New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Third Party Apps and Rift 1.17 Update

Comments

• Stumpy2101Stumpy2101 Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    mane43 said:
    Nibre said:
    @cybereality he's probably referring to this;

Steam sometimes does this with apps that are launched with command-line options from outside of Steam itself, as a pseudo security check. It can be kinda random with when it decides to throw up this alert, it never seems to be consistent.

Sometimes if it's a command-line arg that the Developers set themselves in the Steam App settings (like 'Launch with Oculus VR'), it lets it through because it's a normal command (I guess). Other times, it will freak out, and not launch the game until you hit OK (which you can't do in VR). Literally changes all the time with Steam, restart to restart, update to update. It won't even put the alert window into focus, you have to click on Steam to bring it up.

You can sometimes get around it with;
    Steam.exe -applaunch [app id here] -more -start -commands -here
    Until it suddenly decides that also no longer works, and the alert starts happening again. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Steam does not currently offer a way to disable this warning, and I could see it being a large problem for this release going public. Hopefully it can be resolved before then.

this is the issue I am having and right about not i'm become very pissed with steam I try to never buy my vr games on steam I only have Serious Sam vr there cause they're not on home was so excited thinking I could skip steam all together for vr till I got that message does anyone know of a work around I already have steamvr uninstall cause I use +vrapi oculus in my launch command.
    I was getting the "Allow game launch?" Steam popup on both Euro Truck Simulator and American Truck Simulator yesterday but after a Steam and PC reboot they both went away and now ETS2 and ATS start normally.
    Not entirely sure if that helps you or if that is what your issue is cause its difficult for me to decipher your text when it has no punctuation. Punctuation helps. :)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,775 Valuable Player
    In regards to my DCS.exe shortcut in Oculus Home not working properly ( only opens to the DCS Hangar, no game UI or sound), the below was posted by one of the members of the DCS Testing Team:

DCS Launching w/ the hanger Scene and no UI is a Result of an Illegal Flag in the Launch Command.

ie in your Desktop ShortCut, Change your Target to :
    "...../Eagle Dynamics/DCS World/Bin/DCS.EXE" -ADDED_ILLEGAL_FLAG_TEST

and you'll get the same thing, it's how I recorded my Hanger Scene Video a while back w/ no UI

Oculus is Adding a Parameter at the End of the EXE String that the DCS EXE does not Recognize.

Until Oculus Fixes the String Generation to not add random Flags to the Execution Path String, this problem wont go away.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • Mane_VrMane_Vr Posts: 46
    Brain Burst
    mane43 said:
    Nibre said:

Steam sometimes does this with apps that are launched with command-line options from outside of Steam itself, as a pseudo security check. It can be kinda random with when it decides to throw up this alert, it never seems to be consistent.

Sometimes if it's a command-line arg that the Developers set themselves in the Steam App settings (like 'Launch with Oculus VR'), it lets it through because it's a normal command (I guess). Other times, it will freak out, and not launch the game until you hit OK (which you can't do in VR). Literally changes all the time with Steam, restart to restart, update to update. It won't even put the alert window into focus, you have to click on Steam to bring it up.

Until it suddenly decides that also no longer works, and the alert starts happening again. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Steam does not currently offer a way to disable this warning, and I could see it being a large problem for this release going public. Hopefully it can be resolved before then.

this is the issue I am having and right about not i'm become very pissed with steam I try to never buy my vr games on steam I only have Serious Sam vr there cause they're not on home was so excited thinking I could skip steam all together for vr till I got that message does anyone know of a work around I already have steamvr uninstall cause I use +vrapi oculus in my launch command.
    I was getting the "Allow game launch?" Steam popup on both Euro Truck Simulator and American Truck Simulator yesterday but after a Steam and PC reboot they both went away and now ETS2 and ATS start normally.
    Not entirely sure if that helps you or if that is what your issue is cause its difficult for me to decipher your text when it has no punctuation. Punctuation helps. :)

I have tried to reboot a few time with no changes. I still get a message telling me the game is trying to load with "+vrapi oculus". u gave up I only have the serious sam vr on steam so I don't mind it, since I haven't played it much. I will be limiting the vr games I get on steam it would have to be something not on home and something I want badly enough to put up with loading up steam to get to
  • Mane_VrMane_Vr Posts: 46
    Brain Burst
    mane43 said:
    Nibre said:

I have tried to reboot a few time with no changes. I still get a message telling me the game is trying to load with "+vrapi oculus". u gave up I only have the serious sam vr on steam so I don't mind it, since I haven't played it much. I will be limiting the vr games I get on steam it would have to be something not on home and something I want badly enough to put up with loading up steam to get to
  • Mace404Mace404 Posts: 208
    Nexus 6
    Brain Burst
    Mace404 said:
    Thank you kind sir.
  • m3gatronm3gatron Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited August 2017
    Not being able to re-add a app to the oculus home once it has been removed is silly and should be resolved. 

