New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HTC finally gives in! The Vive price cut has arrived

Comments

• madamluckmadamluck Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    @Atmos73 I dont know you , and don't think Ive ever interacted with you before now. But I have seen many of your posts which are pretty much all anti oculus ... yes oculus isn't perfect but neither is any other vr headset out there. I just don't know why you are here to be honest. You don't bring anything to help this community from what I've seen. I enjoy coming to the OCULUS forum to interact with other rift owners / potential new owners... but I got to be honest, You bring such a bad vibe to this forum.

Sorry don't mean to change subject 
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,657 Valuable Player
    So heres my take on whats currently going on.
    Ala the Super Bowl.
    The Vive had a 23 pt lead in the beginning because pf their wands.
    Now Oculus has stepped up their game and scored unanswered pt after pt......
    Can Vive take it to overtime?
    WAAAGH!
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,148 Valuable Player
    Did @Atmos73 just SERIOUSLY say that Oculus have done bugger all for VR?

They've funded $500m worth of VR development. Without that funding the majority of the best VR games in the Oculus Store and on Steam WOULDN'T EXIST. I've said this multiple times before - the vast majority of Vive owners didn't give a FUCK about the principle of the Oculus so-called 'walled garden'. They just had the raging hump because there were only 2% decent games available on Steam. The other 98% was (and still is) a load of old bollocks that wasn't (and isn't) worth playing.

Until the likes of Fallout 4 VR, Doom VFR and Skyrim VR are released Oculus are responsible for the ONLY AAA quality titles available so far. And they've had these quality titles available since day one. HTC and Valve are so far behind Oculus when it comes to software and still will be even after those 3 titles release.

And that's just games and experiences. Oculus were first to bring ATW to the world, it took Valve 6 months to come up with their own version. And they still haven't come up with an ASW equivalent yet. Oculus were also the first to bring super sampling to the table with Valve playing catch up AGAIN. And @Zenbane was completely correct about the hardware too.

Oculus are so far ahead of everyone else in terms of R&D for both hardware, software and SDKs that it's completely ridiculous. It's one of the reasons why I went for a Rift instead of a Vive and will be one of the reasons why I'm going to continue with an Oculus headset next generation too.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 789
    3Jane
    Facebook has been a major player in funding touch games for VR and other VR exclusives, no real question about that but I disagree that the first AAA quality VR games came from them. The first AAA quality VR games are normal seated games that have VR support (eg racing and flying games). Somewhere around 100k DK1's and DK2's were sold to players of those games from what I've heard. That's not a trivial number given those are fairly niche genres with only a few million players total. FB didn't get involved until shortly before the DK2's started shipping and of course the touch controllers didn't exist at the time. Not sure anyone was even working on them yet.
    They live amoungst us.
    Hidden from view.
    But the Sweds know how to find them.
    They have been hunting them for centuries.

WAAAGH!
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,842 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:

Oculus are so far ahead of everyone else in terms of R&D for both hardware, software and SDKs that it's completely ridiculous. It's one of the reasons why I went for a Rift instead of a Vive and will be one of the reasons why I'm going to continue with an Oculus headset next generation too.
    Agree completely with that!
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,192 Valuable Player
    edited August 2017

I do not think Facebook wants to be the new Steam. I also believe they are not really interested in the long term, in making hardware.

Their motives I believe in doing any of this, is to help promote VR and the technologies which will help drive a VR social network and persistent VR reality online.

Selling Virtual goods / advertising in a virtual socially connected world is where the real money will be.

'Ready player One' reads like a solid business plan for the future.

• RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,594 Valuable Player
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-24/smartphone-maker-htc-is-said-to-explore-strategic-options

Deal with it, Atmos. Facebook is doing great. And HTC is doing not so great (to say the least).

Here's another one for you:
    https://www.eteknix.com/bethesda-slaps-htc-vive-wrist-lying-fallout-4-vr/

What is it, HTC? Desperation?

Oh, and HTC claimed that there will be no price cut for the Vive. Two month later (after the Rift price cut), HTC is doing a price cut, saying it was all planned before. Are you kidding me?
    You know what? This is desperation! HTC is knowing very well what it means to lose a brand war. They can't compete on the mobile market anymore, because of Samsung and Apple.
    The fight between Oculus and Vive is also a brand war. HTC is not willing to lose it, so they cut the price to stay on top of the game, even if that means to lose money. And this is okay. I mean, it would be okay, if they could afford it. But they can't. Making VR mainstream needs time and money. But HTC is running out of time and out of money.
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
  • HiCZoKHiCZoK Posts: 230
    Art3mis
    Luckey and Carmack invented this form of vr. With head tracking and 2 warpen lenses. I still remember that duct tape headset and doom3.... 5 years later and I am palying doom3 with cv1 and touch controls!
    Tbh I think LG are going to experience similar problems unless they can have their headset retailing for $400-500. They won't have the advantage that HTC has in having these things manufactured for a year and a half so will find it difficult to cut production costs but have added advantages in that they're going to be manufacturing their own panels and will be using Lighthouse 2.0.

