cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medium Crash on Start... Suggestions?

Stickjock
Explorer
Hey everyone... just getting into the Rift family here and loving it... Medium however is giving me fits... here's what I'm getting when attempting to start it (from the window app and from Home):

Sorry, something went wrong. Please try again later. (OVR75318303)

If this issue continues, please visit Oculus Support to get help.

Package oculus-oculus-medium-retail (ready) Failed to launch app. (1971014)

Have uninstalled, reinstalled about a dozen times now... GPU drivers are up to date... I don't have anything running like MSI Afterburner or the like... only thing that WAS running was my Nvidia Shadowplay but even get the error when I turn Shadowplay off... 

Suggestions or ideas??

Thanks in advance!

49 REPLIES 49

cybercyrus90
Adventurer
Medium Log

cybercyrus90
Adventurer
Also Im a bit curious(and might be probably asking in the wrong place), but why Isnt there a change game directory setting inside the oculus runtime? Just seems a bit weird having to reinstall the entire thing... 

JuliusBOSS
Explorer
@cybercyrus90 I feel your pain. :neutral:

ObbyBullet
Honored Guest
[SOLVED: see bottom] 

I have the same problem. I bought a new computer a month ago to start with VR (an Alienware Aurora). Rift came in 2 days ago. First Medium didn't install because it was blocked by firewall (looking to disable Windows Defender completely because that's all I had at the time). After install, it crashes along with Bigscreen Beta, Quill, Discovery VR, Google Earth VR and others.

I didn't look very far but I only looked for the Medium and Quill error logs (attached). Both show it's an OpenGL problem. Anyone have recommendations? I'm not very well versed in these things.

My PC has only one graphics card (I remember reading that's been an issue in the past). 

Edit: I have Kaspersky Free running which doesn't handle firewalls so Windows Defender is handling that. As many people know, there isn't a way to turn off WD outside of changing the local registry, and I would prefer to stay out of that. I check my firewall rules and only Bigscreen and Oculus are listed as allowed in inbound (no outbound rules). I also checked with NVIDIA and Dell and NVIDIA had some driver updates so I installed them.

None of the above has helped. Nothing seems to work and I don't know why. 

SOLVED:
Kept trying different things, and I ended up right clicking the desktop and going to NVIDIA controls. It told me that my display wasn't connected to an NVIDIA GPU, which led me to maybe my Intel Driver was corrupted. In the end I switch my display to a different port (display port bunched with the HDMI port, rather than an off-shoot) and it ended up working. Everything about when I purchased the computer showed that I only have 1 graphics card, is that incorrect? Does the fact that using a different set of port make this happen?

Stickjock
Explorer
Still unable to get mine to run no matter what... just the "Medium has crashed" error box with nothing else...

I WILL chalk it up to my inferior CPU... at least that's what I'm telling myself for the time being... new MOBO, Ryzen CPU, DDR4 RAM on the way.  Once all that comes in by next week will get it assembled and everything reinstalled and see what the outcome is...

p.s. been needing to upgrade for a while now anyhow... CPU has been a major bottleneck in my system for too long, hoping the new cpu coupled with my GTX 1060 gives me more luck with Medium and other VR apps in general.

MattHickman
Rising Star
Sorry we couldn't figure it out for you @Stickjock we are reproducing a varient of this here now so hopefully we can root it out and get it fixed in the next update. Thanks for the help tracking it down, good luck with the upgrade! 

Stickjock
Explorer
No worries @MattHickman  ..I had to "fudge" my install anyhow seeing as my poor old Athlon II x4 650 doesn't support SSE4.2... so again, I'm going to blame it on that... everything I've ran with the exception of Medium "seems" to run OK... just know they all COULD run much better and at a higher quality...

Will report back next week once the new build is done... 

btw... as someone who started with PONG... yeah, this VR is A. Maze. Ing... 

NobleMario
Honored Guest
I've got the same issue. All drivers are updated and I'm on App Version 1.17.0.424527.  I don't have a /Oculus/Medium directory either.  The app crashes before that is created, apparently.

MattHickman
Rising Star
Sorry to hear that Darren. We're trying to figure out why this is happening and we're moving logging sooner in the boot sequence to get some more info.

Are you able to run Quill and other apps normally like the other users? Have you disabled all MSI related add ons? No virus scan, malware or anything like that running? No GPU tuners like Riva tuner going?

NobleMario
Honored Guest
Quill does work.  I have AVAST Pro and disabling it does not correct the issue.  I have not installed any GPU software outside of the nvidia drivers and control panel.