Tired of the Rift cable tangling and twisting? Here is my solution - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Tired of the Rift cable tangling and twisting? Here is my solution

Comments

• ThotThot Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited December 2016
    guy why use those dogs leash, too heavy !!! use simply id cards holders rectable

http://www.seton.fr/media/catalog/product/d/m/dmeu_sbde_noir_1_std.lang.all.jpg

if not enought longer, use two of it!, 

the problem with cables at up the head is where you throw a grenade or play basketball, i hurt the cable and its bad, i prefer the cable on the floor
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    edited December 2016
    Sooo after a long day I finally installed this:

http://www.ikea.com/es/es/catalog/products/50103406/?query=501.034.06

Works great, no more cables on the ground! 

Pictures coming soon cause Im waiting a desk for the basement, atm the keyboard,mouse and monitor are sitting on a box  :D
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    Bloodlet said:
    I bought 2 of the XS flexi leads last week to try.

The weight of the cable was too much for them and they didn't retract at all. :/
    Maybe you connected too high and/or have too short of cables? I'm using extensions, then I run the thick double wire part up the wall through a bracket which holds most of the weight, then the single thinner cable part is connected about mid-way to the leash.  I rely on the 10 ft retractable cord to reach all areas of the room, so there isn't that much weight on the leash itself.  I had to adjust quite a bit to get the right attachment point.  You may need to adjust more or get a S flexi, or even M if you like the current setup.
    Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.
  • leo1954auleo1954au Posts: 370
    Nexus 6
    Well you could always try Zotac VR Backpack no need for long leads.

• ManayardManayard Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    only useful for vive,  rift sensors still need to connect to the pc so would actually have multiple wires to contend with then
  • leo1954auleo1954au Posts: 370
    Nexus 6
    Ah Forgot about the sensors
  • HoIIywoodHoIIywood Posts: 325
    Trinity
    edited December 2016
    Bloodlet said:

The weight of the cable was too much for them and they didn't retract at all.
    That's not good then, because I just made my cable even heavier by lacing it through some spiral management!

Kevin you said this below..should I get a larger one then, presumably they have heavier retention?
    kevink808 said:
    Bloodlet said:

The weight of the cable was too much for them and they didn't retract at all. :/
    Maybe you connected too high and/or have too short of cables? I'm using extensions, then I run the thick double wire part up the wall through a bracket which holds most of the weight, then the single thinner cable part is connected about mid-way to the leash.  I rely on the 10 ft retractable cord to reach all areas of the room, so there isn't that much weight on the leash itself.  I had to adjust quite a bit to get the right attachment point.  You may need to adjust more or get a S flexi, or even M if you like the current setup.
    3Jane
    Yes they do...go up a dog size and that should help.  But you can also adjust the attach point on the rift or use multiple leashes to distribute the weight so it doesn't overcome the retraction force.
  • FunmotionFunmotion Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    I have a better Idea tie a Helium Balloon to the cable :)

not bad idea
  • HornyyyHornHornyyyHorn Posts: 106
    Art3mis
    The ikea lamp fixed my cable problem. Its one of the best peripherals if've got for rift. I highly recommend it!
  • Log_a_FrogLog_a_Frog Posts: 1,045
    Trinity
    Jesus.. the cord isnt that annoying. Just pause and re-correct
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,791 Volunteer Moderator
    Stay calm @molokow, there are different games and people have different play styles, some cause more twists than others, pausing and untangling can be a bit immersion breaking, not even that, but just the thought of twists or damage from repeatedly stepping on the cord is enough to distract from the experience.
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
    I'm thinking, adding a hook or strap to the end of the lamp support would give a place to hang the Rift when not in use. @HornyyyHorn I assume you need Hdmi/USB extensions to go with the lamp? It'll probably be a couple weeks before my living room is ready for VR, so will pick up the lamp in the New Year
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
    Trinity
    kevink808 said:
    Yes they do...go up a dog size and that should help.  But you can also adjust the attach point on the rift or use multiple leashes to distribute the weight so it doesn't overcome the retraction force.
    I am still uncertain where on the rift you would attach it. Maybe you can show pictures of your arrangement ?
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    Here is my final setup, waiting for the third sensor that hopefully is coming next week..
    This machine is only for VR, the big brother is upstairs in the office.

i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
    That looks pretty good @EliteSPA, I'm going to be in the same boat in needing a separate office PC once my VR migrates to the living room... I thought my spending was coming to an end!
    Trinity
    HoIIywood said:
    kevink808 said:
    I am still uncertain where on the rift you would attach it. Maybe you can show pictures of your arrangement ?
    Also @kevink808
    what are we using to secure the dog leash unit from not moving about?
  • Log_a_FrogLog_a_Frog Posts: 1,045
    Trinity
    EliteSPA said:
    Here is my final setup, waiting for the third sensor that hopefully is coming next week..

You will still hit it as you move around. Hanging from the ceiling would be better.
    I guess the problem is if you are renting.

Honestly. Go outside in the backyard and do it and set yourself up a few good square meters.
    It works well.
    Trinity
    molokow said:
    EliteSPA said:

You will still hit it as you move around. Hanging from the ceiling would be better.
    I guess the problem is if you are renting.

Honestly. Go outside in the backyard and do it and set yourself up a few good square meters.
    It works well.
    I am more freaked out about him knocking the computer off the desk. I will never in my life put a running system on top of a desk..ever..just asking for trouble !