Oculus will be making their price point $400 permanently at the end of March next year at least. Like I said before the advantage that HTC had with the Vive, their motion controllers and the Lighthouse tracking system, is becoming their Achilles Heel and the same may apply to LG too depending on how much cheaper Lighthouse 2.0 costs to manufacture.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Nope nope nope Zen go back to Old School Skeletor!
    WAAAGH!
    I wish I could get drunk...I miss it lol :D

Mind you, me not drinking for the last three and a bit years must have brought my tolerance level right down so that once my allergy goes I can get drunk like a normal person. My diabetes gives me a high metabolism so my body burns stuff up REALLY quickly. Back when I was drinking A LOT every day whilst working behind the bar I used to drink 20+ pints without a problem every day :blush:

If my allergy went tomorrow I'd probably get legless on 5 or 6 pints lmfao :D

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,612 Valuable Player
    edited August 2017
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-24/smartphone-maker-htc-is-said-to-explore-strategic-options

Deal with it, Atmos. Facebook is doing great. And HTC is doing not so great (to say the least).

What is it, HTC? Desperation?

Wow, fantastic articles!

Quote from the first:
    A transaction with a Silicon Valley firm like Google would mark a face-saving moment for Cher Wang, HTC’s co-founder and largest shareholder, who took over as chief executive officer of the the manufacturer in 2015. Wang has been unable to stem the losses in market share since returning to the company in a full-time capacity. The daughter of a petrochemical billionaire, Wang was Taiwan’s richest woman until HTC’s stock tanked

That is an impressive resume for a woman in the corporate world. While I do not care for the Vive (thanks to the attitude of Vivarians), I do hope she is able to put HTC behind her one day and continue her success elsewhere. Preferably with some other corporation with a real business model coughfacebookcough

And from the second article about HTC "lying"

... and this is the second time this year HTC has been forced to "undo" a screwup. The first one was the complete removal of their terrible decision to use Paris Hilton to market the Vive. And the Vive wasn't even setup in the damn photo:

This is the now "dead" link to their Hilton tweet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/HTCeSports/status/748665705256480769

Come on now, Cher Wang. Get your poopoo platter in order girl, damn.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    It'll be interesting to see if Bethesda do release a Rift version or if they were having kittens about people thinking that there wouldn't be a PSVR version.

Mind you, it doesn't include the DLC so I might end up just playing it with VorpX with DLC and a gamepad.

3Jane
    That would break it for me. All but 3 VR games I like are seated games with a joystick, but I can't go back to mouse and keyboard for shooters after Robo Recall. Regardless, the "as many platforms as possible" bit strongly suggests it will have full Rift support. I still think there is little to no chance of it being offered on OH due to the legal disagreements, but that doesn't bother me much. It'll be a day 1 buy for me with proper Rift support, in fact that's true of all 3 of Bethesda's VR ports.
    edited August 2017
    I have no problem using a mouse/keyboard in VR. I play flat 2D games in VR that way (e.g. playing StarCraft in Virtual Desktop). I don't do it as much lately, but it was all the rage for me last year.

snowdog said:
    I wish I could get drunk...I miss it lol :D

Mind you, me not drinking for the last three and a bit years must have brought my tolerance level right down so that once my allergy goes I can get drunk like a normal person. My diabetes gives me a high metabolism so my body burns stuff up REALLY quickly. Back when I was drinking A LOT every day whilst working behind the bar I used to drink 20+ pints without a problem every day :blush:

If my allergy went tomorrow I'd probably get legless on 5 or 6 pints lmfao :D

I don't drink much anymore. But we have Hurricane Harvey incoming (is that you, snowdog? dafuq?)

Hurricane Harvey: Wind and Heavy Rain Churn Toward Texas Coast
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/25/us/hurricane-harvey.html

We will all likely be trapped indoors starting in a few hours, lasting through the weekend. High winds and flooding predicted for the area. So btw, if I suddenly stop posting forever it's not because Cyber banned me again, it's because Hurricane Harvey won a PvP match :#

I got drunk with friends last night as part of a, "hey lets get drunk before we drown," celebration.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,017 Volunteer Moderator
    It'll be a day 1 buy for me with proper Rift support, in fact that's true of all 3 of Bethesda's VR ports.
    I would have pre-ordered, if Bethesda had come out and say that they'll support Oculus hardware (specifically Touch controllers). As it is, I'll wait for reviews to make sure they're properly playable on the Rift.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    nalex66 said:
    It'll be a day 1 buy for me with proper Rift support, in fact that's true of all 3 of Bethesda's VR ports.
    I would have pre-ordered, if Bethesda had come out and say that they'll support Oculus hardware (specifically Touch controllers). As it is, I'll wait for reviews to make sure they're properly playable on the Rift.
    I plan to wait for reviews as well; in particular anything related to Motion Sickness and overall VR implementation. I'm not prone to Cybersickness anymore, but every once in awhile there's a piece of software that does a rather terrible job of implementing that VR camera (e.g. slight fishbowl, choppy transitions, etc).

