cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Look at High-end VR Racing Sim

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
https://youtu.be/lbHGlMNij1E
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
43 REPLIES 43

falken76
Expert Consultant
That looks awesome.  But no way would anyone be able to afford a home version, what would it cost?  $10,000?  Where can you even play these games in the USA?  I don't even think we have an arcade in this city anymore and I live in a major city in Arizona.  Even if we did, what would it cost to play something like this?  I certainly wouldn't pay a few bucks to play it, I'd pay 50 cents though.  I assume they'd be at arcades and if that's the cost to play and other games are similarly priced it's no wonder at all that I don't see any arcades anywhere.  The VR booths in the malls were always empty because the cost to play the game is passed the tipping point.  I've tried them and felt like I wasted my money when I was done because the ride cost $5!  Those employees that ran the machines always looked bored out of their skulls.  I'll bet an 8 hour day felt like 24 hours to them....

bigmike20vt
Visionary
@falken76its not that quality as the one above but unless you are a 20stone chubster there are home solutions offering 90% of the experience above for under £5000

sure its expensive and would take some justifying for many of us, but its all relative.  if it lasts 10 years with decent maintenance, well i know some who pay almost 1k a year for golf membership.

my father pays probably £800 a year so he can shoot birds to eat, others pay similar to go fishing.

PS you would not pay a few $ for a go on the above?........

would you feel the same way if you DIDNT have a VR HMD with practically the same game on it at home?

not everyone has access to a VR headset and for those who dont i reckon $5 for a 5 min driving experience like the above would be a no brainer. i know i would pay it in that position.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Sundaygloom
Protege
I've been looking into the next level racing motion platform v3. It seems to be the most affordable home rig that's not diy, doesn't take up a ton of space and is fairly quiet. It seems to have good support and works well with vr from the reviews I've seen. 3000$ is still a bit out of what I'm willing to spend but atleast it's in the realm of feasible. I've already spent about 2000$ on my current setup, motion would be the last piece I need but I'm happy for now, just something to look forward to one day. 

danknugz
Superstar
imo, not worth the money until cv2 or 4k screens, and even then, just rather put that money towards a real car. ill just lean into turns and save myself the 40k
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

elboffor
Consultant

danknugz said:

imo, not worth the money until cv2 or 4k screens, and even then, just rather put that money towards a real car. ill just lean into turns and save myself the 40k

HellZ yeah.
Someone finally brought up resolution, the ultimate killer of sim immersion.
Its definitely the best solution we have right now. But not much point spending so much to emulate beong there if it still looks like a video game (ie screen on your face)
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

falken76
Expert Consultant
The first time I tried it I didn't have a headset.  I tried again many months after I got my headset.  Both times I felt like I wasted my money.  I would guess by the complete and total lack of any interest by anyone else in the mall that this is probably not a unique view.  I'm sure all the equipment is expensive and would need to be paid for by people playing the games.  I don't think they could even pay for the machines with the lack of interest displayed in the malls,

This setup is different, the ones I tried were like rides.  This is interactive, but It's too expensive if it costs $5 to play, sure the occassional passer by might try it, but that's not even going to pay for the equipment.  I'll never see VR arcades here because nobody would be willing to take the risk of investment.  $5 game experiences would be a very hard sale IMHO.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I made sure the F80 for assetto  was ready by the time VR was out, rock star liked it so much they made the x80, and ford liked it so much the gt 2017  lol.... 🙂

Greyman
Superstar

Rolz said:

*sigh* when you have a shitload of money to buy a real sports car you get this instead... hopefully sometime in the future motion setups like this will be affordable for the common man...
very nice indeed...

this might help to answer the question about the VR sim vs the real thing  🙂

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/27/260000-ferrari-smashed-just-hour-bought/

Anonymous
Not applicable
m5ccu4ordj2d.jpg

l3ckml41hph8.jpgp67k2djk0x2c.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am running a obbutto revolution
Maximum performance pedals
Fanatec shifter
Ollies build (https://sim-pli.city) direct drive wheel.

The thing to do is not look at every thing and think, I cant afford that, what you do is you start off small, just get a nice T500RS wheel or G27... and you start to build up your rig.

The move up from T500RS to direct drive is ALOT.

I have a lot of storys or tips but I guess this is not the place.

Sim racing and VR is easily the most impressive thing in gaming I have ever seen.

If you are interested in VR and racing, is it any good... it is better than you can imagine.

Buy a Oculus Rift and support Oculus, and slowly add parts to your home set up for friends family and your pursuits.

For reference, stationary seats and so on are called just that stationary, and then the next level up from just locking a butt kicker on a stationary to give the impression of rumble (not necessary with a direct drive wheel the thing has enough force and feedback to put you in the car imo) but any way point is.. movement chairs and stuff have degrees of movement, like 2 angles of movement, 4, 6.

Myself personally I am more interested in getting a blade runner type replica that works in game, the striker VR rifle is over $2000 which is bat shit insane.

VR is the kind of environment of gaming that spending £500 for devices makes sense.

VR is awesome, Oculus enable fun!