New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Can we please get support for older CPUs?

XMercXMerc Posts: 108
Art3mis
I have two X5690s running that have a factory turbo of 3.73Ghz and 24 threads, performance wise there are no games that can even get close to being too much for these CPUs. They are much more powerful than many of the i5s listed as supported CPUs, yet these still give the "Rift does not meet minimum specifications", only because they are a few years older. This has nothing to do with performance and is kind of frustrating because I know there are many people still running this generation of CPUs due to their price/performance ratio. Please at the X5690 to the supported list..every game plays butter smooth including Lone Echo and the latest games yet i'm annoyed with the minimum spec warning.

Comments

• Stumpy2101Stumpy2101 Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    XMerc said:
    I have two X5690s running that have a factory turbo of 3.73Ghz and 24 threads, performance wise there are no games that can even get close to being too much for these CPUs. They are much more powerful than many of the i5s listed as supported CPUs, yet these still give the "Rift does not meet minimum specifications", only because they are a few years older. This has nothing to do with performance and is kind of frustrating because I know there are many people still running this generation of CPUs due to their price/performance ratio. Please at the X5690 to the supported list..every game plays butter smooth including Lone Echo and the latest games yet i'm annoyed with the minimum spec warning.
    Then get Oculus Tray Tool and enable "Spoof CPU ID on tool start". Poof! Nag screen gone.
  • TehJumpingJawaTehJumpingJawa Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    I wonder if their compatibility checker just runs through a list of processor models, rather than checking instruction set support and performance.
  • XMercXMerc Posts: 108
    Art3mis
    I wonder if their compatibility checker just runs through a list of processor models, rather than checking instruction set support and performance.
    This is exactly what it does, it just has a list of processors that are on the approved list and any that are not will receive the failed to meet minimum specs notification regardless of processor performance. 
  • XMercXMerc Posts: 108
    Art3mis
    XMerc said:
    Then get Oculus Tray Tool and enable "Spoof CPU ID on tool start". Poof! Nag screen gone.
    I'd rather Oculus just add an option to remove this warning just like they do with the health and safety warning at start up.
  • cleanupdisccleanupdisc Posts: 212
    Nexus 6
    Just do what stumpy said and thats that! PERIOD
  • johnnycapsjohnnycaps Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    One of my systems gets the fails the minimum specifications error message every time I start up the Oculus Rift with the following system:

Intel i7 930 2.8Ghz
    nVidia GTX980
    ASUS P6X58D Premium 
    10GB Ram
    2 Oculus Rift Sensors (not 3)

These are the games I have played with the above system and have not had a "poor experience": 

The following are when in the Steam VR environment....
    Blocks
    Arizona Sunshine
    Conductor
    Eternity Warriors VR
    Nature Treks
    Google Earth VR
    Star Trek: Bridge Crew
    Tilt Brush

The following have worked when in the Oculus Rift environment:
    EVEREST VR
    VR Roller Coaster- "Cave Depths"
    Disney Movies VR
    Spider-Man: Homecoming - Virtual
    Lucky's Tale
    Thrills & Chills Roller Coasters
    oculus DREAMDECK

This PC system is circa early 2010 (except the nVidia GTX980 is an upgrade from the GTX480) and to be fair I also use a system from 2016 with the GTX1080 system that is using 3 sensors and there are moments when I notice the GTX1080 system is a bit more responsive.  However I would never describe the old circa 2010 system as giving a "poor experience" and nobody who has tried it has described it as a poor experience.   Everyone has said, "Wow".  And kids have "discussions" as to who is going next.