It seems, when you add a steam game that has a oculus native version, once it's added to the oculus home, when you run it from oculus home, it runs the non oculus native version. This happened with Alice VR, which everytime, tries to run the vive version. and I believe it is what happened with Rez (and for whatever reason 2 icons for Rez popped up). Need to make it that, if there is a oculus native version of the third party app, that it opens that version instead of the steam/vive version, otherwise this feature is useless.
  • Sax-a-boomSax-a-boom Posts: 731
    3Jane
    m3gatron said:
    Not being able to re-add a app to the oculus home once it has been removed is silly and should be resolved. 

It seems, when you add a steam game that has a oculus native version, once it's added to the oculus home, when you run it from oculus home, it runs the non oculus native version. This happened with Alice VR, which everytime, tries to run the vive version. and I believe it is what happened with Rez (and for whatever reason 2 icons for Rez popped up). Need to make it that, if there is a oculus native version of the third party app, that it opens that version instead of the steam/vive version, otherwise this feature is useless.
    I might be misunderstanding you, but if you haven't bought the Oculus version of an app, then it is going to open up the Steam version. Developers are not obliged to give you access to their app across different platforms.
  • t_kleint_klein Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi cybereality,

this thread is exactly what i searched for... but ... to be clear with your Point 2 let me ask to be sure.

Yesterday I deleted the Steam version of Elite Dangerous from Oculus Home, because it started always without the HORIZONS DLC. Is it true that there is no way to bring it back!?

Thanx in advance and kind regards.
    Thomas 
    NerveGear
    edited August 2017
    m3gatron said:

I might be misunderstanding you, but if you haven't bought the Oculus version of an app, then it is going to open up the Steam version. Developers are not obliged to give you access to their app across different platforms.

you are misunderstanding me. because there are games that offer vive versions and oculus native versions of their game on steam.

http://i.imgur.com/NFdaWgc.jpg

For example....the Solus project. Another example, Rez. Another example, Alice VR. When you add Alice VR to Oculus home, Whenever you try to open it from Oculus home, It keeps trying to open the default Vive version instead of the Oculus version, thus making the game unplayable. So in order to play it, still gotta go into steam VR then open it as it opens correctly that way. Same goes for Rez and Solus project
    NerveGear
    m3gatron said:

you are misunderstanding me. There are quite a few games where you have a steamvr/vive version and then a oculus native version....which you can choose to open. When you add the game into oculus home, Oculus home only tries to open the steam/vive version instead of the native oculus version which causes a problem of the app not opening, you having to take the headset off to click "ok" to open the app, or the app opening then crashing due to it being the vive version.

http://i.imgur.com/NFdaWgc.jpg

as you can see you have the option of opening either for the examples of Rez, solus project and Alice.

But as I said, Oculus home is defaulting to the steam/vive version, for in the case of AliceVR, the game won't even work at all.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,931 Volunteer Moderator
    I'm having problems with audio in some SteamVR apps launched from the Oculus app. I bought GORN today, but if I launch it from Oculus Home, I don't get any audio.

I have SteamVR set to switch the default playback device to Rift audio when it's active and switch back to my speakers when it closes, which works fine for the most part.

With Gorn, the playback device must be set to Rift prior to launch for the sound to work. Launching the game from a shortcut, or from Steam without SteamVR running, results in no sound in-game.

Even if I manually set the playback device to Rift first, the fact that SteamVR tries to set the playback device (to Rift) when it launches simultaneously with the game messes up the audio.

The only two ways to get audio working in this game seem to be:
    • launch SteamVR, let it switch the playback device, then launch Gorn from SteamVR, or;
    • set SteamVR to not touch the audio settings, and manually switch the default playback device to Rift before launching any SteamVR games from within Oculus Home.

i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • The_Furious_ManThe_Furious_Man Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    I've got a couple of issues.
    First, when I start Oculus Home, on my desktop view I have to deselect then reselect the filter "include unknown sources" to see Steam games I've added - they always show up in Home in VR though.

