cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summer rift sale great but....

inovator
Consultant
The permanent price reduction after summer was great. But why not offer a headset without the 2 senor or touch controls so it can be cheaper still. Especially for the people who needed to buy another rift like me. Now I'm stuck with a pair of touch controls & 2 sensors(already have 3) I don't need. Ahhhhh!
Imagine if bad luck  makes it that I need a 3rd rift. Like let's say my dog eats this one. Come on oculus be reasonable. You can't replace the lenses so give us a stand alone rift at a great price. 
36 REPLIES 36

Richooal
Consultant

Sharpfish said:

no it's not. don't change the target after you've fired the shot.

I read it exactly the same way as @Hiro_Protag0nist which is why I also agreed.
Nobody changed the target here. The original poster was clearly talking about being able to replace parts.

You should re-read the whole post. At the end he says..........

"Come on oculus be reasonable. You can't replace the lenses so give us a stand alone rift at a great price. "

If that's not asking for spare replacement, I don't know what is.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Full quote:
But why not offer a headset without the 2 senor or touch controls so it
can be cheaper still. Especially for the people who needed to buy
another rift like me.

This is clearly a conversation about offering a stand-alone Rift to everyone, whether you are a current Rift owner or not. The "spare parts" aspect is an example of a side benefit; but spare parts was not the central theme nor primary concern of the main issue.

Richooal
Consultant

Zenbane said:

Full quote:
another rift like me.

This is clearly a conversation about offering a stand-alone Rift to everyone, whether you are a current Rift owner or not. The "spare parts" aspect is an example of a side benefit; but spare parts was not the central theme nor primary concern of the main issue.

I can see how you read it the way you do. It's ambiguous.

For me, I see it as him pleading his case. He's in a situation where he doesn't need all the components of the bundle, but has to pay full bundle price and ends up with parts he can't use. This could be a problem for a lot of Rift owners down the track.
I did like the suggestion about registered owners being able to buy components separately though.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Cpt_Custard
Adventurer
Double post  😄 that's what I get for using mobile on forums. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Ah well, if saving the Earth is a concern then you really shouldn't be buying luxury electronic products. VR headsets are entertainment, not a necessity. When you decide to purchase something that "harms the Earth" purely for the sake of your own amusement (e.g. playing video games), then being environmentally friendly was obviously not a concern.

HiThere_
Superstar
The idea is to move away from the Xbox gamepad, so the CV1 development stops being split between Xbox and Touch. With gamepad titles still supported through using Touch in their gamepad mode.

And not to add a new category of players that have neither Xbox nor Touch.

GrumpySoldier
Protege
I agree with Sharpfish.

As he said, selling the headset alone to new customers is a bad idea.

Although given the rapid rise in the amount of users and the apparent fragility of the lenses, Oculus will have to do something about spares or they'll be swamped with warranty claims/repairs in the near future.

And don't forget that it's Consumer Version 1. It's an impressive piece of hardware but, the DK's asides, it's the first version so it's bound to have a few flaws.

I just hope the solution doesn't come in the form of the CV2...now completely modular for ease of cleaning and maintenance!!!   🙂

That said, if you buy multiple Rift bundles, there'll be no shortage of buyers for any sensors/controllers you don't want.

Syrellaris
Rising Star

Zenbane said:

Full quote:
another rift like me.

I disagree. Tell me what good does it do, to purchase a whole new bundle when all you need is to have your headset replaced? Yes, I could sell the spare sensors or the spare controllers, but I don't want to go through that hassle. I just want to be able to pick up the headset so I can continue with what I already had.

For new users, selling the bundle is the most beneficial however for those who already own it, a cheaper stand alone headset(no Sensors, or touch) is the better sale. Because they already own the other parts. Most people are not looking for extra parts.

It's kind of like saying "well this rubber in your car engine is broken, but we don't sell stand alone parts. Your best bet would be to purchase an entire new car and sell the left over parts you don't use".

In simpleterms, the Oculus store should offer the bundle, a stand alone headset, stand alone Sensors and stand alone touch controllers and not just the bundle.

inovator
Consultant
Exactly

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:

Full quote:
another rift like me.

I disagree. Tell me what good does it do, to purchase a whole new bundle when all you need is to have your headset replaced?

You are not understanding what I typed.

I never suggested that someone buy a whole new bundle when all they need is a headset replaced.