cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If we don't start to stand up now and speak out against it, it will only get worse.

Mad-A
Honored Guest
The fact that these games are charging 40-50 dollars for games that only last 2-3 hours is insane. If we keep paying for it, it will only continue or get worse. We need to stand as a community and express the displeasure together. I love Oculus, I'm here to support them until the end, but I can't keep buying these games for that much and being done in one dang day!
72 REPLIES 72

Anonymous
Not applicable
Developers now have the option of having trial periods for their games sold in the Oculus Store. No idea how that works though.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
It is clear that it has been a very difficult period for developers that had hoped to make enough revenue out of the VR game scene. The promises amounted to nothing, and the wall of silence regarding how many VR units are in circulation illustrates this difficult situation. 

It is expected that some game publishers will have to go with high prices as the reality dawns that the promises about the market size failed to material. I do not feel its a good business model as the market is fragile and paying over the odds on games with limited game-play (duration or scope), the market could suffer. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable
Any developer expecting to make money by developing and selling a VR game without funding or anyone providing funding to make money out of selling VR games has either no previous experience working in the industry and/or is incredibly naive.

The same thing happens every console generation too when developers start developing first generation console hardware. You see a LOAD of developers going bust during the first year of a console being released WITHOUT FAIL.

Unless they've had the benefit of a money-hat from the platform holder for exclusivity first generation titles, on average at least, don't make money. Developers with any sense are prepared to make a loss on their first new console game title. So why do they do it..? Two reasons:

1) They're HOPING against hope that their game is going to sell a shitload but if that doesn't happen then

2) They're getting their name out there as a developer/publisher that supports new tech which is important for their reputation. It doesn't even matter if they lose money on it as long as they've prepared for it.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh, and nobody has named these multitude of titles on the Oculus Store that cost $40 and have 2 hours worth of game play.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

Any developer expecting to make money by developing and selling a VR game without funding or anyone providing funding to make money out of selling VR games has either no previous experience working in the industry and/or is incredibly naive.

Exactly.

Development studios are making plenty of money through investment funding. If there is someone out there claiming that making revenue with VR software is a struggle... then as you say, they either have zero experience (thus receive zero funding) or they just aren't trying.

snowdog said:

Oh, and nobody has named these multitude of titles on the Oculus Store that cost $40 and have 2 hours worth of game play.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why Ben Affleck?

Should have been Matthew Broderick's teacher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhiCFdWeQfA

B) 

ragenrok
Protege
I agree with the OP, I see Games like Arizona sunshine that offer a good sp and mp options with good gameplay then I see tripwire release a game with half the content for the same price. There are some games/developers that sell for a decent price but there are plenty that need to get their heads out of their asses (much like some of the users on this board).

many of these games are not worth their $30-$40 asking price and I will wait till they drop in price. VR is expensive enough, expecting everyone to drop tons of money on all the top Games is silly. I'm looking forward to Killing floor, once it hits a good 50% off sale or tripwire actually adds some content to justify the price.

for me my price guideline is $1=1 hour of fun for standard 2d games on my pc and PS4. So I I spend $50 on a game I expect to get roughly 50 hours out of it

for vr I expect $1= 30 minutes so if you want to try and peg your 4 hour experience as a "game" that's cool but my wallet won't open till you drop it to $10.

in the end if you your fine with the prices you go spend all you want but I vote with my wallet and don't support unjustified prices.

kzintzi
Trustee
I bought Mages tale - have spent about 5 hours in it so far, and not completed it yet.. I've also missed a couple of the puzzles, so when I replay I'll still have stuff to do.

not unhappy I spent the money I did on it, and if I had an issue in spending $60AU for 5 hours worth of entertainment where I get to be a mage and cast spells at things, I'd have not spent $3000 on a new rig, VR headset and controllers.

sure not every game will give you 100hrs+ like  Elite Dangerous will (Assuming you've got the taste for it like I do), but so what. I'm not 14 and have copious amounts of time on my hands.. I manage to get about 4 hours a week in VR at the moment between family and job so something that doesn't take me 2 months to finish is a good thing.

hell, even taking myself to the movies costs upwards of $30 - if I take the family it's $100.. 
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

Why Ben Affleck?

I knew you wouldn't get any responses, hence "silence," thus "sound of silence," therefore...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtfoRESVir0

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Avoiding those trying to derail an interesting topic, that some find... uncomfortable.

We have seen some interesting examples of heavily funded projects able to charge a lower price, while others have looked for the full AAA pricing.

Possibly, VR could be the first to deploy a "try before you buy" pricing, where games would be given a one minute demo play, before the VR gamer has to stump up the full price?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959