I have no doubt Bethesda is capable of a grand VR implementation, but it doesn't come by "default." It takes work, and I'm gonna wait to see if the reviews reflect that work effort.
    Yup, they named that hurricane after me. Just be thankful you're not going to be subject to Hurricane Antonia, you tend to get hit by cars when she's on the loose! :o:D:D:D

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,083 Valuable Player
    I have been holding off getting fallout 4 despite some great offers because of vr port. It's it's done well with proper motion control it could be one of the best vr titles to-date. (For me it won't be an ED or asset to corsa beater but that's just due to personal gaming preferences. I may think zenimax pulled some dick moves lately but I ain't cutting my nose off to spite my face 
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    There's still a slight chance that Fallout 4 VR will be more of a broken nail than a severed nose ;)
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,017 Volunteer Moderator
    I'd like for them to be great VR games, since Fallout 4 and the new Doom are two of my favourite flat games of the past several years. (Along with the new Wolfenstein games--really looking forward to Wolfenstein 2 in October!)

They've delayed them both until December, so hopefully they're taking that time to polish the remaining rough edges. Quakecon is on now and the VR games are playable at the event, so we should be seeing some new write-ups of the current state of the games soon.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • KeldorVRKeldorVR Posts: 11
    NerveGear

It’s not as if the HTC is the inferior product here. Even as an Oculus owner, I fully and freely admit that the Vive is the superior product in quality.  - This is a quote from the author of your posted article, WOW!  When the LG and other HMD's arrive as well as windows mixed reality it will shakeup the sector a bit I am sure.  I enjoy your arguments based on brand war and losing money as the low cost leader.  Microsoft and apple are soon to enter the sector.  Can you explain to me how facebook will compete with such established brands with established store fronts?  It seems to me facebook is so heavily dependent on others for hardware, OS, software that they really have no way to win if those competitors decide to directly compete with facebook which it seems they have.  Or do you suppose mr. zuckerberg has enough money to compete with apple, Microsoft, intel, etc?

You know what? This is desperation! HTC is knowing very well what it means to lose a brand war. They can't compete on the mobile market anymore, because of Samsung and Apple.
    The fight between Oculus and Vive is also a brand war. HTC is not willing to lose it, so they cut the price to stay on top of the game, even if that means to lose money. And this is okay. I mean, it would be okay, if they could afford it. But they can't. Making VR mainstream needs time and money. But HTC is running out of time and out of money.

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Hmmm
    A dark heman spouting the polar oposite to zenbane.

Clearly you are baiting for replies.
    Classic internet trol really.

I ask you this, how is the vive a superior product?
    Is it that:
    it weighs more?
    Comes with inferior head straps?
    Has dildos for controllers instead of world class touch controllers?
    The extra cost?

I could go on...
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,594 Valuable Player
    edited August 2017
    KeldorVR said:

It’s not as if the HTC is the inferior product here. Even as an Oculus owner, I fully and freely admit that the Vive is the superior product in quality.  - This is a quote from the author of your posted article, WOW!  When the LG and other HMD's arrive as well as windows mixed reality it will shakeup the sector a bit I am sure.  I enjoy your arguments based on brand war and losing money as the low cost leader.  Microsoft and apple are soon to enter the sector.  Can you explain to me how facebook will compete with such established brands with established store fronts?  It seems to me facebook is so heavily dependent on others for hardware, OS, software that they really have no way to win if those competitors decide to directly compete with facebook which it seems they have.  Or do you suppose mr. zuckerberg has enough money to compete with apple, Microsoft, intel, etc?

Another troll? I am sure Zenbane will give you some answers. I have no time for that debate.
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Its martinlandau aka AtariVR aka cleverusername 

Well dine for spotting it @vannagirl
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    3Jane
    KeldorVR said:

I'm not aware of Apple doing anything towards VR but I wouldn't expect much of anything from them even if they are. Anything from them will work exclusively with apple devices. Who is going to trade a high end desktop PC running Fallout VR for an IPhone with angry birds VR? My guess is no one, though some will get both of course.

Microsoft really hasn't shown any interest outside the commercial and console markets. Their Hololens will not be something you ever play games with. It's a $4000+ industrial grade headset intended to train oil refinery workers and people in similar environments. I've tinkered with one, it would be horrible for gaming even if you ignore the price. That just isn't what it's made for. They might do something on the xbox side, which in turn would work with windows. But anything on that end will be like the PSVR, so fairly low end but reasonably successful. I would view such a move as a good thing for the high end VR market, as it would better solidify VR in PC gaming.

As for Intel, they couldn't care less about VR. They don't make peripherals and as far as I know, never have. I hope someone proves me wrong though. I'm suddenly very curious about an Intel branded mouse and keyboard or maybe a monitor. :tongue: