cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black is not black, it is gray

Neme2017
Explorer
Hi, I recently acquired a cv1, and from the first moment I constantly see grayish granules on most of the screen, especially on the left side, and when it is black, does anyone know how to solve this situation? I have tried everything, several adapters, both displayport (active and passive) and dvi, and they do not solve anything, I changed the graphics card drivers to previous versions and with clean installations, and nothing, until I reinstalled the OS several times , I even deactivated spud and the grainy disappears, but the screen happens to have a generalized grayish color very annoying, not to mention that the levels of black happen to be "256 colors", I do not know what to do ... someone Could you help me? My O.S is w10 and my graphics card is a gtx970. A greeting and many thanks to all.
19 REPLIES 19

flexy123
Superstar
Please delete/erase anything you did with SPUD registry entries.
Deinstall Oculus.
Reinstall Oculus.
Supply screenshots please. Right now you're talking about two things, the "256 colors" and then that blacks are not black.
Also: do NOT use any adapters with the Rift. If you use an adapter, ONLY for the monitor. Also, both, Rift and monitor must be on the GTX970. Since it only has one HDMI (likely), you need an adapter/cable for the monitor.

Also..for reinstalling your GTX970 drivers, use DDU (display driver uninstaller) and get rid of everything first.

cleanupdisc
Adventurer
Its probably the gtx 970 tbh, i have heard of horro stroies with it. I have seen people have better results using the display port on the gpu by using an adapter cable.

cybereality
Grand Champion
That's not completely abnormal. The black levels won't be quite as good as a monitor. In addition, each screen has some natural irregularity, so it's possible (for example) the contrast to be slightly different from panel to panel. If it seems really extreme or bothersome, please submit a support ticket. Thanks.
https://support.oculus.com
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Neme2017
Explorer
Thanks for your answers, and installed everything as you say, step by step, and I get the same results, right now I can not take pictures to the screen, but this afternoon I will try, I have done an absolutely clean installation, again and It does not change anything, I still see the gray spots, like dust.
I do not expect it to look like an OLED monitor, but I do not think it looks worse than a lcd from the beginning of the century, I understand it is not absolutely black, but seeing clearly gray displays is not normal.

HiCZoK
Protege
I kinda have similar "issues" if I may add it in this topic.

On left screen (sometimes with totally black screen when loading) I can see plenty of gray dots. Right screen is ok. Dots are not visible on all black screens or on color at all.
Colors look a bit washed out and some games like dead and buried look like 256bit colors, especially in main menu with fog and black background.
And ofcourse optics create a ton of shining and so on. It feels like Riddick sometimes but it's not that bad

Neme2017
Explorer

HiCZoK said:

On left screen (sometimes with totally black screen when loading) I can see plenty of gray dots. Right screen is ok. Dots are not visible on all black screens or on color at all.
Colors look a bit washed out and some games like dead and buried look like 256bit colors, especially in main menu with fog and black background.
And ofcourse optics create a ton of shining and so on. It feels like Riddick sometimes but it's not that bad

Your rift is a new bundle???Seems to be a widespread problem in the new pack of rifts, many people are complaining about this problem for what I am reading on reddit...

Neme2017
Explorer

That's not completely abnormal. The black levels won't be quite as good as a monitor. In addition, each screen has some natural irregularity, so it's possible (for example) the contrast to be slightly different from panel to panel. If it seems really extreme or bothersome, please submit a support ticket. Thanks.
https://support.oculus.com

Thanks for your recommendation, but what I see on the screen is far from being normal, I have opened a case in oculus support from day 17 and no one answers, I understand that they are very busy, but wait a week to Start giving me an answer seems like a long time, anyway thank you for your help !!

HiCZoK
Protege

Neme2017 said:

HiCZoK said:

Your rift is a new bundle???Seems to be a widespread problem in the new pack of rifts, many people are complaining about this problem for what I am reading on reddit...

Yes it's new bundle. I just created topic about problems with my rift here https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/56732/two-problems-one-with-left-lens-and-other-with-screens-please-advise#latest

I am not sure if I will open a claim yet. Waiting to see what support will replay to me in my topic. Both problems I;ve described are annoyances for sure.

The one You are describing is also my problem. it's this pattern of grey dots in some parts of the screen. Clearly visible on black background but also on grey. It's like a layer of dots visible on some colors.

flexy123
Superstar
A slight "mura" (film grain, static dust/speckes overlay that doesn't move) over certain blacks is NORMAL. This however shouldn't be visible 99% of time, only if something is entirely black. If you have strong mura visible elsewhere, a defect COULD be possible. (Hard to say without screen shots).

"256 colour" effect (I know what you're talking about) seems like a defect to me, should not happen in 99,9% of games, apps. I have only seen this once but it was likely because of the game/demo in question. If you have this, likely some display effect unless it has to do with adapters or some weird driver issue.

"blacks not entirely black", we have this problem quite often:
see
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/46456/tip-to-improve-rift-image-quality-if-you-have-n...
or
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/45293/tip-adjusting-color-saturation-brightness-etc-a...

Although the poor blacks because of an incorrect dynamic range in the Nvidia drivers should not be related to the 256 colour effect or the "film grain". But you should still give it a shot. (Read the above two links how to check whether your Nvidia driver dynamic range is set to "full" and how you can set it correctly)