• ManayardManayard Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    For Persons trying to do an overhead cabling setup but are concerned about cables hanging down, thought I would post a few pictures of my setup in case it helps anyone,this is still a work in progress but is very usable as is.
    I am using a boom tripod i found on amazon cheap,it is a bit on the flimsy side, had to use a couple 10 lb ankle weights to get it stable, However it has the advantage that the boom does swivel ,to deal with cable sag I have a couple of dog leashes to pull in excess cable 

On the headset side i am using a knapsack with attachable selfie stick that i attach the cable to, this helps keep it above head height and prevent that tugging on my headset. 

Keeping mind I am working with some constraints Apartment living so i cant wall or ceiling mount anything and i have ceiling fans to deal with as well. Space is currently 2m x 1.8m. But once Christmas tree is down if i move a couch and pc  i potentially can open that up to 4m x 2m and have tested an can currently get full movement within that region with current placement, but everything is on tripods so i can adjust sensors if needed.
    3Jane
    Good lord, you been playing some Fantastic Contraptions. You do know that someday our kids are going to make fun of us for this nonsense back when VR was wired!  :D
    Trinity
    edited December 2016
    kevin can you show us how you setup the dogleash?

3Jane
    Sorry it took so long. Holidays and all.  Here are some pics I posted elsewhere of my setup. You can see how I run the cables up the wall, then to a couple cuphooks on the ceiling, then to two dog leashes. Note that dog leash #2 is actually disconnected when not in use so the HMD can rest on my mannequin.  I had to play with it for the exact slack I wanted.  Depending on whether I'm in a seated, standing, front-facing or roomscale experience, I can easily adjust the configuration to make the cable where I need it to be.  The trick to using the Flexi XS leashes is to support the main cable enough so the leashes only pull enough to hold the cord, but not enough for you to really feel it.  This setup works great.

• JettStilesJettStiles Posts: 175
    Art3mis
    In the end I went for a solution much similiar to kevink808's setup:

Bought this off Amazon for 19 quid - you can see that it's just basically stuff cobbled together that you'll find in every toolshed.
    You just tape the hooks onto your ceiling (had to use special tape there cause the one that came with the set just wouldn't stick), set up the tension on the leash and run the Oculus cable through it.

Best thing: The "leash" (the little black things at the top) can easily be taken down when you're not playing leaving just the hooks visible.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MIDWEC-Lanyards-Adhesive-Virtual-Wires-Easy-x/dp/B01MSJ6XF5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483333829&sr=8-1&keywords=midwec%2Bcable%2Bmanagement%2Bvr&th=1
    Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 @ 3.40 Ghz -- Kingston Hyper X 8GB DDR3-1600 -- EVGA GTX980 ACX 2.0 -- Asus H97M-Plus -- Asus VG278H 120Hz 3D Monitor
  • WeathonWeathon Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Thanks @maxpare79 !
    I used your approach and it does exactly what it should. I think this is the perfect solution if you just want your cable from entangling itself and dont want to mount anything or so.
    And it just cost 4$, i dont even need tie straps :)
  • AroddoAroddo Posts: 46
    Brain Burst
    edited August 2017
    I bought three of those for about $12 each: https://goo.gl/HYrQ67

Then I daisy-chained them together, made some guides with cable binders and mounted the thing close to the ceiling, so the cables would not be a trip hazard. The cable is long enough to cover the whole virtual room without causing any drag whatsoever (apart from the weight of the cable).

I liked the idead of folding the elements neatly into a small package, but in practice I just leave the thing extended. With that in mind, a broomstick on a swivel mount (check your local hardware store) would be more cost effective.

• ThexDopexPopeThexDopexPope Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited July 2
    This is my setup.  It cost me about $240 in materials.  That being said - if I buy everything in bulk I could create kits to sell for about $200.  If I put some kits together would anyone be interested in buying something like this?  The thick cable is a 12' custom sleeved, powered HDMI / USB 3.0.  The cable is on a retractable leash and the pulleys give excellent lateral movement.  The cable can easily be taken down if you want to put it away.  (In some of the pix you can see a number of cables on the ceiling and some where its 1 thick one.  The kits would come with the nice thick custom sleeved cable, I can make different colors too.)
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,904 Valuable Player
    ....or a TPCAST! :smiley:
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • ThexDopexPopeThexDopexPope Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    TPCast if you want reduced FOV, reduced image quality, potential for tracking issues, mic issues, signal interference because of such high frequencies.  I love my setup.  I can walk anywhere in my room with close to no resistance at all and rotate freely in 360 degrees.  Whip my headset off and drop it for a minute to go piss and the HMD floats about 10in above the floor and it hangs on my wall with cables out of the way.  IMO money much better spent on a good cable management system that tech that isn't developed enough with a company who is known for terrible customer service.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,904 Valuable Player
    TPCast if you want reduced FOV, reduced image quality, potential for tracking issues, mic issues, signal interference because of such high frequencies.  I love my setup.  I can walk anywhere in my room with close to no resistance at all and rotate freely in 360 degrees.  Whip my headset off and drop it for a minute to go piss and the HMD floats about 10in above the floor and it hangs on my wall with cables out of the way.  IMO money much better spent on a good cable management system that tech that isn't developed enough with a company who is known for terrible customer service.
    Reduced image quality? Rubbish!  Mic issues? Never had any!
    5ghz wifi interference is a thing though - you need to find a channel that isn't busy, and place your router well.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor