New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Two problems: one with left lens and other with screens. Please advise

HiCZoKHiCZoK Posts: 230
Art3mis
edited August 2017 in Support
Hi everyone!
I received the Rift 3 days ago and love it. It works great. I have no other problems with it except for described below.

First - left lens have this circle in the middle. It must be from the underside. Maybe it's not polished enough from back side during manufacturing process? I took the picture of it(2 pics below). Right lens does not have this issue and seems clear. It's only on left. Sorry for dust on picture. I only used included microfiber cloth gently to clean rift and I don't have problem with scratches or anything. It's just this ring on left lens from what I've found so far. I can kinda see light refracting on it in games and it looks like brighter spot in middle of my vision in left eye. Most of the time it's not noticeable but sometimes I can notice more glare in this place compared to right eye.

Again - what You see in pictures is not effect of lens flare from camera flash. It's there all the time.

And other issue is this pattern of grey dots visible on black background. It's like a stained pattern. Irregular but not changing from use to use. Much more prominent on left screen and less on right. Always look like this on whole black screen. Sometimes I can see the pattern through the dark images too. But this one seems weird. While it's always visible on whole dark screen, I am not sure if it's visible at other times too.

Easy to check on every black loading screen, on Dead'n'buried or in Bigscreen void. Looks like this (couldn't take a picture of it but it looks like very high ISO but only in parts of the screen like on image I recreated below)

I did not had problems like this on DK2... Maybe the second issue is caused by software(some pixels not turning off)?
But first problem I described seems like a lens defect.

Overall the screen door effect is much better compared to dk2 but the image seems "dirtier" if that's the word meaning anything.

I will wait for maybe getting support reply here. After that I might ask for refund or replacement if Oculus can guarantee that repacement unit will be free of those defects. No bad feelings. Its sale, lots of units produced and shipped. It can happen I guess.

Comments

• ruskie666ruskie666 Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    I think its happening a lot more than you think. I'm on my second rift and this one seems much worse. The SPUD registry key resolves it but I'm unsure if it introduces other issues, God rays seem to be worse with SPUD off.

Unsure whether to keep the one i've got or get a refund and wait until these issues are resolved.  Maybe a firmware update will resolve it?  Oculus support a very quiet...   :/
  • HiCZoKHiCZoK Posts: 230
    Art3mis
    edited August 2017
    So that pattern I see on part of screen in black scenes is SPUD setting ON or OFF? I prefer not to fiddle with registry or change anything on my own yet.

What about the weird circle on lens? Is that a defect that many have ?
    Brain Burst
    The pattern you are seeing is with SPUD ON.  Apparently it has been turned on since an Oculus update in September.  The registry key is a very simple change, you create a key and put a 1 or  0 depending if you want SPUD enabled or disabled.

The circle on the lens doesn't look right. Do you noticed it when wearing the headset?
    Art3mis
    ruskie666 said:
    The pattern you are seeing is with SPUD ON.  Apparently it has been turned on since an Oculus update in September.  The registry key is a very simple change, you create a key and put a 1 or  0 depending if you want SPUD enabled or disabled.

The circle on the lens doesn't look right. Do you noticed it when wearing the headset?
    Ok I will try it when I get back home.

I do notice it a bit in some scenearios... or at least I think so. It seems like smudge in the center of my elft eye
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Looks like a manufacturing defect to me. If you bought direct from oculus id raise a ticket.
    If you got it from amazon then follow that route as itll be quicker
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 793
    3Jane
    As for the ring - I try to remember but can't check right now since currently without a Rift, my third unit is on the way to me. I actually THINK I had the "Ring" on the lens as well but think it was normal and part of the fresnel pattern.
  • Belisario79Belisario79 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Hi , i have exactly the same problem with the loading screens when they turn black but is only noticeable in the left screen and only while loading i dont noticed this "grey dust " while  playing . did you solve the problem with spud change ? or oculus support ? 
    Art3mis
    i did changed the spud in registry and it worked great. the film grain is gone.and colors look good. god rays are running amok now though so it is a trade off
    NerveGear
    Can you tell me how to change the spud registry ? I´ll be very glad . Thank you. And forgive me but what is a "God ray" ? 

