cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right-side headphone stopped functioning.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Oculus, I got my rift earlier this week from Bestbuy, and this morning when I put it on I noticed the audio on the right side was cutting in and out till it eventually stopped working all together. I imagine it has to do with the wiring inside as it seems to depend on how tight it is on my head.  Anyways; I don't have a clue about fixing things like this, so I was wondering if you could give any advice on what to do..   Thanks, I really love this product and it just isn't the same with only one side having audio. x_x
231 REPLIES 231

johnco61
Expert Protege

If you experience any problems with your new Rift, please feel free to submit a ticket.
https://support.oculus.com

Thanks for that cybereality, everything seems ok.  It's a shame that support are under so much pressure at the moment, as apart from the lack of communication the service has been excellent.  When I first had issues they were quick to diagnose the problem and sent a return label, it went a bit quiet after that. Still all's well that ends well 

Henri1970
Adventurer
Hello,

I am having the same issue and contacted support, opened a ticket and there was a chat button? The guy in the chat did some basic trouble shooting and it would seem the strap is broken as well. I have since received a mail saying that support is busy because of summer sales (?). This in itself is more or less okay however that was a week ago and I am not getting any response anymore.

johnco61
Expert Protege
You will get a response don't worry about that, just use your rift with head phones for now.  It's better than sending the headset off now and having to wait 3 or 4 weeks to get it renewed 

kunoxs
Honored Guest
Use the tool to disconnect and reconnect it.

Nij
Heroic Explorer
@johnco61
Hey mate how did you get on with your new rift, support just told me to plug it in and it will be fine, not the case though at all!!, everytime I plug it in and launch oculus, it prompts me to set up a new device and then freezes and I can't even get past set up 😞

@cybereality
Not sure if you could give me any quck fixes before I either reinstall oculus or contact support!

Basically I've got my replacement rift and support said just plug it in but it did prompt me set up a new device and say it has installed my headset on windows notifications but the minute I plug the usb and hdmi cables in with the pc on or off and launch oculus, everything just freezes and after a couple of reboots I decided to just leave it and it basically just hangs for ages and eventually closes oculus or flicks between oculus and my desktop but I never get past the screen that shows all the sensors, headset and hdmi connections and they all say OK but it will just hang there and can't complete set up

I haven't changed anything since the last few weeks since I used my old headset but I know my pc did update to the creators update on windows 10 and I've had 2 nvidia graphic driver updates since last time and also OH 1.17

Don't wanna really reinstall everything again as last time I did that all my backups for games and apps never worked and I had to start everything again so hoping to avoid this

Cheers

Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

johnco61
Expert Protege

Nij said:

@johnco61
Hey mate how did you get on with your new rift, support just told me to plug it in and it will be fine, not the case though at all!!, everytime I plug it in and launch oculus, it prompts me to set up a new device and then freezes and I can't even get past set up 😞

@cybereality
Not sure if you could give me any quck fixes before I either reinstall oculus or contact support!

Basically I've got my replacement rift and support said just plug it in but it did prompt me set up a new device and say it has installed my headset on windows notifications but the minute I plug the usb and hdmi cables in with the pc on or off and launch oculus, everything just freezes and after a couple of reboots I decided to just leave it and it basically just hangs for ages and eventually closes oculus or flicks between oculus and my desktop but I never get past the screen that shows all the sensors, headset and hdmi connections and they all say OK but it will just hang there and can't complete set up

I haven't changed anything since the last few weeks since I used my old headset but I know my pc did update to the creators update on windows 10 and I've had 2 nvidia graphic driver updates since last time and also OH 1.17

Don't wanna really reinstall everything again as last time I did that all my backups for games and apps never worked and I had to start everything again so hoping to avoid this

Cheers

That's strange I didn't have a problem, having said that I had to go through the setup at the start but that went ok.  I did have the HMD disconnecting all the time which I never had before but switching the usb ports about sorted that.
The only thing I can suggest is uninstalling the Oculus software and start again, I know it's a pain but that's the first thing support will say!

Nij
Heroic Explorer

johnco61 said:

That's strange I didn't have a problem, having said that I had to go through the setup at the start but that went ok.  I did have the HMD disconnecting all the time which I never had before but switching the usb ports about sorted that.
The only thing I can suggest is uninstalling the Oculus software and start again, I know it's a pain but that's the first thing support will say!

I know i'm thinking that's the first place I will have to start, no point in contacting support just yet till I've done that, just dreading it as last time I did this, I followed the backup games instructions on oculus and none of my games were restored and had to start all my games from scratch!
Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Nij
Heroic Explorer
nightmare over, managed to skip setup then put on the headset so I get it to display OH and then run setup and we seem to back in the rift saddle, thank the heavens above

Which is great in itself but my weekend is nearly over now and I've had barely any rift action 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable
I posted mine on 4th August, and have only heard from oculus in response to my questions, nothing helpful.
"we are experiencing high demand due to summer sale etc."
I'm sorely disappointed, it seems RMA are low priority.

UrbanLogicGames
Explorer
I'm losing sound in the right ear too. I tried the detach, blow, reattach method but no luck. I did manage to temporarily get sound back by pressing on the right band (near the velcro) but that stopped working after a while. I then tried undoing the velcro on both sides, let the straps extend all the way out, then slowly tighting the Rift. This must have re-seated something because I now have sound back again, but no idea how long that'll last. It's highly likely the process of extending the strap might eventually make things worse.