cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If we don't start to stand up now and speak out against it, it will only get worse.

Mad-A
Honored Guest
The fact that these games are charging 40-50 dollars for games that only last 2-3 hours is insane. If we keep paying for it, it will only continue or get worse. We need to stand as a community and express the displeasure together. I love Oculus, I'm here to support them until the end, but I can't keep buying these games for that much and being done in one dang day!
72 REPLIES 72

Anonymous
Not applicable
What 2 hour games?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I don't buy garbage games only good for a couple hours regardless of price. In my view, any game worth playing is worth spending some time with.

Quantity != Quality

Candy Crush has countless hours of gameplay, but I consider it garbage. Along with Clash of Clans and 99% of the entire mobile gaming industry. I would question the gaming integrity if anyone who thinks that the quality of a game is measured by gameplay hours.

I bought a $400 VR headset

Going back to the core issue, the games on offer that are VR exclusive tend to be those 2 hour games that I wouldn't download for free. And both OH and steam think $25+ is a fair price for them.

Two things:

First, this year-long complaint has always accurately presented the gameplay hours that cause the real issue: 4-6 hours of gameplay. This thread pulls some magic out of a hat with its misrepresenting the truth by claiming "only 2 hours of gameplay." I would challenge anyone to list a $40 VR game that can be completed in a mere 2 hours.

Second, if you have such high standards... then why wouldn't you perform some very basic research before buying a $400 VR headset? Anyone who truly has standards that must be met (as opposed to people that just pretend to have standards) typically performs adequate research before making an investment. If you had done even 10 minutes of research on VR gaming, then you would see that 4-6 hours is incredibly standard ever since the release of both the Rift and Vive in May of 2016.

In fact, gameplay time was significantly shorter (less than 2 hours) with all of the Demo Kit software starting from 2014.

Complaints like this reveal a problem with the consumer, not the product (imo).

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Zenbane, if you're going to quote and comment, at least read the full sentence and take context into account. I very clearly stated that I've been completely satisfied with the Rift for the primary purpose I bought it, playing flight sims.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Zenbane, if you're going to quote and comment, at least read the full sentence and take context into account. I very clearly stated that I've been completely satisfied with the Rift for the primary purpose I bought it, playing flight sims.

This is not a discussion about Flight Sims, and when we look at the things you have said in relation to the discussion:

"So far, I've bought zero games off OH as they are either massively over priced"

"I should point out that I check the new releases on OH almost daily for
something worth getting. The problem is, it just isn't there. "

"the games on offer that are VR exclusive tend to be those 2 hour games that I wouldn't download for free."

Like I said, if you have such high standards then you should have researched gameplay time before buying the Rift. Flight Sims are cool, I enjoy Eve Valkyrie and Elite Dangerous, but Flight Sims alone doesn't justify the full investment that VR requires. Especially because all flight sims end up repetitive and monotonous.

If you can play Flight Sims for hours and hours, and enjoy them so much that you feel $400 for the Rift was worthwhile, then surely you must realize that your tolerance for repetition and monotony prove that "Quality vs Quantity" is purely biased and subjective.

I can think of 2-3 hour experiences in VR that are far more compelling than a mere Flight Sim.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm still waiting to hear about these two hour games that everyone keeps talking about whenever one of these threads pops up. Like I've said earlier 5-6 hours is the AVERAGE play through time for flat games and has been since the Xbox 360 came out in 2005. Why? For the following reasons:

1) Because the budgets of these games escalated when games went HD

2) So that idiots like me testing the things can do a full play through in one working day

3) So that reviewers can review these things quicker

These are also the reasons why the difficulty level of games has sunk like a stone. They want testers to play through the games quicker and they don't want reviewers (who for some strange reason seem to be pants at playing games!) giving it a low score because they struggle to beat the game.

Thane_
Heroic Explorer
Its cheaper in many businesses to simply raise prices and serve the wealthier folks only. You don't have to deal with so much stock, customers, shipping, returns, bugs, you don't need any many working to produce, do maintenance, etc. Awesome. Or it would be, if the poorer/middle folks weren't the ones doing all the fucking work, building our societies, if every single thing we see around us weren't the result of the work of low/middle income worker...

Anyway, not sure if that's exactly whats happening here though. I don't like the idea of sales being the way for the average consumer to be able to purchase games and be an avid VR user. Just charge a fucking fair price and be done with it. But I understand they want to capture the money that's out there among the wealthier folks. Just another annoying side-effect of capitalism: take all you can, give as little as possible, what could possibly go wrong...

Phaserlight
Heroic Explorer
I myself ascribe to the '1$, 1 hour' rule.  Steam has spoiled me. 

Most GVR games are around the 5 dollar mark, though. 

HiCZoK
Protege
Seriously. All this shitty games that were free on dk1 and dk2 are not 15-40$

While games like hellblade are 30$... Making game vr is not really all that more difficult... the sdk's are easily available and game being vr does not explain huge price increase.

But that will end when vr gets more popular

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I am interested in hearing what OVR users feel are the right pricing for the games they are buying. We recently saw a number of VR game developers stating that they are making more money from royalties paid to them from having their game on VR Arcade services, than they were seeing from conventional SteamVR and Home sales.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

falken76
Expert Consultant
I never bought video games with resale value being a factor.  They rarely exceed $50, anyone with a regular job should be able to afford them easily.  Especially if you are someone who has already invested the money into VR to the point that you are looking for software to purchase for it.  The market will determine the value of these games.  If their games don't sell, I'm sure they'll adjust their prices.  I also agree that some people are determining content value based on speed runs which is ridiculous.This is a great time to be a developer before the studios jump in and pump millions of dollars into each title.  I can't stand that so many devs make Wave shooters.  But I just don't buy those games, someone likes them enough that they still sell.  I just read the reviews and that's where I find the problems that are referenced the most often.  I think they should offer Demos though so you could try the games out first, especially without a return policy.  But if in doubt, I just buy a game on steam because they have a return policy.