cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To: Full VR Setup (not just the PC) for under $1000

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
YouTube has been full of "VR Ready Machine for $1000" advertisements since last year. So many videos that feel the need to teach people how $1000 will only get you a good PC.

But today I was pleased to see a video that goes a little further, by showing viewers how to start from scratch... and get an entire VR package (new PC, and full VR kit that supports 360 with room-scale) for under $1000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OojpaA_Mn_c

14 REPLIES 14

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

BeastyBaiter said:
On topic, those $15 windows keys are generally stolen. Been covered a million times all over the internet.

Well if it's on the Internet it must be true?

They are not all stolen, but MS has been known to invalidate keys. By the time that happens, either there is a new OS or someone can get a replacement key for dirt cheap.

BeastyBaiter said:
There are also student versions but that requires you to either be or know a college student willing to sell it to you. They also give those students just 1 copy in my experience.

Knowing college folks should be a fairly easy task. Graduates (like me) have permanent Alumni cards making it easy to buy these things from a college/university book store. I've never known there to be a limitation of one copy, but even if that's true it makes zero difference.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
I'm currently back in school (second time around), last time it was one copy of any given piece of software, I haven't tried again this time around for Windows. The other stuff is all account based, so that's definitely 1 user per person, though I can have it on multiple machines. For windows, my guess is you have to give your university email address to get the key for windows and unless you get a different university email address, you've gotten your one license.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I'm currently back in school (second time around), last time it was one copy of any given piece of software, I haven't tried again this time around for Windows. The other stuff is all account based, so that's definitely 1 user per person, though I can have it on multiple machines. For windows, my guess is you have to give your university email address to get the key for windows and unless you get a different university email address, you've gotten your one license.

I was able to buy the OS installation disk right off the shelf, but maybe it's changed. Still, the number of college kids who actually buy their own OS is incredibly small. So even if you somehow use up your own Student discount for an OS, you should be able to phone a friend.

For anyone struggling to make friends...

Anonymous
Not applicable
I haven't bought a copy of Windows EVER. Bill Gates can suck my cock as far as I'm concerned. The best free copy of Windows I got was a leaked copy of Windows Vista that was an OEM version that came with new PCs from Dixons and Currys years ago. It was basically an image of the disc that those two shops used to install Vista on their PCs before they put them on the shelves and sold them. No serial number involved, you just pressed Return when it asked you for one. And Microsoft couldn't do a thing about it because they would have rendered every PC bought from those shops useless lmfao 😛 B)

I've been using Windows since 3.11.

Pic0o
Protege
Wow this thread went to hell pretty quick, jumping off the licensing boat.
Good to know a Ryzen 3 motherboard combo and a 1060 GTX can be had with a rift for ~$1000.  Granted building a system isn't a great fit for everyone.  It's not too bad, but that's easy to say having built quite a few systems over the years.

Back to license things.  Yes you can also get good software deals if you know people at microsoft, who can add you to their friends and family plan.  It's quite legal, granted not as easy as student pricing to attain.  Not all deals are stolen but it's easy to jump to that conclusion.