Brain Burst
    SPUD registry key described here: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6tca7t/why_you_may_need_to_disable_spud_oled_mura/

God rays are beams of light that radiate from bright objects, usually with dark background.  Google image 'God Rays' and you see what i mean. In fact, Google auto completes 'God Rays' with 'Oculus Rift', so that says a lot!
    NerveGear
    ruskie666 said:
    SPUD registry key described here: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6tca7t/why_you_may_need_to_disable_spud_oled_mura/

God rays are beams of light that radiate from bright objects, usually with dark background.  Google image 'God Rays' and you see what i mean. In fact, Google auto completes 'God Rays' with 'Oculus Rift', so that says a lot!
    Thank you so much !
    3Jane
    HiCZoK said:
    i did changed the spud in registry and it worked great. the film grain is gone.and colors look good. god rays are running amok now though so it is a trade off
    If my next unit has the same SHHHH going on..and Spud works, I'd actually be fine with it. Possibly. I will see.
    I don't know exactly how Spud will affect overall image quality, MAYBE it also does something like increase contrast which WOULD explain when people say they perceive more god rays. (More contrast would likely mean more god rays). Because god rays are of course a product of the optics, not the display or software.
    Brain Burst
    flexy123 said:
    HiCZoK said:
    If my next unit has the same SHHHH going on..and Spud works, I'd actually be fine with it. Possibly. I will see.
    I don't know exactly how Spud will affect overall image quality, MAYBE it also does something like increase contrast which WOULD explain when people say they perceive more god rays. (More contrast would likely mean more god rays). Because god rays are of course a product of the optics, not the display or software.
    I'm already on a second unit (as we discussed in another original post), this one is a bit worse. I think with current batch, you will almost certainly get a 'grainy' screen to some degree. Its going to be distracting even with the smallest bit of grain. Like knowing there is a dead pixel on the screen and homing in on it all the time.

It sounds like an Oculus lottery at the moment. I wish people who have received their 'flawless' rifts also contribute to the forums so we know thsy fault free' ones exist. I had to bump my original post until you replied.  I had 16 view prior to this.

I've kept the original support ticket open and I've asked if there is a hardware fault.  Some back and to emails and support still do not understand what my problem is.  Admittedly, its difficult to take the picture of the lens and my pictures are not great.  In my last reply, i've just asked them to look at many forum posts on the issue.

TBH, I'm not that impressed with the quality/resolution of the rifts screen anyway. I think its a limitation of the current hardware which will take a CV3 or CV4 to perfect. The initial robot touch demo was amazing and I felt presence. However, after trying the rift for a few weeks I've got used to the experiences and they feel OK. I feel sick after some of them! If they fix the FOV, resolution and ditch the wires, then Oculus are onto a winner. I think the touch controllers are a genius piece of tech tho.

Something that has just popped into my head: Summer of  Rifts sale price is made possible by installing inferior screens? Naaaaaaah surely? :)
    3Jane
    edited August 2017
    TBH I am not 100% sure what your issue is either. Because you mention the "grainy screens", which sort of are normal (on a black background). You won't get a Rift or Vive which doesn't have at least SOME "grainy screen" (mura) going on. I could live with that. My problem is not the "mura" (grainy screen) itself but this greenish pattern/band. (The "grainy screen" is uniform all across the screen, the "greenish band" is not, it's like in a section of the screen on top of the "grains"). So even if those two things may be related, we're talking about two different things here I think. I would not RMA just because of mura. It's not pretty, no, but I rarely notice it and don't see as an issue. It's possible that you have just "normal mura" going on and support thinks so as well?
    Art3mis
    Nah. Its not banding problem for me. Its the grain filter on part of the screen visible especially on dark or black backgrounds. It is fixed with apud trick though.
    Brain Burst
    flexy123 said:
    TBH I am not 100% sure what your issue is either. Because you mention the "grainy screens", which sort of are normal (on a black background). You won't get a Rift or Vive which doesn't have at least SOME "grainy screen" (mura) going on. I could live with that. My problem is not the "mura" (grainy screen) itself but this greenish pattern/band. (The "grainy screen" is uniform all across the screen, the "greenish band" is not, it's like in a section of the screen on top of the "grains"). So even if those two things may be related, we're talking about two different things here I think. I would not RMA just because of mura. It's not pretty, no, but I rarely notice it and don't see as an issue. It's possible that you have just "normal mura" going on and support thinks so as well?
    Grainy is probably not the right word I'm using. I do get the same banding like you have described. Its not as green but noticeable on dark scenes. I think we are talking about the same issue.
    NerveGear
    Tried the SPUD workaround for mi "grainy dust screen" and it worked great ! As expected i now have more "god rays" but i prefer that to the dust . 
    Another question SPUD is only ON or OFF ? or there are some kind tweak we can handle to calibrate the screen ?

