cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift OVRRedir.exe is not code signed Error

RCFlyer
Explorer
Today I starting getting an error indicating the following:

[LauncherService] Unable to launch:Application 'C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRRedir.exe' is not code signed.

This happens when I am in the VR cockpit and try to calibrate the HMD position.  Everything was working fine yesterday.  I have performed a repair on the Oculus software installation.  I have tried with different aircraft.  Still get the error.

The error causes the sim (P3DV4) to shutdown.  There is no error associated with the sim.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Danny
10 REPLIES 10

RCFlyer
Explorer
I need some help here.  Did I post this in the wrong section?

Danny

droseofc
Protege

RCFlyer said:

I need some help here.  Did I post this in the wrong section?

Danny

Post logs, either oculus  or p3d v4 or both. Also, you can check Windows Event Viewer for any critical, fatal or warnings. When opening the event viewer, let it load and on the main page it will show how many of each have occured in the last hour, 24 hours, and week i believe. Thatd be a good start

Prepar3D has an Option called Content Error Logging

Launch Prepar3D, Go to: Options > Settings > General, Tick the box for Content Error Logging, Click Ok

Any Log errors will be saved in Documents > Prepar3D files v4 > ContentErrorLog.txt

RCFlyer
Explorer
Thanks.  Here is the Oculus log.  I'll get the Event log shortly.

droseofc
Protege
Have you tried running it with windows defender off? Honestly, I play p3d and any other vr game that is not in the oculus library without oculus running. Im sure you have steamvr, though it seems it may not even need to run sometimes. Anyways, if you want you could first open oculus and go to settings, then find safety warning/notification option. If its disabled already, enable and disable, otherwise disable. Make sure 3rd party apps enabled. Exit. Then right click the oculus shortcut, go to the properties. Then go to the compatibility tab. Then, at the bottom click change settings for all users. Then, check the box for run as administrator. Apply and save. For insurity, reboot. Now, oculus will not resource hog whenever u put headset on. U can play steamvr and when needed open oculus directly. After reboot, try p3d again. If its just a black screen, exit and open steamvr and then run p3d again. If all else fails, open oculus (exit steamvr) and run p3d again. If you dont like oculus coming on auto then uncheck box from shortcut properties step. Also, i always run games and vr related as admin, otherwise you could run into permission issues which is some of the errors in ur logs but unsure if its the actual reason or not. 

RCFlyer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions.  I already have most of the suggested setting selected.  Run as Admin, Safety warning/notification option unselected, settings for all users, etc.   I will try with Windows Defender set to off.  It is odd, in that, everything was working great until just a couple days ago.  I ran and reviewed the P3D content error log.  The only items in the log were associated with some gauges, nothing that I was not aware of.  The Windows Event log that is written each time the crash occurs indicates:
[LauncherService] Unable to launch:Application 'C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRRedir.exe' is not code signed.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Oculus and Oculus Tray Tool multiple times with computer restarts between each one with no change in the crash behavior.  

The crash also happen when I use FlyInside with P3DV3.4, so, I suspect the issue is not with P3D.

Thanks again,

Danny

droseofc
Protege

You could try this....

To allow an unsigned application to run as privileged

1. In the Group Policy Management Console, expand Group Policy Objects and then locate the target GPO.

2. Right-click the GPO, and then select Edit.

3. In the Group Policy Object Editor, expand Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Mobile Settings, and then select Application Disable.

4. In the details pane, right-click Allow specified unsigned applications to run as privileged, and then select Properties.

5. In the dialog box, on the Settings tab, choose Enabled, and then choose Show.

6. In the Show Contents dialog box, choose Add.

7. In the Add Item dialog box, in the Enter the name of the item to be added box, type the application hash value, and then in the Enter the value of the item to be added box, type the complete file name of the application.

Dd252766noteen-usTechNet10gifNote:
    The complete file name includes the extension. For example MyExecutable or MyDll should be specified as MyExecutable.exe and MyDll.dll. The complete file name of the application is displayed in Task Manager. It is also displayed in the list of file names that is generated after running Allowlist.exe to produce application hash values.
  8. Choose OK. In the Show Contents dialog box, the application hash value will appear in the Value Name box and the file name will appear in the Value box.

9. Choose OK two times to complete the procedure and close the program.

droseofc
Protege
also, maybe disable UAC if you havent already

cybereality
Grand Champion
It's a permissions issue. This is one of the errors: "Windows encountered an error: The requested operation requires elevation.". Usually that could happen if you user account is limited (it's easier to have your Windows account as an Admin). Or if you ran the Oculus setup installer as "Run as Admin" which you SHOULD NOT do as that will mess up the permissions (this is most likely the issue). 
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

droseofc
Protege

It's a permissions issue. This is one of the errors: "Windows encountered an error: The requested operation requires elevation.". Usually that could happen if you user account is limited (it's easier to have your Windows account as an Admin). Or if you ran the Oculus setup installer as "Run as Admin" which you SHOULD NOT do as that will mess up the permissions (this is most likely the issue). 

Thats odd, I ran my installer as admin without issues and even have the shortcut to oculus.exe under combatability tab and then change settings for all users to Run this program as Admin. Not only do I not have any issues, I also do not have to have Oculus eating up resources while playing a steamvr game, such as it doesnt come up automatically when i put the headset on. But, if the error is there then its there. My question is if it is the error causing p3d v4 to crash. The logs he submitted were like a whole entire book load, I could find errors too but how to know for sure if its the one causing the crash. It'd have to be checked in windows event viewer right after it crashes and look for any errors, warnings or fatal within the past minute or however long it takes to get there. It'd at least point in the right direction. I was going to say in Windows Defender Securtiy Center, there is the App and Browser control section. Under that there are exploit protection settings. Within that, you can click Program Settings and add a specfic program. Under the options for it are numerous things related to code, such as ACG, Code integrity guard, DEP, and preventing child processes. Now I know, on FSX I have had several issues where it force-closed due to not being able to create a child process window. Unsure if related, but sure sounds like it.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?