear whether you are talking about this, or whether you're talking about other issues.

If however you are talking about e.g. blurry text then yes, you can do something about that to some extent. You can increase the supersampling, which means you render at a higher resolution and it is then downscaled to the Rift's resolution. It can make text quite a bit more readable, and a 1080Ti has plenty of power to perform that supersampling. Oculus Tray Tool (sticky here in the forum) can help with setting supersampling.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,565 Valuable Player
    Ill be honest I barely notice the effect and once I start playing I dont notice it.
    WAAAGH!
  • AroddoAroddo Posts: 46
    Brain Burst
    I dealt with it by venting and getting shit-talked by Oculus Fanboys.
    Just live with the fact that visuals are shite unless in motion.
    Never buy software for the Rift where you need to read.

edited August 2017
    Aroddo said:
    I dealt with it by venting and getting shit-talked by Oculus Fanboys.
    Just live with the fact that visuals are shite unless in motion.
    Never buy software for the Rift where you need to read.

???
    rift aint perfect and there have been a couple of examples where the resolution did cause issue.....
    the comic books in wilsons heart for eg
    but even then they are optional all the important stuff is clear.  But these are imo the exception not the rule

imo you are either over egging the issue or you have a setup problem. of course your  attitude (unlike the op which is fine) is not really conductive to getting help and you are creating a self fulfilling prophecy on the shit talking.

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,787 Valuable Player
    I don't even notice the SDE when I'm playing games, that's how I deal with it.  I can really only notice it in Lucky's Tale, other than that, I'd have to focus on the SDE in order to see it and if I'm doing that, I'm not enjoying the game, I'm looking for flaws.
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 318
    Trinity
    edited August 2017
    Screen door effect is thin black lines running verticaly and horizontaly between each row/column of pixels. Litteraly like viewing through a screen door (those window screens that keep flies and mosquitos out). PSVR has less black gap between the pixels, thus has this to a much lesser extent. It's more noticable with Vive, less with Rift and almost non existant with PSVR.

If you can see the SDE clearly, it means your focus is great :) Ignore it, get into the game, your brain will adapt and will start to ignore it.

It's gen1. Perfect is not here yet, but our brains can amazingly fill in the gaps. Just allow them.
  • CalmfixupCalmfixup Posts: 288
    Nexus 6
    edited August 2017
    Out of all the people I've shown the Rift to (which is many) SDE has literally never came up. 
    Resolution, yes, but not SDE.

I think it's one of those things that have a lot to do with expectations.
    If you're told to look for it before you even get your face in a headset, you can't unsee it.
    If no one has mentioned it, you'll likely never see it.

I see it more as an example of how all the negative press towards Gen 1 VR is skewing first time gamers' experiences...and not in a good way.

It's never bothered me in the slightest, as I've long dreamed of being able to be inside of the games I play. Once I've got the headset on I'm not thinking about the device on my head so much as the world I'm in.

• kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    Got to be honest I don't notice it unless I actively look for it.. I've been wearing glasses for nearsightedness and astigmatism since I was 8 so I'm used to things being blurry/unclear when they're far away..
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,783 Valuable Player
    Like others, I'm just too engrossed to notice it.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,286 Volunteer Moderator
    shiari said:
    What people call the "screen door effect" is caused by the gaps between each of the elements that form each pixel (there are 2 green, 1 red and 1 blue dots for each "RGB pixel"). There's nothing you can do about this settings wise, it's a limitation of current display technology.
    There is one thing that can be done in software, careful colour choice.
    Areas of pure red, green or blue will have more visible SDE due to so many sub pixels being turned off. In Elite Dangerous, the hud was mostly red. I used the Elite UI colour settings to shift the hud into orange instead of red, the added green subpixels helped to fill in the gaps between red subpixels.

Darker colours probably make it harder to see too, by making the brightness difference between the gaps and the subpixels less obvious.