New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus bundle (hmd, 2 sensors, touch) usb connection. Have only two usb3 ports

HiCZoKHiCZoK Posts: 230
Art3mis
Hey guys!

My bundle is on the way and I am wondering if my motherboard is good enough.
I have two usb3.0 etron ports in motherboard and ofcourse a lot of usb2.0 ports.
But it's required to have three usb3.0 ports.

So either one sensor or hmd have to be on usb 2.0

Comments

• vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,007 Valuable Player
    You need the innatech expansion card for more usb 3.0 i am at work but just look in this forum for links
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • FredLCFredLC Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    I thought you only needed one USB 3 for the RIFT and the other connections could be on USB 2. If the sensors are both in USB 2, what do you miss? Do they get slower or something?
  • cleanupdisccleanupdisc Posts: 212
    Nexus 6
    I run my rift on 2 usb 3.0s and my third sensor on usb 2.0. Its fine to run it like that
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,615 Valuable Player
    I run my rift on 2 usb 3.0s and my third sensor on usb 2.0. Its fine to run it like that
    Something doesn't add up :*
    Rift + 2 sensors = 3 USB ports

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• HiCZoKHiCZoK Posts: 230
    Art3mis
    that innatech is not available in Poland.

But maybe I don't need any expansion card? cant I conntect rift to usb2 and two sensors to usb3?
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,712 Valuable Player
    Buy a powered usb hub thats what I did and it works fine.
    WAAAGH!
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,421 Volunteer Moderator
    While usb 3 is better for rift sensors, they work ok with usb 2.
  • steveco99steveco99 Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    Each motherboard USB3.0 connector will support two 3.0 ports.  It sounds like you have at least one of those open - buy a back panel bracket to connect to the MB and you'll have two more ports.

https://www.amazon.com/Foto4easy-Expansion-Bracket-20-pin-Motherboard/dp/B00NJCFM6I

Art3mis
    steveco99 said:
    Each motherboard USB3.0 connector will support two 3.0 ports.  It sounds like you have at least one of those open - buy a back panel bracket to connect to the MB and you'll have two more ports.

https://www.amazon.com/Foto4easy-Expansion-Bracket-20-pin-Motherboard/dp/B00NJCFM6I

It's an old asrock p67 pro3 from 2012... It have only 2 usb3 out the back and no headers.

Why wouldn't random usb3 pci card work ?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    You don't want everything on USB 3.0. It should be split between 3.0 and 2.0, such as Rift and 1 sensor on USB 3.0, and the second (or third) sensor on USB 2.0.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Art3mis
    You don't want everything on USB 3.0. It should be split between 3.0 and 2.0, such as Rift and 1 sensor on USB 3.0, and the second (or third) sensor on USB 2.0.
    yes this sounds reasonable. I will try both combinations.
    I do have usb2 extension card with nothing plugged into it, so whatever gets usb2 port, it should be pretty "clean"
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 824
    3Jane
    Here's your answer in short: You'll be fine.