New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

My PC will shut off after about an hour of flying...

deanp88deanp88 Posts: 3
NerveGear
I have built a new PC.  750W power supply, 16G ram, I7 6700 pcu, MSI gaming board, 1070 gpu.  I use flynside to run x plane 11 in VR with Oculus.  I can fly for about an hour then the PC will usually just shut off and then restart on its own.  Sometimes I have had the screen just go black but sound is still there.  Anyone have any ideas??

Comments

• CardnimCardnim Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Maybe thermalling?
    What temps are the CPU, MB and GPU running at when it all goes ping?
  • Jenkers1992Jenkers1992 Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    probably thermal throttling. make sure that ur cpu and gpu remains at a stable temp.
  • dmdcsmdmdcsm Posts: 75
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thermal issue
  • leppard2leppard2 Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    I would make sure your CPU is not overheating and if it is re apply heatsink and thermal paste.
    If its still getting to hot try an aftermarket heatsink and some good case fans depending on what case you use.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,587 Volunteer Moderator
    Or get yourself an H80 or 100i
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    I got one o these. Its amazeballz.
    DeepCool CPU Liquid Cooler (CAPTAIN 240 EX WHITE) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GZOV5CG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_5NjPzbGPV0Y19

To the OP, its either a heat issue with your cpu or your ram is faulty.
    Most likely to be the first so id suggest getting some decent colling going on (it won't hurt anyway) and then once that is stable you can do a decent memtest session to check you ram.

There is an putside chnace ypu psu is shit, so if its an unbranded one, then you might want to investigate that if all else fails.
    Corsair make some dam good psus (they reliably deliver the power they advertise)
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • deanp88deanp88 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I have a Corsair liquid cooler 110.  The cores on the processor may see 60c at high temps.  Not sure about the graphics card.
  • deanp88deanp88 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    GPU and CPU temps are maxing at about 60c.  I just flew about a 40 minute flight and the oculus headset went black and the window on the screen went black.   However, the FMC I had pulled up was still in view telling me that only the 3D view was effected.  I have already updated graphics drivers.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    It really sounds like some sort of hardware issue to me, maybe a PSU problem. Or (since you mention black screens) some sort of GPU issue. It's hard to say though, I would recommend doing some non-VR stability tests to see if you can isolate the problem.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Use fan control software and set a custom curve to maintain around 60degrees. Run this for any games.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,005 Valuable Player
    Thermal also

also good to see you @Techy111 :):):)

was wondering where you are,
    was going to send an email with my usual flight woes to see if you were fine
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    vannagirl said:
    Thermal also

also good to see you @Techy111 :):):)

was wondering where you are,
    was going to send an email with my usual flight woes to see if you were fine
    I'm all good sweetie :) Just lurking for a bit :) Email away but do it quietly or some white doggy may get jealous :)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• ColinBColinB Posts: 236
    Nexus 6
    Keep to the thread or start a mutual admiration one for yourselves ...please..

ColinB said:
    Keep to the thread or start a mutual admiration one for yourselves ...please..

Yes Sir!!!
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited August 2017
    The best part is that @ColinB is not the OP and never posted in this thread before.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • ColinBColinB Posts: 236
    Nexus 6
    Please moderator, keep to the subject as well.
    Not every person who is interested in this valuable subject is a poster.
    It makes it so much easier and so more professional to keep to the op's post.
    Surely there is somewhere else for all this "I love or I hate you" stuff ??

Maybe we should start a "don't post to this thread" thread for you MrB?  :D

edited August 2017
    Yes Cyber thread drift is a crime ;)

@Colin if you reread my post i kept to the thread also.

If you dislike what i say i seem to remember you sniping at me before. Just use ignore.
  • RiftUser83RiftUser83 Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    If your computer is shutting off, generally in my experience (20 years) the PSU is the culprit.