cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas: Share Trailers & view active OR kickstarter campaigns

Raven
Protege
I wanted to throw this out there. I started thinking about upcoming games still in pre-production. Currently, the forums work okay for posting something like Trailers for projects we're working on, or to announce crowdfunding campaigns.

But they're perhaps harder for people to find than they could be. Like, for example, if they could be found on Oculus Share. Wouldn't it be awesome if there was a "Featured Trailers" section to keep track of new developments? And possibly an "Active Crowdfunding Campaigns" overview dedicated to Rift projects? I for one would appreciate a place like that to find unreleased, but interesting projects to keep an eye on.

Idea #1 Share Trailers
There is a way to achieve this with minimal effort on Oculus' part—using Youtube as main content manager. I imagine it could be as simple as creating playlists on Oculus' main YT channel (playlists for software categories, matching the genres offered on Share).

These lists could then be embedded on a subpage on Share. I'm thinking that if they showed categorized trailer playlists, then it wouldn't need much more than additional "Most popular this week" and "Most Recent" lists to be a great addition to Share and a valuable community venue for VR software discovery.

Devs would upload their trailer to their own YT channel as they already do. The Oculus team would only need to add those they find worthy to a YT playlist — in turn it'd automatically pop up on Share Trailers page.

Idea #2 Find Active Crowdfunding Campaigns
Another idea for Share is a page that displays "Active Crowdfunding Compaigns" for Oculus Rift games. A page showing embedded information panels about any active Rift-related kickstarter campaigns.

I'm sure that it'd be both of interest to consumers looking for Rift projects to fund, as well as a PR boost for the developers running the campaigns.

Anyway, just ideas that I thought at least worth sharing with you guys. And I suppose these could just as well be hosted on OculusVR.com, but it feels like a perfect fit for Share's goals and spirit of discovery. What do you think?
7 REPLIES 7

candiedbug
Honored Guest
I like these ideas. +1

cybereality
Grand Champion
Cool. I will see what the guys think about this.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Raven
Protege

subversed
Honored Guest
Trailers -

I agree with the trailers, but keep in mind that a developer, or company life-cycle might include several game titles. How this might cause extra work for the Oculus Share is:

1) Multiple games and applications require several fields to add, modify, delete, etc
2) If #1, a full profile and sub-section would be the only user friendly approach - lots of extra programming
3) How long will a video stay applicable, and who removes it when(if) a project is complete?
4)...
5)...

Basically it comes down to who will moderate and censor, and how many can a developer have up at a time.

Good idea, lots of extra work!

Kickstarter -

I can't really explain why, but adding this just reminds me of what websites did for search engine optimization.

"Hey, you and I have a similar service in a similar industry. You put my link on your site and I will do the same for yours. Search engines will love us for it."

Kickstarter already does a great job at bringing attention to itself. I feel advertising should remain with kickstarter, not Oculus.

Just my thoughts on it.

vanfanel
Heroic Explorer
"subversed" wrote:

Kickstarter -

I can't really explain why, but adding this just reminds me of what websites did for search engine optimization.

"Hey, you and I have a similar service in a similar industry. You put my link on your site and I will do the same for yours. Search engines will love us for it."

Kickstarter already does a great job at bringing attention to itself. I feel advertising should remain with kickstarter, not Oculus.

Just my thoughts on it.

Actually kickstarter does a poor job of keeping track of certain projects. If a project does not reach it's goal it's virtually impossible to find even if the developers continue to work/finish the project. These failed kickstarter pages are also exempt from google search engines so it's incredibly difficult to find unless you know the actual URLs or the developers have other pages to find that info. It's search engine also does a poor job of finding oculus rift related projects. Just do a search for oculus and you'll find just a couple of projects when there are actually quite a few.

HAWKEYE481
Honored Guest
Great idea sounds a bit like X-factor but for games/projects, at least you'd know about progress as well 😄
"Some people say VR can take you anywhere in the world, I say VR can take you anywhere in your imagination" Intelligent-Visuals http://www.ivvr.uk http://www.intelligent-visuals.com https://www.facebook.com/intelligentvisuals

NonDevEnthusias
Honored Guest
my boss said this would be a great way to sell houses to people abroad. would open up a lot of new possibility's there.

I had an idea for a game called "war helm",... that puts u in the role of a futuristic solder with a unique mask that has mounted plasma/laser/Vulcan cannons either side,... ide love to see this game come to life its all I think about at work lol...

ide like to see it played on rails like "dumpy goes elephants" but with 2 path choices transitioning the levels,...
(the "outrun" pyramid style level progression should have been used in more games I've always thought).

I mean though,... imagine seeing 3D laser cannons on the side of your head,...
I suppose that's kind of what hawken feels like.
it would be great if the mouse was not used to turn but the buttons left on so you could hold it
this saves fumbling around for buttons on your keyboard.

i've drawn some illustrations I wish I could post them.
I love character creation and background design I wanted to include a man with a lions head in an amazingly expensive suit. and monsters that tower over you.

and my final thought is that if VR is as sickening as people say it is,... (ive spent hours in one with 15mins breaks every hour and haven't felt sick or dizzy at all) so I can only say this from what ive seen.
but I think maybe a stopwatch in the top left of your view that at 30mins flashes and says "TIME FOR A BREAK" and counts down 5mins while obstructing the view,... a little harsh forcing ppl to stop playing but it would please a lot of worried minds.

would love to hear what you all think about this.

ps. Bring "kingpin" to the rift!!!!