Secondly I don't appear to have storeassets folders for 2 games - Pinball FX2 and Trials on Tatooine. Everything else I've added has a folder with the name of the path, but not these two, so they just have black icons.
    Brain Burst
    Have happily used icons from the Reddit repository for custom icons to update the icons of some of my 3rd party apps. But when it comes to the SteamVR one, I cant use the same process as with the others since I cant seem to find a SteamVR related directory for this purpose.
    The process I am referring to is: Replace the auto-generated icons for 3rd party apps in your \Oculus\Software\Software\StoreAssets\ folder with fancy hand made ones.
    Any advice where the Oculus Home Steam VR Library App entity points to so that I can replace the ugly black box (labelled "vrstartup.exe") with the better icon?
    Although this being only cosmetic in nature, any advice and support is much appreciated.
    Resolved thanks to the combined input from @throughtheiris25 and @simon.poluck.
    Find the json file in the manifests folder for steam and copy the name and save on a notepad.

In the software\store assets folder create a new sub folder with name you copied earlier adding "_assets" to the end. copy into there the icons you downloaded from the reddit repository

In the manifests directory find the entry for another steam app that you have successfully imported. There are 2 json files for each except the steam entry. Find one which has the longer file name with "_assets" at the end. Open with notepad and then save as using the name you saved earlier with "_assets" added at the end.

Edit that new file and half way down there is a line "canonicalName" - replace the text there with your copied text adding "_assets"

When done reboot.

Sharing this with anyone that seeks to do the same.
    Careful about doing everything according to the above. I missed one crucial thing when attempting my first try: "In the sotware\store assets folder create a new sub folder with name you copied earlier adding "_assets" to the end"
  • The_Furious_ManThe_Furious_Man Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Have happily used icons from the Reddit repository for custom icons to update the icons of some of my 3rd party apps. But when it comes to the SteamVR one, I cant use the same process as with the others since I cant seem to find a SteamVR related directory for this purpose.
    The process I am referring to is: Replace the auto-generated icons for 3rd party apps in your \Oculus\Software\Software\StoreAssets\ folder with fancy hand made ones.
    Any advice where the Oculus Home Steam VR Library App entity points to so that I can replace the ugly black box (labelled "vrstartup.exe") with the better icon?
    Although this being only cosmetic in nature, any advice and support is much appreciated.
    Resolved thanks to the combined input from @throughtheiris25 and @simon.poluck.
    Find the json file in the manifests folder for steam and copy the name and save on a notepad.

In the software\store assets folder create a new sub folder with name you copied earlier adding "_assets" to the end. copy into there the icons you downloaded from the reddit repository

In the manifests directory find the entry for another steam app that you have successfully imported. There are 2 json files for each except the steam entry. Find one which has the longer file name with "_assets" at the end. Open with notepad and then save as using the name you saved earlier with "_assets" added at the end.

Edit that new file and half way down there is a line "canonicalName" - replace the text there with your copied text adding "_assets"

When done reboot.

Sharing this with anyone that seeks to do the same.
    Careful about doing everything according to the above. I missed one crucial thing when attempting my first try: "In the sotware\store assets folder create a new sub folder with name you copied earlier adding "_assets" to the end"
    Awesome, thanks guys, solved my blank icons issue
  • Sparkymarky68Sparkymarky68 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Is it possible to add Iracing that is not from steam to OH
  • FolkSongFolkSong Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    m3gatron said:
    It seems, when you add a steam game that has a oculus native version, once it's added to the oculus home, when you run it from oculus home, it runs the non oculus native version...
    To fix this, you need to figure out the launch parameters that will launch the game directly into Oculus mode, then add these in the Steam properties for a game. For a few games there are no launch parameters so it's a bit more complicated, but there's a workaround here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6sqtv2/little_of_help_for_people_who_want_to_play_their/
  • AppaloosaHorseAppaloosaHorse Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    edited August 2017
    I was happy to see the icon for CtrlAltStudio Viewer for second life show up in my Library, this is a step forward. Good Work, Oculus!
  • OculusmattOculusmatt Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    edited August 2017
    The Future of VR and it's Sucess WIll Always Be Like Any Other Industry In this World, To be Able to Include All Games together Maybe not on the same platform but with the Same Gameplay and Every developer will profit from we are not talking about Console Now (PSVR is the Exception). But Every Game on PC Should all been Supported by the Oculus or the Vive. Because VR is basicly a Screen and a way of tracking your Position So they Should not have limitation on playing them on the Rift or The Vive. It's Like Saying ok Man you got a LG Branded Monitor Well Then we are Samsung Then your game wont Run on our Screen lol thats not the Way to Go.

