cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doom VFR

OldGamerGitt
Explorer
Hi Guys, in view of your (Oculus) ongoing legal dispute with Zenimax:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/05/16/zenimax-gear-vr-oculus-rift-lawsuit/

I think it is fairly safe to say that the Doom VFR game may not be appearing in your store anytime soon.
My question is: if it was bought via a third party store, for example the steam store, will the game be playable on the Rift, or is the game totally incompatible?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated, Thanks.
19 REPLIES 19

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Yeah, I'm looking forward to both Doom VFR and Fallout 4 VR, but I'm going to wait on buying both until we hear what people's experience is like trying to play them on the Rift.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

BoxDroppingManA
Expert Protege

nalex66 said:

The Steam store will only list Oculus Rift compatibility for apps that use the Oculus SDK. Titles that only mention Vive will typically work on Rift as well, but it's through SteamVR's Rift compatibility layer rather than native Oculus support.

That's not necessarily correct. The game publisher can choose whether the store page lists Oculus support. There's a few games that have Touch-specific control options while not using the Oculus SDK, and they get the Oculus compatibility tag. I'm not at home to check, but I'm pretty sure Ghost Town Mine Ride is like that, and I think Call of the Starseed is too.

kilobulb
Expert Protege
I hope someone does work some magic to make it work on Rift. It appears they are putting quite a bit of effort into it and it looks like a lot of fun. Hopefully the ongoing legal issues between Oculus and Zenimax don't cause people to miss out.

OldGamerGitt
Explorer

kilobulb said:

I hope someone does work some magic to make it work on Rift. It appears they are putting quite a bit of effort into it and it looks like a lot of fun. Hopefully the ongoing legal issues between Oculus and Zenimax don't cause people to miss out.

Yeahhh me too 🙂

KeldorVR
Honored Guest

Given OR represents about half the VR market and VR itself is a fairly niche thing, it would be walking the line of criminality (failure to operate in the interest of share holders) if they didn't also release for OR. They may toe that line, but it would be very strange to hurt themselves so badly over a grudge. That said, I think there is zero chance of it appearing on OH. It will instead be sold by steam and the Vive's store. That way they get the sales from OR users without giving a single cent to Oculus in the process.

You bring up an excellent point, maximizing shareholder value and fiduciary duty.  The profits from fallout 4 vr will not be very much relatively speaking.  However winning the billion dollar level lawsuit against facebook is a huge BOON and very important to the shareholders/owners of zenimax/Bethesda.  I have been told by certain insiders that the lack of DLC with fallout 4 vr is because zenimax is using the game only to bolster their billion dollar legal case, that they had real VR ambitions in counter to what some have speculated about Carmack not getting traction there (how is his lawsuit against zenimax going?).  That releasing the game without DLC was enough for this effort, but if they really wanted the title a success outside of the lawsuit they would have added the DLC. 

That they will do everything they can to make sure the stop Oculus working with this game (hardware checks, controller incompatibility, etc) to further bolster their billion dollar legal case against facebook/oculus and how upset they are with their IP theft.  That they really don't have a choice NOT to do this as it could hurt the billion dollar legal case if they don't go as aggressively after Oculus as possible.  It was also explained to me by these insiders that the release date was moved from October to December because of further "knuckles" testing.  I do recall reading the H3 developer saying mapping the controls for his game from the vive solution to the oculus solution was an issue.  Given that perspective and our total agreement that maximizing shareholder value may be a criminal matter if the executives involved do not execute, does it change your perspective that zenimax/Bethesda may HATE hurting the oculus rift community so hard, but the legal case requires them to do so? 

Do recall they are talking about "injunctions" would could stop all oculus hardware and software sales if the courts deems it, certainly they don't want to hurt the Oculus community, but if they don't and it hurts that billion dollar legal case, the executives could be fired or have criminal issues brought against them.  I don't like the situation, but when billions of dollars are involved, it seems many humans lose their ethics and decency.  I have also been told if oculus were to fire iribe, carmack, and nate Mitchell like they did with Luckey, it may help facebook's legal case not to have these bad elements on that lied and stole.  Why do you feel the shareholders of Facebook feel it is ok to keep employing proven liars and thieves who caused this terrible disaster in this fragile growing industry?  It has harmed the community in so many ways.  I for one want to purchase an Oculus rift, but fear while proven crooks, thieves, and liars still remain at the company, that have done so much damage to facebook and the industry, that I can't trust them to not continue with their skeletor like evil.

elboffor
Consultant
They lost the lawsuit
#justSaying
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

KeldorVR
Honored Guest

elboffor said:

They lost the lawsuit
#justSaying

Its on appeal, game is not over yet.  They  have still not paid zenimax either, so injunctions may go forward if they don't.

OldGamerGitt
Explorer
Regardless of which way the judgment goes i wonder if the presiding judge will impose a "with prejudice" clause
??

Anonymous
Not applicable

kilobulb said:

Yeah, that, Skyrim and Fallout 4 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
if doom and fallout 4 VR will be playable on rift too, it will be a big win for VR itself..