cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doom VFR

OldGamerGitt
Explorer
Hi Guys, in view of your (Oculus) ongoing legal dispute with Zenimax:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/05/16/zenimax-gear-vr-oculus-rift-lawsuit/

I think it is fairly safe to say that the Doom VFR game may not be appearing in your store anytime soon.
My question is: if it was bought via a third party store, for example the steam store, will the game be playable on the Rift, or is the game totally incompatible?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated, Thanks.
19 REPLIES 19

elboffor
Consultant
If its on steam you can net itll work on the rift.
Even if they drm the headset it will be modded to work within hours
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

BoxDroppingManA
Expert Protege
Worst they can do on SteamVR is try to implement some touchpad specific controls like swiping. The angle that weapons are held might be slightly unintuitive too, because it'll be based on vive controls. That might make it inconvenient, but hardly unplayable.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Given OR represents about half the VR market and VR itself is a fairly niche thing, it would be walking the line of criminality (failure to operate in the interest of share holders) if they didn't also release for OR. They may toe that line, but it would be very strange to hurt themselves so badly over a grudge. That said, I think there is zero chance of it appearing on OH. It will instead be sold by steam and the Vive's store. That way they get the sales from OR users without giving a single cent to Oculus in the process.

ragenrok
Protege
There has only been 1 game so far that outright locked Rift users from using it and that was google earth (They were developing a rift version and didnt want people using the vive version and getting a bad impression). That didn't last long until a "fix" was found and it was up and running for oculus as well, if its on steam its 100% certan it will be playable with your rift within a week.

OldGamerGitt
Explorer

elboffor said:

Hmm, hope so lol. Might just nip over to the steam store and have another look  after all your encouraging comments 😄

nalex66
MVP
MVP

elboffor said:

Hmm, hope so lol. Might just nip over to the steam store and have another look  after all your encouraging comments 😄

The Steam store will only list Oculus Rift compatibility for apps that use the Oculus SDK. Titles that only mention Vive will typically work on Rift as well, but it's through SteamVR's Rift compatibility layer rather than native Oculus support.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

OldGamerGitt
Explorer

elboffor said:

Hmm, hope so matey lol

OldGamerGitt
Explorer

elboffor said:

Hmm, hope so matey lol

OldGamerGitt
Explorer
Hi nalex66, Yes i agree. All i'm bothered about as an ordinary gamer is can i have a giggle playing great games, and Doom VFR will more than likely provide that 😄 lol. The store or marketplace i chose to purchase them should be as irrelevent as two corporations happen to be slugging it out in the courts.

Also i agree with BeastyBaiter, Oculus is sitting pretty with around half of the VR market for now, so why put that in jepardy?