Zenbane
MVP
MVP
This news just came in...

HTC Vive Now $599, Gets A Permanent $200 Price Cut

all that technology came at a premium price that has, until right now,
remained at $799 for the Vive headset, two motion controllers, and two
base stations for tracking. Other than a few flash sales and minor
discounts it’s been stuck at that price.

The updated package, priced at $599 for everything mentioned above, includes download codes for Richie’s Plank Experience, Everest VR, and Tilt Brush on Steam, as well as a one-month subscription to Viveport. The Viveport service has over 200 apps available, but you can only pick five to get access to over the course of a single month. It’s sort of like selectively renting content.

Interesting news considering it wasn't very long ago that HTC executives explained why a Vive price cut was unnecessary. Those reasons seem to still apply today, giving rise to insight that perhaps HTC feels the pressure from the aggressive Oculus pricing in order to remain viable (and alive) in the high-end VR Market.

From E3 2017:

“we haven’t dropped the core price of the Vive because we think it offers the best room-scale [experience], hands down.”

O’Brien elaborated further on HTC’s perspective on the Vive’s price, saying that there are certainly price-sensitive customers who are looking for the lowest cost option, but there are also ‘value-sensitive customers who are willing to pay more if they feel they are getting better value out of their purchase;’ the latter is where a large portion of VR early-adopters fall, he said.

Sources:

https://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-now-599-gets-permanent-200-price-cut/

https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-explains-vive-price-cost-lowered-cut-discount/

*EDIT*
Latest damaging articles/discussions:

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/552854/#Comment_552854

465 REPLIES 465

Sax-a-boom
Rising Star
Is it just me or does PH's headset look photoshopped on, not to mention the vive box and fake cable?

Also, strike me down with lightening but @Zenbane is bang on with his competition argument. While I want to see some commonality between systems, I don't want everyone jumping into bed with each other. Another tech example, the only time I remember Intel going pedal to the metal was when AMD brought out the Athlon and really challenged them in all segments. Now it's small increments and just to keep the wheels turning. 

It's early days in VR and I want to see bloodied fingernails as everyone tries to climb to the top, not high fives and manicures.

madamluck
Heroic Explorer
I'm not a big gamer and so I'm never paid attention to all that so I don't have a clue. But what you say doesn't surprise me and I believe it.  I just think with the vr so ' new ' and the first of its kind that all petty / nitpicking remarks and arguments need to tone down. It's just how I feel personally, others feel differently I'm sure . I guess I'm just one of those people who's like  - can't we all just get along? Lol 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

madamluck said:

I'm not a big gamer and so I'm never paid attention to all that so I don't have a clue. But what you say doesn't surprise me and I believe it.  I just think with the vr so ' new ' and the first of its kind that all petty / nitpicking remarks and arguments need to tone down. It's just how I feel personally, others feel differently I'm sure . I guess I'm just one of those people who's like  - can't we all just get along? Lol 

Nothing wrong with wanting peace, love, and harmony.

But the tech industry is just as vicious (even outside of gaming and entertainment). It's part of what has kept me in this Industry for 20 years. I'm addicted to the chaos lol ❤️

pyroth309
Visionary

Zenbane said:

madamluck said:

Nothing wrong with wanting peace, love, and harmony.

But the tech industry is just as vicious (even outside of gaming and entertainment). It's part of what has kept me in this Industry for 20 years. I'm addicted to the chaos lol ❤️

Yea pretty much this. Besides, you get the best info about what product to buy from listening to opposing sides ripping the other product apart. It's how I ended up with an Oculus instead of a Vive. At the time public opinion/general consensus was the Vive is so much better and was the only headset worth purchasing but after reading various opinions on both from actual owners/people who used both I figured out that wasn't the case and ended up with the Oculus. I have since used a Vive a few times and I actually owned a PSVR for awhile and yea no regrets with Oculus it's been great and I still love it. My biggest issue is my real life friends don't have one so I'm always pulled back to flat screen gaming land for some multiplayer action.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Nothing uglier than football rivalry brought into tech discussions - but the peanut gallery love to watch this, and there are always a few hot heads to feed the hyperbole! Just keep it calm and keep it civil.  😕
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

kevinw729 said:

Nothing uglier than football rivalry brought into tech discussions - but the peanut gallery love to watch this, and there are always a few hot heads to feed the hyperbole! Just keep it calm and keep it civil.  😕

Your attempts to troll are always welcome. But just try to fight your own battles. The only thing worse than bringing up football in a tech discussion... is starting a fight and then running to the authorities when things don't go your way 😉

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Oh and speaking of Football and Tech,

Yesterdays episode of Ballers on HBO featured Virtual Reality front and center. It will be covered again in the plot in next weeks episode. For those who don't watch the show, it's all about the Football industry.

The marriage of Football and VR is complete  B)

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

"Day after day alone on the hill
The man with the foolish grin
Is keeping perfectly still
But nobody wants to know him
They can see that he's just a fool
And he never seem to notice "

*Lyrics "The Fool on the Hill" - Paul McCartney

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Sax-a-boom
Rising Star

kevinw729 said:

Kevin my good man, straighten the tie on that pinstripe and take a breath. The conversation is calm and civil. The discussion material may not seem civil to you, but what has been talked about is reality. Intel baiting vendors not to take AMD chips is reality. Microsoft subtly saying they wouldn't chase anyone who had an illegal copy of their spreadsheet so they could get traction and ultimately crush Lotus 123 is reality. Same with Explorer v Netscape battle. There's many more in tech. There's many, many more outside of tech. You fight or die. Sometimes there are no ultimate victors, that's the best scenario because they just keep on fighting. The best way to fight is to be better, be on top. If you get rolled over and the opposition takes advantage, you summon up up everything you have and you come back with something better, something they weren't expecting. In tech that means what might have taken 10 years if there was no strong competition takes 5 years. This thread has given many real world analogies of how that has played out, what are you having difficulties with?