Zenbane
MVP
MVP
This news just came in...

HTC Vive Now $599, Gets A Permanent $200 Price Cut

all that technology came at a premium price that has, until right now,
remained at $799 for the Vive headset, two motion controllers, and two
base stations for tracking. Other than a few flash sales and minor
discounts it’s been stuck at that price.

The updated package, priced at $599 for everything mentioned above, includes download codes for Richie’s Plank Experience, Everest VR, and Tilt Brush on Steam, as well as a one-month subscription to Viveport. The Viveport service has over 200 apps available, but you can only pick five to get access to over the course of a single month. It’s sort of like selectively renting content.

Interesting news considering it wasn't very long ago that HTC executives explained why a Vive price cut was unnecessary. Those reasons seem to still apply today, giving rise to insight that perhaps HTC feels the pressure from the aggressive Oculus pricing in order to remain viable (and alive) in the high-end VR Market.

From E3 2017:

“we haven’t dropped the core price of the Vive because we think it offers the best room-scale [experience], hands down.”

O’Brien elaborated further on HTC’s perspective on the Vive’s price, saying that there are certainly price-sensitive customers who are looking for the lowest cost option, but there are also ‘value-sensitive customers who are willing to pay more if they feel they are getting better value out of their purchase;’ the latter is where a large portion of VR early-adopters fall, he said.

Sources:

https://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-now-599-gets-permanent-200-price-cut/

https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-explains-vive-price-cost-lowered-cut-discount/

*EDIT*
Latest damaging articles/discussions:

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/552854/#Comment_552854

465 REPLIES 465

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm beginning to think that some people on here are starting to make me look completely sane lol

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer
child labour at its best. 

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Child Labor?

dc5ausj8rxan.jpg
WAAAGH!

Percy1983
Superstar
It does make me wonder when people say you need 3 sensors to match the Vive, as both systems rely on line of sight if sensors/lighthouses are in the same place tracking will be similar.

I will say the wands having much more sticking out will probably give a slight advantage in hand tracking but the oculus front and rear tracking points should give better head tracking.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Percy1983 said:

It does make me wonder when people say you need 3 sensors to match the Vive, as both systems rely on line of sight if sensors/lighthouses are in the same place tracking will be similar.

I will say the wands having much more sticking out will probably give a slight advantage in hand tracking but the oculus front and rear tracking points should give better head tracking.

It's because the two-sensor setup is always showcased as front-facing. Even during the Oculus Setup tutorial, the video has the two sensors up front:

The little tutorial hottie has hers up front.

Oculus doesn't do enough to advertise the multiple setup options. It's like they don't have enough confidence at times (bad marketing?)

Oculus is like a super sexy girl that is highly insecure; whereas the Vive is like that one person who keeps wearing Yoga Pants even though they clearly SHOULDN'T  :'(

But I digress...

vannagirl
Consultant

snowdog said:

I'm beginning to think that some people on here are starting to make me look completely sane lol

This is the most disturbing thing i read this month
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Percy1983 said:

Actually if you have 3 sensors you should get less occlusion and better tracking than with 2 Lighthouses. I'm pretty sure someone on here did the trig a while back, I think you get something like 5% less occlusion with three sensors.

Percy1983
Superstar

snowdog said:

Percy1983 said:

Actually if you have 3 sensors you should get less occlusion and better tracking than with 2 Lighthouses. I'm pretty sure someone on here did the trig a while back, I think you get something like 5% less occlusion with three sensors.

Exactly the point, I was talking about people saying you need 3 to match the vive when you can match the vive with 2.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

Anonymous
Not applicable

Percy1983 said:

snowdog said:

Percy1983 said:

Exactly the point, I was talking about people saying you need 3 to match the vive when you can match the vive with 2.

You can't quite match the Vive with 2 because the Vive controllers are huge so there's less occlusion. If you turn around in a circle with 2 you get a slight blip when tracking goes from the Touch controller losing one sensor and seeing the other. It's only a slight jump, but it's certainly noticeable.

kzintzi
Trustee

snowdog said:

Everything that @bigmike20vt said.

It's basically a space trucker simulator tbh. If Euro Truck and American Truck Simulators are sims then so is Elite Dangerous.

I agree - I don't care if it's an accurate flight simulator (personally I'm not interested in flying a plane), all I care about is that it's a cool space-combat sim that makes me think of Privateer, Elite, Frontier, and many of the other ones I've played over the past 30 years, except that I'm inside the cockpit, and it's friken awesome.

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.