• DonkyBoYDonkyBoY Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist
    @Oculusmatt I have to agree if we could all just get along things would undoubtedly be better for all.
    Oculus CV1 room scale with 3 tracker's
    i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz with delid and Liquid metal ultra +Corsair H110i / MSI GTX1080Ti Sea Hawk / 32GB DDR3 @2400Mhz
    (All rads running EK Furious Vardar F4 / F5 fans)
    Sandisk Extreme for OS and Kingston SSD Now for games
    Steam = http://steamcommunity.com/id/xgsdonkyboy
    TS3 server = xgs.ts3.nz
  • baggygbaggyg Posts: 176
    Art3mis
    Is it possible to add Iracing that is not from steam to OH
    Last time I played (admittedly a year or so back) I-Racing is still launched from their web browser. There is no in HMD view equivalent of this. If there is no way around this step than it would be a little pointless to launch it from OH. Apologies if things have changed. 
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 507
    Neo
    UsaRubber said:
    Uninstall Antivirus completely - then try. These are the same issues i have had - strange behaviour and bios loops. 
    That shouldn't be an issue, like I stated it was working flawlessly before with exactly the same setup, the only change made was oculus update. I don't use antivirus on this computer. It's strictly for gaming. My gpu literally wont boost past 300mhz with the rift plugged in.

Update: Uninstalled Rift drivers entirely. When trying to instal, finishes download then Says RESTART, encountered an error. I''m amazed at how seamless this whole experience was until it came crashing down within a 12 hour period, Quite amazing actually. Can't even download the drivers anymore lol. 
    Cool If you don't run Antivirus then great :)  when you say " That shouldn't be an issue " It was my issue for 15 days of HELL :neutral: That was the same as everything was running just fine then Insanity. Now my machine has zero Antivirus. Hope you sort it out Best of Luck ! 
  • NiseiNisei Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    The Future of VR and it's Sucess WIll Always Be Like Any Other Industry In this World, To be Able to Include All Games together Maybe not on the same platform but with the Same Gameplay and Every developer will profit from we are not talking about Console Now (PSVR is the Exception). But Every Game on PC Should all been Supported by the Oculus or the Vive. Because VR is basicly a Screen and a way of tracking your Position So they Should not have limitation on playing them on the Rift or The Vive. It's Like Saying ok Man you got a LG Branded Monitor Well Then we are Samsung Then your game wont Run on our Screen lol thats not the Way to Go.
    What's with all the weird capitals??? You seem to assign them randomly for no reason...
    NerveGear
    FolkSong said:
    m3gatron said:
    It seems, when you add a steam game that has a oculus native version, once it's added to the oculus home, when you run it from oculus home, it runs the non oculus native version...
    To fix this, you need to figure out the launch parameters that will launch the game directly into Oculus mode, then add these in the Steam properties for a game. For a few games there are no launch parameters so it's a bit more complicated, but there's a workaround here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6sqtv2/little_of_help_for_people_who_want_to_play_their/
    but I don't even know what the launch parameters are to make a game launch in oculus mode. 
  • tsowardtsoward Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    How would one go about setting Kingspray to launch in Oculus mode? Currently loads Steam first causing issues with the -waitformonitor parameter popping up
  • seansedseansed Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Is there a way to manually add a 3rd party app to show up under my Oculus library? I can run a game by manually opening the shortcut on my desktop but not all my 3rd party games will get auto added to the Oculus library. I've tried opening them up via SteamVR but that doesn't result in them auto adding to the library either.
  • MrGhostbonesMrGhostbones Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    edited August 2017
    Could someone please explain to me exactly I need to do regarding renaming my third party apps?
    I have followed Syndroid post (name: "C:\Program Files\Oculus\Software\Manifests" , open the .json file and look for "displayName":) So am guessing that I just replace the "displayname" with whatever the app is called, but when I do this, no name is visible when I go into the Oculus rift library in VR. even after I restart the store or my pc. Could someone please let me know if I am doing the right thing? Thanks very much.
  • Furnace_InfernoFurnace_Inferno Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I've added custom pictures but it seems rather sporadic as to whether they work or not. My SteamVR ones work perfectly but for some odd reason the Assetto Corsa one works on the desktop picture but not the one in Oculus Home but they all worked with the default images it added before and the Lucky's Tale VR which got the images automatically is the opposite, works in Home but not on desktop?!

Dirt Rally and PCars which added the pictures also work fine so not really sure what the issue is as to why some work and others not.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,050 Valuable Player
    edited September 2017
    Accidentally removed an app from the library only to just find out that you cannot readd it.  WTH?!?!?!

No offense but that is incredibly stupid to not be able to readd a app to the library.  Whoever thought of that idea needs a good swift kick.  LOL!!!
  • john.zigmontjohn.zigmont Posts: 116
    Art3mis
    Steam shortcuts break with 1.17 update and 1.18.