I was wrong.

This morning, I had to grab a few items from my VR Dungeon and I
noticed abrasions on the padding of my Vive deluxe strap. Uh oh. Another
quick trip to Twitter confirmed that I wasn’t the only one who noticed
this.

The fact that NOBODY noticed this, is probably a bad thing. I feel like
if I ripped this padding off (it IS completely replaceable) and tossed
it into a glass of water, it would dissolve surprisingly quick. Not the
best material to stick on a part of the body that loves to sweat.

Pretty funny that the makers of the Gadget of the Year, whose gadget revolves around standing room-scale experiences which does lead to sweat far more than sit-down experiences, didn't test their "deluxe" strap's ability to... get wet 😄

167 REPLIES 167

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:

I've always said that VR arcades will be a great way to make money for a couple of years and my opinion hasn't changed on that. 

Great to hear that. And I know you will be excited to see what we are working on for after the "two years" is up, and we move on to the next phase.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

I've always said that VR arcades will be a great way to make money for a couple of years and my opinion hasn't changed on that. And I did also say three or four years at the most.

Fixed it  ❤️

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Bring back my Battletech Battlepods with this new technology!

Which reminds me I need to map Mechwarrior online on my hotas setup and play it in virtual desktop.
WAAAGH!

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Morgrum said:

Funny you should say that.......  B)
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

elboffor
Consultant

kevinw729 said:

Need to be careful how you define Niche.

The big problem is many of you use the term "arcade" as if it was still a thing. The arcade industry back in the 80-90 represented "street route" business (operators running a number of amusement pieces in a mall unit). But today the amusement industry represents "Family Entertainment Centers" and Entertainment facilities, combining large numbers of mixed-use entertainment systems.

Arcades are not a thing, its the amusement industry and as cane be seen by the profits being made by Dave & Busters, Chuck E. Cheese and Main Event these are multi-million Dollar corporations seeing great expansion. 

Just as an example of how VR plays into the amusement scene lets just look at the brand new The VOID installation in the new FEC opened in Canada. The Rec Room kind of places in perspective the danger of sweeping assumptions when thinking that the amusement model with technology attractions is "niche"!

'VR Arcade' is just the beginning of the story - wait till you see the new 'Location-Based Entertainment' centers coming to the West!

Looks like a normal arcade to me...
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

kevinw729 said:

Morgrum said:

Dont make me full on man kiss you on the lips....
WAAAGH!

Anonymous
Not applicable
 😮 

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

snowdog said:

😮 

What Snow Jealous!
WAAAGH!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Morgrum said:

kevinw729 said:

Morgrum said:

Dont make me full on man kiss you on the lips....

Hmm, definitely not my ideal situation but...

elboffor
Consultant
@kevinw729 i mean no disrespect here but i have a question.

Why do you turn every conversation into something about arcades or something you've written?
From what I've read, (i may be wrong) you had a play in this sector back in the lawnmowerman days and have since been writing stuff about VR like you are some kind of expert on the subject.
I asked before if you have a rift and your reply was that you have access to multiple rifts but dont own one. So I'm wondering why you seem to feel the need to slap up walls of text all the time and turn almost every conversation into a VR arcade discussion.

Oh btw, please dont paste some stats or a pie chart from some obscure source as it reminds me of being at work lol.
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.