cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Steam VR?

xavier4or
Explorer
Newbie question here - I see several discussion wrt Steam VR games - but trying to figure out what are the advantages?  Are there unique VR games available via Steam that you can't get via Oculus store?

I checked a few of the popular ones and they seemed to be listed both in Oculus store and Steam.

Thanks!
59 REPLIES 59

Anonymous
Not applicable
A copy pasta from a post I made on Reddit:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/501420/My_Own_Pet/

Dear Oculus, I'm VERY disappointed with the quality of games available on the Oculus Store. The games available on Steam are MUCH better, anyone saying any different is seven kinds of insane. Take 'My Own Pet' as a prime example, you need to stop bringing us crappy, low quality games such as Robo Recall and Lone Echo and provide us with more gems like 'My Own Pet'. THAT is what quality is all about, whoever does your curating for the Oculus Store needs to be sacked ASAP.

The Snowdog
Ward 10
The Loony Bin
London
England.

PS You also REALLY need to stop producing these Touch controllers and 'borrow' the design of the Vive controllers because they're MILES better.

😄 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

A copy pasta from a post I made

mmm... pasta

vannagirl
Consultant
c0273q19kw17.jpg
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

HeVeNy
Protege

CrashFu said:

Well, unlike Oculus, Steam doesn't do any kind of curation / quality-testing / bother to see if a program even works before they allow it to be sold on Steam nowadays, so they have a lot of stuff that just isn't good enough to make it onto OH (or other game platforms).

So if you're really eager to play some half-assed college-kid projects that were rushed to completion to rip-off better games, then sure, check out Steam VR.  But anything on there that's actually worth playing is either already on Oculus, or soon will be.

Too bad that Climbey is not one of them though

wanoennogs
Heroic Explorer

xavier4or said:

Newbie question here - I see several discussion wrt Steam VR games - but trying to figure out what are the advantages?  Are there unique VR games available via Steam that you can't get via Oculus store?

I checked a few of the popular ones and they seemed to be listed both in Oculus store and Steam.

Thanks!

If you buy a game on steam you can play it with other headsets. If you bought a vive you can still play the game.

If you buy it from Oculus you can only use the game with a rift. 

It may be that when consumer version 2 of the VR headsets come out you may not buy one from Occulus.  If you do that your steam games will still work but your Occulus ones wil not. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

xavier4or said:

Thanks!

If you buy a game on steam you can play it with other headsets. If you bought a vive you can still play the game.

If you buy it from Oculus you can only use the game with a rift. 

It may be that when consumer version 2 of the VR headsets come out you may not buy one from Occulus.  If you do that your steam games will still work but your Occulus ones wil not. 

You've been able to play Oculus Store games with a Vive for quite some time now using Revive. 🙂

Not that anyone with any sense would want to go anywhere near shovelware like Robo Recall and Lone Echo when there are top quality AAA games like My Own Pet available to buy on Steam. B)

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Come on now, you should at least compare to the best OH has, solitaire VR! It's what everyone shelled out $400+ to play! All those nonsense games like Robo Recall from OH and Dead Effect 2 VR on Steam are just fluff that never should have been released.

On a more serious note, I'm very glad I bought Overkill VR on steam rather than here (was on sale, so cheaper). Holy crap is that game terrible. Don't even get me started on all the ways it sucks. It's the first game I ever bothered for a refund with. Hence why I'm glad I got it from steam.

That right there is a pretty good reason for SteamVR I suppose in addition to greater variety of games (admittedly many of them terrible, but not all). Refund policy at steam is first rate. It took less than 24 hours. On OH, that particularly bad game is $7 more expensive and I don't think I could have gotten a refund.

Anonymous
Not applicable
You could have if you live in the UK and had played it for under 2 hours.

As much as I hate living in this shithole of a country there are 2 things that are fantastic about living here. 1) Consumer protection and 2) The National Health Service.  😄

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
I live in the USA, so we have neither :(.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd LOVE to live in the States but I'd certainly miss those two things about the UK.