cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To: Full VR Setup (not just the PC) for under $1000

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
YouTube has been full of "VR Ready Machine for $1000" advertisements since last year. So many videos that feel the need to teach people how $1000 will only get you a good PC.

But today I was pleased to see a video that goes a little further, by showing viewers how to start from scratch... and get an entire VR package (new PC, and full VR kit that supports 360 with room-scale) for under $1000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OojpaA_Mn_c

14 REPLIES 14

elboffor
Consultant
Does it inclide the cost of the OS?
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Dont think so... but who actually buys an OS? lol

I'm not referring to piracy either. There's so many easy ways to get a free copy of Windows that if someone actually pays for it, they just aren't trying.

I think Windows 95 was the only OS that mass consumers purchased.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Legal ways to get Windows 10:
1) Buy it for $100 USD
2) Install free trial version (no customization allowed, probably self destructs eventually)

Questionably legal ways:
1) Buy it from someone who bought it using stolen credit cards (this is how you get it for $20 from a software resale site)

Illegal:
1) Pirate it

In any case, you can build a halfway decent gaming PC on a fairly cheap budget as the video shows. The fact that he under estimated the cost by $100 doesn't change that.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Legal ways to get Windows 10:
1) Buy it for $100 USD
2) Install free trial version (no customization allowed, probably self destructs eventually)

Definitely the worst of the options.

Better options:
1) Windows developers get large amounts of free Windows Keys from MSDN
licensing. And Windows developers are a dime a dozen these days. Ask a Windows developer nicely, maybe buy them lunch. These are 100% legal keys.

2) College students and Teachers can get a Windows OS for either free or very cheap. Use those networking skills.

cybereality
Grand Champion
You can get Window 10 keys legally for cheap. I've bought for as low as $15.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I think there needs to be a paradigm shift in software design especially within the gaming sector where  all major releases are VR compatible as standard. RE7 is a good example where the cost of VR development is subsidized by the 2D version at this stage where there are few consumers with VR headsets. This type of systemic change is what will draw in the punters.  I believe the cost becomes immaterial if this was to happen as proven by how much people spend on other electronic devices in the same price bracket.

Without the software to drive it, VR isn't climbing out of the niche market in my opinion. It needs familiar big named experiences that can seamlessly shift between 2D and VR at the touch of a button.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

shiari
Heroic Explorer

I think there needs to be a paradigm shift in software design especially within the gaming sector where  all major releases are VR compatible as standard.

I strongly disagree with this.

Slapping VR onto what is basically what is made to be a 2D experience is a bad idea in general. Making every game support VR would mean a lot of terrible games coming out, bring us a lot of nausea inducing experiences for those who haven't got their VR legs, and for those games that offer multiplayer there would be balancing issues (how would you say balance WASD + mouse movement vs people teleporting in VR?). What you're suggesting just leaves us with an even bigger flood of terrible zombie wave shooters that I personally have zero interest in.

If they can, and it's a good fit, then sure, yes, every such game should offer VR support out of the box. But it's not going to be a good fit for every game. For example, Lucky's Tale ... to me the VR support in that doesn't add anything to the game.

I think what VR needs is more fantastic "made for VR" experiences. Experiences like those offered by Lone Echo and Echo Arena, Robo Recall, SuperHot VR, and Racket Nx. Most of those would not translate well to 2D at all.

vannagirl
Consultant

You can get Window 10 keys legally for cheap. I've bought for as low as $15.

yes same

i got my Win10 keys twice now in Ebay for 10,15 a little more if you wish to have it on a usb drive

@Zenbane

Great thread
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

BeastyBaiter
Superstar

shiari said:

I think there needs to be a paradigm shift in software design especially within the gaming sector where  all major releases are VR compatible as standard.

I strongly disagree with this.

Slapping VR onto what is basically what is made to be a 2D experience is a bad idea in general. Making every game support VR would mean a lot of terrible games coming out, bring us a lot of nausea inducing experiences for those who haven't got their VR legs, and for those games that offer multiplayer there would be balancing issues (how would you say balance WASD + mouse movement vs people teleporting in VR?). What you're suggesting just leaves us with an even bigger flood of terrible zombie wave shooters that I personally have zero interest in.

If they can, and it's a good fit, then sure, yes, every such game should offer VR support out of the box. But it's not going to be a good fit for every game. For example, Lucky's Tale ... to me the VR support in that doesn't add anything to the game.

I think what VR needs is more fantastic "made for VR" experiences. Experiences like those offered by Lone Echo and Echo Arena, Robo Recall, SuperHot VR, and Racket Nx. Most of those would not translate well to 2D at all.

I'm with you on that, imagine Total War: Warhammer in VR with touch controllers. It would just be awful, VR adds nothing to the game and would probably make it worse tbh. And the touch controllers don't fit that type of game at all. I also agree that VR in Lucky's Tale adds nothing to it. It isn't a bad game, but it is an example of an entire genre of game that VR doesn't add anything to (3rd person platformer). Fortunately, it doesn't hurt it either. However, there are other games where VR naturally fits. Anything with first person vehicle control is an obvious match. I don't think these have any balancing concerns between VR and non-VR players. It all fits together effortlessly. Incidentally, these were the very first VR games.

I think first person shooters/slashers also naturally fit, but as you already stated, mixing 2d and VR together in this genre has some complications. Teleporting is off the table in multiplayer for such games, but even using traditional FPS movement, the difference between mouse and touch controllers is also a balance issue. I'm not entirely sure which one is better either, they are so radically different. You could of course just make it a mouse and keyboard game with VR support, but I'm not sure how well that would be received.

And then there are the sidescrollers and such, obviously VR adds nothing to an intrinsically 2d game. So no point in doing that. There are also card games, which once again VR adds nothing to, though I suppose it doesn't hurt them. RPG's can be covered by previous examples. If it's a Skyrim style RPG, then VR + touch fits great. If Witcher 3 style game, VR and touch would be more a hindrance more than a help. It would probably make everyone hurl too, that spinning over the shoulder cam would be brutal.

On topic, those $15 windows keys are generally stolen. Been covered a million times all over the internet. Microsoft goes through about once a year or two and kills all those copies. Of course, if you move on in the meantime, it doesn't matter to you. There are also student versions but that requires you to either be or know a college student willing to sell it to you. They also give those students just 1 copy in my experience.