3Jane
    edited August 2017
    I don't have "insider information" obviously, but I suspect this may well have to do with calibration. And what SPUD does is to load and apply these calibration files. (Similar as with a monitor where you can apply calibrated monitor profiles). But this calibration I am sure happens in the factory, using special sensors. So I do not *think* that there is a way to calibrate the screen for normal people.

One hypothesis about the current issue with the greenish banding is that it's a messed-up calibration done in the factory...which would essentially mean that the displays itself are ok but that it's the *.spud files (wrong calibration) which create the banding. This would also explain why it goes away (??) when spud is disabled.
    Art3mis
    I do not have banding, discoloration or grain with spud tweak. Just increased god rays.
  • Neme2017Neme2017 Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    flexy123 said:
    I don't have "insider information" obviously, but I suspect this may well have to do with calibration. And what SPUD does is to load and apply these calibration files. (Similar as with a monitor where you can apply calibrated monitor profiles). But this calibration I am sure happens in the factory, using special sensors. So I do not *think* that there is a way to calibrate the screen for normal people.

One hypothesis about the current issue with the greenish banding is that it's a messed-up calibration done in the factory...which would essentially mean that the displays itself are ok but that it's the *.spud files (wrong calibration) which create the banding. This would also explain why it goes away (??) when spud is disabled.
    I think you are absolutely right in the spud tool, I am quite sure that it is a serious calibration problem at the factory, mysteriously it is not uniform, and when you disable it, to be a normal screen, I think you have With the paw with trying to eliminate the rays of God with that tool, and it is worse the remedy than the disease, with it activated you see less rays of God, just less .... because they are there, but it worsens very much the image quality , Muted colors, gray blacks, screen irregularities ...
  • ScytoScyto Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    you can extract the SPUD ohctfm files and look at them in an image viewer - it looks just like the noise you see with spud enabled, basically they are either applying the wrong SPUD files or applying them in the wrong way - thats why things look perfect for many folks when usespud=0 is applied.
  • ScytoScyto Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    oh i also have nearly 3 weeks of email back and forth on this issue with support - their lack of taking customers seriously on this issue is why i returned my rift to amazon today.  I was not confident they would fix it.
  • OriginalSnakeOriginalSnake Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    I ordered the Rift in the summer sale and had the Green Mura effect pretty bad on both lenses it was really distracting especially in dark scenes as the it would be all you could see being the closest thing to focus on. This was the new SKU with the softer padding The Mura was quite uniform on both lenses and worse at the bottom as it was like banding across from left to right. 

I finally got support to agree to RMA it and they sent me out a new unit... Looks like an older SKU as it had the thicker foam.. But alas this unit was also defective and felt even worse as the Mura was mainly in the right lens which produced a horrible feeling of the right eye being out of focus. The new unit also has a red line across the top of the display when using a DVI to HDMI adapter this did not happen on the first one.

I have submitted another ticket and now back in the process of trying to get another RMA sorted.. I'm new to VR and so far my experience has been awful and I'm wishing I didn't bother.

I tried the SPUD Tool to which does take it away but instead I have messed up colours and black levels. Resulting in red' ish grey and washed out blacks God rays are worse on this unit too.

3Jane
    edited November 2017

Scyto said:
    you can extract the SPUD ohctfm files and look at them in an image viewer - it looks just like the noise you see with spud enabled, basically they are either applying the wrong SPUD files or applying them in the wrong way - thats why things look perfect for many folks when usespud=0 is applied.

You'd first have to convert the data into images,the spud data itself is raw bytes with a 20 bytes header. But yes, in principle those are images.

It is correct what you say that the spud images "sort-of" reflect these artifacts (I am STILL not entirely discounting that some spud image sets might simply be wrong) but it's a little more complicated than that. At least according to my research.

The artifacts, the bands come IMHO as a combination of the spud images AND also as a combination of the display properties itself with these images. Means it's not as easy as just to edit the spud images - these must of course match the display properties. Say your display would have colour banding (which can happen since OLEDs are rarely perfect), then the calibration images must reflect this so that Spud can compensate for it. Problem is, this doesn't work right for whatever reason with some units.